Librarium Online Forums banner

which of these character setups is most efficient ?

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Skarsgard 
#1 ·
Here is the the basic list they will go with. I am pleased with the Branchwraith setup, but the other 3 characters might need some tweaking. I play a fast, aggressive kind of style, so I like my guys to take it to the enemy.

10x Glade Guard w/musician
7x Scouts w/musician
8x Dryads
8x Dryads
5x Glade Riders w/musician
5x Glade Riders w/musician
5x Wild Riders w/Musician StdBearer Warbanner
6x Wild Riders w/Musician
3x Treekin
4x Warhawk Riders
2x Great Eagle
Here are the characters and the different setups, I'm thinking of:
Branchwraith Cluster of Radiants, Murder of Spites
Spellsinger lvl1 Dispel Scroll Pageant of Shrikes vs
Spellsinger lvl1 Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll
thinking of having the spellsinger hunt other mages for me instead of just hiding and possibly shooting his bow with the Glade Guard

Noble Scout HoDA Sword of Might, light armor, shield vs
Alter Noble, Great Weapon, Shield, Light Armor, Helm of the Hunt, HoDA vs
Alter Noble, Great Weapon, Shield, Aramathine Brooch, Briarsheath

Highborn Wild Rider Pony Oaken Armor, Dawn spear vs
Highborn Wild Rider Pony Oaken Armor, Sword of Might, HoDA

Basically, for the Noble, I want someone who can get in and marchblock, kill warmachine crews by himself if need be, and add some extra wounds to a big combat. He would be supported in the enemy's deployment zone by the great eagles and warhawks. Scouting would be good, but the alter noble can get into range so quickly, I'm not sure it's needed. I would like to take the HoDA on someone, because in my mind, it's like a mini Anvil (you can tell I play a lot of Dwarves) it can take out a warmachine or thin a unit down of something I don't like or can't deal with well (dragon ogres come to mind). I think the sword of might should work, and the highborn could take the HoDA. Has anyone used the Pageant of Shrikes with success? I think with 5DD and a scroll I should be able to handle most magic (except that super Slaanesh list my friend takes) but with Magic Resistance on several units, I think that I should be okay for the most part.

See less See more
#2 ·
Spellsinger lvl1 Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll

For your list I recommend this caster as you don't want to give free points away by getting too close to the enemy units. Take the Hunter's Talon if you want to go mage hunting. It's a much better option.

Noble Scout HoDA Sword of Might, light armor, shield vs
Alter Noble, Great Weapon, Shield, Light Armor, Horn of the Hunt, HoDA vs

I think either of these is good. Did you mean "Helm" of the Hunt or Horn of the "Asrai"?

Highborn Wild Rider Pony Oaken Armor, Dawn spear vs
Highborn Wild Rider Pony Oaken Armor, Sword of Might, HoDA

I personally think Highborns are too expensive in a 2000pt list. I'd rather take the Scout and the Alter Nobles over these guys. But if I had to pick one I would go take the blue one.

Basically, for the Noble, I want someone who can get in and marchblock, kill warmachine crews by himself if need be, and add some extra wounds to a big combat. He would be supported in the enemy's deployment zone by the great eagles and warhawks. Scouting would be good, but the alter noble can get into range so quickly, I'm not sure it's needed. I would like to take the HoDA on someone, because in my mind, it's like a mini Anvil (you can tell I play a lot of Dwarves) it can take out a warmachine or thin a unit down of something I don't like or can't deal with well (dragon ogres come to mind). I think the sword of might should work, and the highborn could take the HoDA. Has anyone used the Pageant of Shrikes with success? I think with 5DD and a scroll I should be able to handle most magic (except that super Slaanesh list my friend takes) but with Magic Resistance on several units, I think that I should be okay for the most part.
The Pagaent of Shrikes can be a bit hit and miss. Against Dwarves more likely to be miss. The Hail of Doom arrows is hard to leave out, it can be a game winner. I am surprised to see no Annoyance of Netlings, from the armies you have listed it seems you could benefit from a character killer.

#3 ·
thanks for answering skars. I kind of agree with you on the pageant, but 18 isn't that far. He can hang with the glade guard or in a tree. I was thinking hitting on a 3 and str 4 against Empire wizards or elves is pretty good. Against Beastmen and dwarves, not so much.

I meant helm of the hunt (there is a beast item called horn of the hunt lurking in my subconscious)

My thinking that the sword of might could be better, is that my general can take the HoDA leaving my noble better equipped to survive slightly and should I get stuck in combat (I roll terribly and might whiff on the charge) my lord would then have 5 str 5 attacks the 2nd round. I didn't think the effects of the dawnspear would carry over into the 2nd round. I should have initiative to whack back with double attacks with whatever is left. Or will the dawnspear save my bacon (enemy hitting on 5's usually)?

I agree with you that the highborn is expensive, but he has to be to keep him alive. I play 2250pts, I'm just wondering if another noble would be worth it. I would love to fit the annoyance of nettlings in, but I take it for granted that I won't get into combat with the enemy dwarf general and against most other lord characters, I ought to be able to put the hurt on and roll some kind of save.

