2000 points list (new to wood elves) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points list (new to wood elves)

Ok, so I currently have a skaven army although I have not played WFB for a very long time. Anyway, with Christmas coming up and people wanting to know what to get me, I decided on a wood elf army. Therefore I thought I'd try to work out a list so I could work out what to ask for. Here goes.

Noble
    great weapon
    light armour
    alter kindred
    helmet of the hunt

Spellsinger
    dispel scroll
    dispel scroll

Branchwraith
    annoyance of netlings
    cluster of radiants

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Riders (5)

Dryads (

Dryads (

Wardancers (
    musician

Wildriders
    musician
    standard bearer
    war banner

Tree Kin (3)

Waywatchers (5)

Treeman

If I've done my sums correctly then this comes to 1892 points so far. I'd welcome any comments, critiques and suggestions on the list so far and what to do with the rest of the points.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty good only things i would change is give the Alter noble something offensive like some arrows or something. Spend some point and put a commander in the wardancers. And just take care of those glade riders because they are bait cause they are worth a lot of points. Otherwise looks pretty good. Also spend some of those points just to get musicians for the other units too -Remind
    Last edited by Remind; October 29th, 2007 at 19:39.
    - Remind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Noble
    great weapon
    light armour
    alter kindred
    helmet of the hunt
    This guy really doesn't have that extra needed punch. Ya know? The only things I would add to this guy is the Bow of Loren and the Arcane Bodkins.....now that is my favorite guy probably in the entire game and he is one bad MOFO.

Spellsinger
    dispel scroll
    dispel scroll
    Don't see anything wrong here.

Branchwraith
    annoyance of netlings
    cluster of radiants
    I've been running my Branchwraith(s) like this lately and they seem to hold up for quite a while. The only thing that I might suggest is making her a Lv1.....then you get 2 Dispel Dice

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Guard (10)
    Perfect number!

Glade Riders (5)
    These guys desperately need a musician. They're going to be baiting charges and that extra leadership will help you out A TON!

Dryads (

Dryads (
    Best point for point model in the Wood Elves army. Good job!

Wardancers (
    musician
    I always run these guys with full command. It helps...I'll explain later.

Wildriders
    musician
    standard bearer
    war banner
    I'm assuming 5? These guys are a pretty stout unit and can pack a punch. Good unit selection.

Tree Kin (3)
    I have never been a fan of these guys and I never will. They're not fast enough for me but when they get in CC they will sure beat the crap out of stuff. I'm not saying they're a bad unit b/c they're not, they are actually a good unit. They just don't give me that warm fuzzy

Waywatchers (5)
    As for these guys.....they are a good unit.....sometimes. Killing blow doesn't work nearly as much as we want it to and I think you can get a better use of the points somewhere else. If it were up to me I would drop these guys all together for a Wardancer Noble equipped with either the Moonstone of the Hidden Ways or the Blades of Loec and put her with the Wardancer unit. Now depending on whichever item you may choose you have an extremely deadly unit. Now for the reason why I suggested the FC on the Wardancer unit is b/c of challenges. If someone issues a challenge to the unit you can accept it with your Bladesinger instead of your Noble letting her survive for a little while longer. It's just something that has helped me out more times then none.

Treeman
    Can't go wrong with these guys. I run 2 in my 2,000 pt army.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To a certain extent the army is based upon what I like the look of, model-wise and/or funky rules. Inevitably I will end up with more than 2000 points so I can get any models I like to just paint, mix up the list once in a while or for larger games. I mean, my skaven army is at about 650 models so far. That's one reason I'm asking for suggestions, as to decide on a basic 2000 point list so I can specifically ask for certain models for Christmas, instead of just going for anything and then making the list. Anyway, thanks for the help so far peeps, keep the advice and ideas coming.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to put the number of Wild Riders in. It's actually 6.
    Last edited by Absurd; October 29th, 2007 at 23:35. Reason: Forgot to answer something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Ok, so I currently have a skaven army although I have not played WFB for a very long time. Anyway, with Christmas coming up and people wanting to know what to get me, I decided on a wood elf army. Therefore I thought I'd try to work out a list so I could work out what to ask for. Here goes.

Noble
    great weapon
    light armour
    alter kindred
    helmet of the hunt

Spellsinger
    dispel scroll
    dispel scroll

Branchwraith
    annoyance of netlings
    cluster of radiants

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Riders (5)

Dryads (

Dryads (

Wardancers (
    musician

Wildriders
    musician
    standard bearer
    war banner

Tree Kin (3)

Waywatchers (5)

Treeman

If I've done my sums correctly then this comes to 1892 points so far. I'd welcome any comments, critiques and suggestions on the list so far and what to do with the rest of the points.

Cheers.
    Hey there. Welcome.

First off, give your Noble the Hail of Doom Arrow. That is a very common set up that works splendidly.

