How to use screens effectively - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use screens effectively

Given the slow nature of many troops, which units and how do you effectively use screens in the Hordes of Chaos?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I have 4 units which I occasionally use to screen in my army.

Warhounds: the default, fast enough to screen knights, cheap enough to field in droves. Stick them in front of the appropriate unit, run them towards the shooting threat, and done. I field these in min-sized units.

Beast-herds: I usually field a large beast-herd, to screen my infantry. They outrange the warriors/marauders so they work well, and if they aren't too shot up (which they usually aren't, given the skirmish rules) they are effective in melee, unlike hounds.

Furies: as long as they are racing towards the shooting threats anyway, they might as well be between the shooting threats and my melee units. Although sometimes its better to force your foes to choose between shooting the screen and shooting the unit that's gonna assault it, in practice the foe almost always shoots at the furies anyway, unless they are on a hill and screens are irrelevant.

Marauder horsemen: In a pinch, I can run these guys up to take a bullet, the maneuverability helps a lot here.

Cheers!
    -Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Warhounds and beastmen definitely.

I find marauder cav too valuable to use as screens.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beast herds are an excellent screen for slow troops. They may well be the best infantry skirmishers in the game, too, with their multiple attacks, high toughness, and ability to gain up to +2 rank bonus. Throw in a couple characters like a Wargor BsB with the vitriolic totem and a Bray-Shaman with a braystaff and a couple of dispel scrolls and you've got yourself a rock-hard unit.

+ Reply to Thread