I may be an idiot for taking a wildrider highborn (the most expensive, limited character) but I want to try a different type of list than what I've seen/played against before (ie. the all tree list or tons of trees with giant eternal guard blocks)

#4 ·
Im not a fan of Wild Rider characters. They are tough, but I think there are better options.

The Branchwraith is good, but Id probably keep her cheap and just use the Cluster of Radiants.

The Spellsinger with the two Dispel Scrolls is the best call. Lots of protection against magic is always nice.

An Alter Noble with the HoDA, HotH, and a GW is awesome and can wreck people. 5 str. 6 on the charge AND the Hail of Doom Arrow?! Thats awesome.

-BigPappa.

#5 ·
you don't worry about your alternoble getting to the battle? I know he can hide that first turn, but he's got to come out to shoot the HoDA sometime. I worry about handgunners and other str 4 shooting getting lucky and hitting him (dwarves would only need 5's to hit him in trees) and they would want to take him down after he unleashed the HoDA. Do you not need to protect him a little? or is not as much of a problem as I think.

#6 ·
You have range, keep him over 24" away and handgunners are no problem. With the Alters speed and manouverability they are fairly hard to get LOS to.

I generally sit back with mine and use him as a counter-charge, but they are so versatile that I pretty much always take them.

#9 ·
Believe me, that character is very aggressive. He fires the HoDA, then still has all the high strength attacks on the charge. He will still decimate war machine crews and fast cav AND use the arrow to tear up whatever you want. Its good stuff.

-BigPappa.

#10 ·
Well what i do with the alter noble build explained above is advance on the very edge of the board and shoot the hail o' doom arrow at the most vulnerable unit he can see and try to go warmachine huntin'.The only reason this works is because on most of the tables i play on there is usually terrain on one side of the table(usually forests).And i had one person have a unit chase him in and lets say a treeman and the noble had a good lunch:p.

#11 ·
yeah, the only problem I can think of is things like the organ gun which just shoot a artillary blast worth of shots. They don't care if the alternoble is in trees or solo, because those penalties don't matter. Leadbelchers are the same way. At first, I should be able to get away with that strategy, but believe me, if I were playing against the WE, I would take out the Alter first thing because of the hurt he can put on. I think my opponents would think of the same thing after a while.

#12 ·
after a couple of games, I figured out that the sword of might on the Wild Rider was illegal (can only take a spear) I played a couple of different builds, but would like to try the Wild Rider Highborn a little bit longer.

I am really big into protecting the elf portion of my characters (because despite what they should do, they like to whiff - last night an alter highborn w/6 attacks rolled 3x 1's to hit an Ogre butcher and then died, because I couldn't get that last wound)
Also over the last 6-7 games the HoDA has done jack for me, so I'm not sure it's worth the points right now and will shelf it for a little bit.

I was thinking I would take the Highborn Wild Rider, Dawnspear(protection for my unit), Annoyance of Netlings (protection in a challenge) and the 3+ward against non-magical weapons (protection vs regular guys) I'm a little miffed about only having str 4 after the first round, but that's probably one of the drawbacks of having a Wild rider and I'll just have to deal with it (pick my battles a bit more carefully)

What do you guys think? Alter Noble will take Helm of the Hunt and either the Stone of Crystal mere or the HoDA.

#13 ·
I pretty much always take the Hail of Doom Arrows.

It's just too handy not to.

The other thing to think about with the Dawnspear Wildrider is that against armies like HE it is useless unless you can strike first. One set up I am toying with is

Wildrider Highborn, Dawnspear, Amber Pendant.

Or Just

Wildrider Noble, Amber Pendant.

This ensures that at least 3 of the enemy models will strike last. If you put him on a stag, even more will.

#14 ·
Yeah, me and this other guy (TK) play HE armies. Everyone else has a different army. The last Rogue Trader a bunch of yahoos came out with HE armies (2days after the book came out) and basically everyone booed them out of the tourney because they were such cheese lists. I'd hate to change my entire list just because of one army. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have to do that. I guess the amber pendant would come in handy in other places. (last night I demolished some ironguts, rolled a 6 to overrun and caught them but then (because I couldn't roll higher than a 6 on 3d6) caught charged by some yhettees and a butcher. I still survived, but hitting first might have helped a bit on that end)
I guess for the Wild Rider Highborn, I could just take a regular spear and bite the bullet and save those points for further protection or the amber pendant if there are more HE players that come up to play. Either that, I'm going to have to learn how to shoot better with my glade guard/riders.

What really irks me, is that the Alternoble is handicapped by ASF. he can only charge things like HE warmachines or flank chariots (not lion chariots), and could still die before swinging. If I give him the HoDA like I want, then he's almost useless vs HE after he shoots it because without a wardsave, he's very likely to die before getting into combat.

#15 ·
What really irks me, is that the Alternoble is handicapped by ASF. he can only charge things like HE warmachines or flank chariots (not lion chariots), and could still die before swinging. If I give him the HoDA like I want, then he's almost useless vs HE after he shoots it because without a wardsave, he's very likely to die before getting into combat.
You have to pick and choose your fights.

LA + Shield + Helm of the Hunt and Handweapon = 3+ Save in combat.

Use it to take on archers and other low strength units. Sometimes the Great Weapon isn't the best choice. So in a tournament setting you still have the "Standard" alter but against HE, just go handweapon and shield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.