Great call with the Spellsinger. Looks like youre gearing the army toward magic defense (which is a great idea), so its good to keep her at a lvl. 1 with the two scrolls, good going.

I agree about the Branchwraith. Bump her up to a lvl. 1 to get the extra Dispel Die.

Glade guard are great.

Glade Riders NEED a musician. Fast cavalry gets the feigned flight special rule with a musician, which is the whole point of having them in your army.

Dryads are good. Never be afraid to include more, though. Either in the current units that you have (to increase the chance of outnumbering your opponent with a fear causing unit, but dont go overboard, I wouldnt take the units over 10) or making new units.

I love Wardancers. Throw in a Bladesinger and put them into the flank of an enemy unit and watch how many models they kill. It will be great.

I love Wild Riders, as well. I recommend a unit of 6, though. With full command. Good call on the Warbanner. These guys are a very very tough unit and you want them as strong as possible.

Hmm... Treekin... I find these guys to be the worst selection in the entire list. They're slow and can only generate combat res through kills. Personally, I wouldnt recommend them. If you do end up taking them, dont let them fight alone. They need to be in the front of an enemy unit while something else fights in its flank or rear. Its the only way!!!!

Waywatchers are great, but Id add a couple more to increase the chance for Killing Blow. I take these guys in my current list and they work out great.

And the Treeman. I dont use one, personally, but Im not against them. They can hold an entire flanks and even stop tough enemy units in their tracks. Just be careful for cannons/bolt throwers/pit of shades. This guys will draw LOTS of enemy fire.

Anyway, all together, nice list.

-BigPappa.
    Current Wood Elf Tourney List: 3/1/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, here's revised list following the advice so far. I've dumped the Treekin, to afford the upgrades on other units as suggested. They're the one unit that I feel that were ok to drop from my point of view about liking the models, anyway. To have the bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins I would need to upgrade the alter noble to a highborn. With the revised list I can do that. Is that a good idea or perhaps use the points to get a wardancer noble with the blades of Loec , or maybe another unit of some sort?

Noble
    great weapon
    light armour
    alter kindred
    helmet of the hunt
    hail of doom arrow

Spellsinger
    dispel scroll
    dispel scroll

Branchwraith
    annoyance of netlings
    cluster of radiants
    level 1

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Guard (10)

Glade Riders (5)
    musician

Dryads (

Dryads (

Wardancers (
    musician
    bladesinger

Wildriders (6)
    musician
    wildhunter
    standard bearer
    war banner

Waywatchers (7)

Treeman

Points total so far: 1846
    Last edited by Absurd; October 30th, 2007 at 15:55. Reason: Got my sums wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I thought he was a Highborn.....my bad. I do not like the HoDA, you're paying 30 pts for something that you can roll 3 1's with.....not worth it at all IMO. But to each his own I'll find a list that I have made and see what ya think.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by churchic View Post
    I do not like the HoDA, you're paying 30 pts for something that you can roll 3 1's with.....
    Well, the chances of rolling three 1's is the same as rolling three 6's... thats pretty good odds if you ask me.

Anyway, if you wanna take an alter noble, the Helm of the Hunt and Hail of Doom Arrow are a great combo. Ive taken it many times with great success.

The only thing I think this list is really missing is march blocking power. Throw in some Warhawk Riders. They are AWESOME. Trust me.

Other than that, the list looks good. Perhaps throw in some musicians on the Glade Guard.

If you want a fourth character, a Wardancer Noble with the Blades of Loec in that unit of Wardancers wouldnt be a bad call, but I think the Warhawk Riders are a better idea. They can bait charges for your Wild Riders or take out war machine crews and the like.

Anywho, either of those options will compliment your list just fine.

-BigPappa.
    Current Wood Elf Tourney List: 3/1/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

That is true BigPappa but then you have to roll to hit, and then you have to roll to wound. So lets use Dwarfs for an example as the army you are facing. You roll 3 6's...that's great but then you have to roll to hit so let's say you are hitting on 2's. So you are geerally going to miss 2-3 times. Then you have to wound on 4's which takes the total down to 7.5 but lets just say 8. So you wound 4 guys then they have their armor save that they can use which let's say is a 5+ so one should save and then you killed 3 guys. This math might be a little off (I don't think it is but please correct me if I'm wrong). And I know statistics are just a bunch of BS but when you are paying 30 pts for something that has a random effect it's just not worth it to me. But like I said "to each his own"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to have to think about this one. I have enough points for the minimum of 3 warhawk riders and still have some points left over to make add a couple of extra dryads in there. The wardancer noble is good as well for roughly a similar number of points and I could still have those dryads, or the musicians for the glade guard and one dryad.

Of course, if I'm thinking about what to ask for for Christmas, with the possibility of buying more later, then maybe I should ask for the more expesive warhawks riders.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast