fighting Ogre Kingdoms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Korpus_festerheart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fighting Ogre Kingdoms

I'm going to have a 1,000 point battle with my friend who collects Ogre kingdoms, so can someone please give me some advice on fighting Ogre kingdoms
    I normally field a nurgle or slaanesh mortal army. i am willing to buy new units if i have to so any advice will be apprieciated.
    My opponent is fielding an army of bulls, guts, leadbelchers and a slave giant (i dont know the exact numbers yet)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Basically any Chaos god would be a decent choice against ogres; yours are good because of resistance to fear.

Ogres rarely field war machines, so furies are only useful for marchblocking. However, the role can also be filled by fast cav, who hit a little harder on the charge. Fast-cav can also charge-bait, which will let you control the battle. Get as many flank charges as possible, this denys attacks from the ogres.

The Slaanesh spell lore could be very useful to control ogre units also, and ogres are often a little weak on anti-magic.

Ogre characters are Rough. Don't get into challenges unless you are completely kitted out for CC, and hesitate even then. On the other hand, Ogres tend not to have much armor, so S6 ought to be sufficient to crack any gut-plate they have available.

If you let us know what you have, we'll be able to give you some specific advice on how to play it.

Cheers!
    -Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My army consists of:

exalted champion of Nurgle
    w/ crimson armour of dargon, soul cleaver and shield
    to take out wounds

LVL 2 Sorceror of Nurgle
    w/spell familar
    debuffin the enemy

12 Warriors of Nurgle
    w/2 hand weapons
    to take out wounds and survive against fear

12 warriors of chaos
    w/ hand weapon and shield
    re roll panic and taking charges and counter charges

15 marauders of chaos
    w/ flails/shield and light armour
    flanking charges and so the leadbelchers can waste shots on

5 warhounds
    dont what to take instead,might use for flanking

Chaos spawn of Nurgle
    poisened attacks for taking out wounds

theres the current army, im willing to buy new units so any help would be helpful

total points cost: about 1087 or 1102 if i take flails and shields
    we have decided on a 100 point leway both ways
    Last edited by kooshlord; June 8th, 2007 at 16:08. Reason: merged posts.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Ok, THIS army is gonna be in a lot of trouble against ogres.

Your warriors are the same unit size as the average ogre unit, with 4 models so US 12. You'll get +1 rank bonus, and as many kills as you can vs. as many kills as they can get, and they get more attacks and better armor negation. Plus a unit of 4 bulls is likely to be cheaper, and is definately faster.

The flail marauders will do some damage the first turn, but since they are slow, they are likely to be charged, and there won't be many left to hit back.

Spawn are just not going to survive very long against ogres, the ogres get too many attacks. It'll serve as a speed bump.

Warhounds are the saving grace so far. They can marchblock units (to stagger the approach of the ogre army) and charge-bait units (so maybe they'll move into YOUR charge range). However, they are low leadership, and so vulnerable to fear, terror, and panic if there are leadbelchers/gnoblars shooting at them.

If you want to switch to cavalry, invest in (Chariots, marauder horsemen, warhounds, knights) in that order, IMO. Chariots will get the charge on ogre units, and seriously hurt the units they charge. They'll also ignore fear effects if slaanesh or nurgle. Chariots work well in pairs. Knights will do the same, with a little more staying power, and a little less damage on the charge (unless chosen). Horsemen and warhounds function as listed above.

If you want to stay predominantly infantry, get big blocks of marauders with hand weapons, shields, light armor and full command. Then put a nice nurgley character in each. This makes the unit have good static CR (+5) immune to fear, and have the potential to do some wounds.

Your mage: you don't have enough power dice to merit a spell familiar, your only casting 2 spells anyway. Get a power familiar and level 2, or lvl 1 and 2 dispel scrolls.

Finally, you have the option of fighting monsters with monsters. Look into the BoC book for a whole variety of monster units. And you can hire ogre units as DOW if you want.

(BTW, 100 points leeway is silly, IMO, because noone will NOT take it. The OK player could get another unit of ogres for that. You might as well just admit you are playing to 1100 points and be done with it.)

Hope that helps!
    -Koosh
    Last edited by kooshlord; June 8th, 2007 at 16:28.
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the advice,
    What size do you reccomend for the warriors?
    What monsters are best suited to fight against ogre kingdoms?
    Are marauders worth having in this match or shall I use other units instead?
    Should i fit marauder horsemen as ranged or melee?

By the way, my oppenent is only using leadbelchers and no gnoblars
    i think he uses 8 bulls and 4 iron guts, 4 leadbelchers, a tyrant, a butcher and a slave giant.
    i believe that is it, but I/m not 100% sure

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

By the way, my oppenent is only using leadbelchers and no gnoblars
    i think he uses 8 bulls and 4 iron guts, 4 leadbelchers, a tyrant, a butcher and a slave giant.
    i believe that is it, but I/m not 100% sure
    Well, if that's the case, you won't need to worry about your 1100 pts list exceeding the 1000 pt limit, the mentioned ogre models already close in on 1200 points and upgrades like standards/musicians or magic items would lift this even further up (btw a tyrant would be a lord choice and not allowed below 2000 points unless you do house-rules)

As for your Opponent fielding no gnoblars I'd say get him with passive boni :shifty:
    Buff up your Marauders to 20 men, and stick the Exalted nurgle Champ with them. Due to the new rules, they'll be immune to fear and the Exalted will get them the kills
    (and scrap one of the chaos warrior units and enlarge the other one)

And for the Exalted Champion: I recommend to get rid of the soul cleaver: To test for a measly extra wound when his regulars already have To4 and his heroes 5? A bit too expensive for what it brings. Rather take the Rending Sword (with an all-ogre enemy you'd finally have enough multi-wound opponents to whack'em down :yes: ) or if you want some points left for defensive items, just the good old Sword of Might
    Also consider of mounting him. A Chaos Steed provides a good boost to his armour save, an extra S4 attack and if you like to gamble, the option of charging out of the unit.
    With the Leadbelchers being a viable target (provided they have already shot on and would need their next turn to reload so that they can't choose stand&shoot). They have outnumbering and perhaps a musician for passive bonus (and the latter only counts in a tie) and the rest is all kills. Your exalted should deal quite some wounds, depending on equipment, and they only hit on 5+, wound on 4+ and if y'er mounted you'd have at least a 3+ armor save.

Anyways, Kooshlord has put most of the basics right (I'd prefer Horsemen over Chariots, but those are just personal preferences )
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what size would you reccommend for the warriors of chaos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some units that I feel would be great against Ogres:

Dragon Ogres - with S7, they'll be able to grind those Scrap Launchers to dust (they're listed as Chariots and Stonethrowers, aren't they?). And that Strength is more than enough to match up with the dreaded Ironguts.

Minotaurs & Trolls - Both are capable of matching up with Ogres on their own, but Chaos Trolls suffer from stupidity and require at least the General near them to ensure they don't mess up. Minotaurs, on the other hand, have better Weapon Skill, Initiative, and Leadership than the Ogres, able to have a Champion and Standard Bearer, can carry Great Weapons, and can also take Marks of Chaos to be even more deadly.

Giants - you'll only be allowed one of these in a 1000pts game anyways, and they're capable of at least causing panic checks on the Ogres if they've got Gnoblars with them. And if the Ogres send everything they have at the Hulking Juggernaught, they'll have probably left a good amount of their forces vulnerable to flank or rear attacks and even worse if they've left their Butcher unguarded against units such as Fast Cavalry. And if you take him, at least you have something to go against his Slavegiant.

Mounted Daemonettes - When I first got a look at these gorgeous babes, I just came to love them (not in the sicko sense, mind you, but strat-wise). They're excellent for hunting down lone enemy units, and they'll be able to make it at least half-way across the table in one move with a March and Charge Move of 20". That, and the fact they're Fast Cavalry makes them a lovely tool if you're playing a Slaanesh Chaos Army.

Bestigors - being nearly a match for the Ogres in speed, they're also capable enough in Weapon Skill and Strength (with those lovely Great Weapons, of course). Aside from being able to take Marks of Chaos, you'll need a Beast Herd in order to use them, which'll work wonders as the Beast Herd can take the brunt of a Charge as a meat shield while the Bestigor wait for a chance to Strike (if you do take a unit of them, just keep them a good Distance back from the Beast Herd in case the Ogres overrun towards them).

Centigors - even though they're prone to going dumb from being drunk all the time, there's still the possible Frenzy that they'll go into. At Movement 8" and March/Charge 16", they'll be able to keep up with an All-Cavalry army with ease. They can also move through woods, so they're handy if you want to pull off a charge from the side at one of their units or heroes.

Bray-Shaman - with Lore of Beasts - if it's an Undivided army - you'll be able to beef up one of your other Characters in order to better face the Bruiser and Butcher. And if using the Lore of Shadow, they'll be able to take your combat capable General as close to either the Bruiser or the Butcher in order to bring them to their knees (provided he doesn't realise how close one of your characters are to their own).

Tuskgor Chariots - that +2 Strength on the charge is certainly worthwhile, as it adds more oomph to a blow to an Ogre unit. Just be wary of the Ogre Bruiser if he's packing a Great Weapon, cause that S7 attack will cost that Chariot dearly; then again, Ogres aren't likely to be charging a Tuskgor Chariot (or the Chaos Chariot, for that matter) real quick unless you're careless. And with that 14" Charge and March Move, it's pretty unlikely to happen. So yes, Tuskgor Chariots are a good choice.

And about your opponent's possible unit selections and quantities, he's going to have panic checks with such a large unit of Ogre Bulls, so be sure to throw the heaviest hitting unit you have against them in order to get some early victory points (just pray he doesn't cast Trollguts or any other beneficial Gut Spells on them, else you'll be hard pressed to win the fight against them). Same goes for the Ironguts and Leadbelchers, except try to keep your hardest hitting cavalry unit out of their shooting range in order to force him to move them towards you. The Bruiser is usually bound to be with the Ironguts, so just be sure to keep an eye on him whilst you're planning...er...scheming what to do next. If you grab some Furies or Fast Cavalry, then use them to maneuver around his army in order to get into range for a charge against the Butcher. And as for the Slavegiant, just try to lure him into getting charged in the flank or rear, else your army'll be ground up into hamburger about halfway through the game.

All the advice I have on hand that I can give you. Good Luck on the rumble.

Edit: Added info on Tuskgor Chariots, in case no one has noticed yet.
    Last edited by Nakkai_the_Wanderer; June 11th, 2007 at 22:10. Reason: just to add summary on Tuskgor Chariots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what chariots are better having in a game like this,
    Chariots of Chaos or tuskgor chariots.
    Also
    Are marauder Horsemen worth it or are there any low cost alternatives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Added advice on Tuskgor Chariots in my previous post. And yes, Marauder Horsemen are a worthy investment, being one of the cheapest cavalry choices - asides from the Warhounds - that a Chaos player can field in small units without eating up too many points. And if they're the building blocks of an army, then they work just as well; just keep their numbers at around 5 or 6 models to maintain enough points to be spent on some of the essential stuff you'll need against the Ogres.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast