1000 points, balanced list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

1000 points, balanced list

So I've been playing around with lists, and this one feels pretty solid to me. Not too many tricks, just solid units (I like to think). Without further ado:

Alter Noble
    Briarsheath
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Greatsword

Level 1 Spellsinger
    2 dispel scrolls

10 Glade Guard with Musician

10 Glade Guard with Musician

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

5 Glade Riders with Musician

5 Wild Riders with free Musician and a Standard Bearer
    -----------------------------------

I feel like I've got a good balance between speed, resilience (Dryads), shooting and close combat hurtiness. Magic is just there as defense. It's 2 scrolls because my opponent is an Orcs and Goblins player who pretty much always fields 2 Shamen, and my units won't be able to shrug off his magic. (Especially since he tries to 'eadbutt my Alter every chance he gets) (Hey, I would too).

The Briarsheath was added using the last few of my points. I know the standard bearer on the Wild Riders makes the unit painful to lose, but my intention is to take good care of them, since they're really my only decent rank-breaking combat unit.

The HoDA will most likely be used on an annoyingly placed bolt thrower (of which my opponent generally fields 2). His Spider Cav is outclassed by my cav, who can just shoot or run them down and get on with the business of flanking. Or I can just recieve their charge with Dryads. They seem to be tough enough to win anyway.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

That is about a finely tuned 1000pt list as you could get.

I would have no hesitation in running the exact list myself against any opponent. For me, this list needs no changes.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Looks like a very solid list. Just one question though. What do you mean by rank breaking for the Wild Riders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

By that I merely mean that they're capable of negating the rank bonus of enemy block units if they hit the flank or rear. I bring it up because realistically they're the only unit that can do that that I'd really WANT to throw into combat. Glade Guard should be shooting, and will be too unmaneuverable to get the flank anyway (in general), and Glade Riders are most susceptible to return attacks, given their lesser hitting power and lower protection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like this list and don't really feel it needs any tweaking at all.

It's solid in each phase without being overpowered in any one of them. In fact I think I may find myself trying out this list this weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

If you have 2 points left it would be good to give your alter a shield for the defense against shooting.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I think if you are determined to have a spellcaster, you should switch to the Branchwraith lvl1 with cluster of Radiants. He's the same price and while he doesn't have scrolls, he provides 4DD which ought to be more than enough in 1k games and he is tougher, has a ward, and 3 WS6 attacks. I also think you could get away with having another noble for the same price and not notice the difference. Most of the damage spells bounce off of screening dryads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

I was thinking the same thing as Buckeroo, in that the Spellsinger might be a bit much at 1k. A Branchwraith would serve the same purpose, more or less, and supply more effective beatings.

Those small cavalry units (Glade Riders, particularly) also look like they're too expensive for what they'll realistically be able to do. Perhaps they could be replaced with some Wardancers?

I'm just thinking out loud, it's a pretty well-tuned list, so any change would be based on strategic thinking, not just points optimization.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

The glade riders provide the very important ability of "Bait and Flee", they should be small and expendable. The option of drawing a powerful unit out of position is priceless.

The Wildriders are perfect at 5-6 models. They don't get rank bonus so there is no real point to making them bigger. They provide handy strength 5 attacks and can negate rank bonus which wardancers cannot.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoaran View Post
    If you have 2 points left it would be good to give your alter a shield for the defense against shooting.
    With the current list, I actually had to get rid of the Alter's shield and light armour (which were there initiatally) to put the Briarsheath in. If felt that the -1 to hit (and more if in woods, which he often is) was worth more than the 1 extra armour save. Especially since my opponent often takes a banner on his night goblin archers that gives them poison attacks, I want him hitting on 7s.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckero0
    I think if you are determined to have a spellcaster, you should switch to the Branchwraith lvl1 with cluster of Radiants. He's the same price and while he doesn't have scrolls, he provides 4DD which ought to be more than enough in 1k games and he is tougher, has a ward, and 3 WS6 attacks. I also think you could get away with having another noble for the same price and not notice the difference. Most of the damage spells bounce off of screening dryads.
    I've seen this suggestion made to others before, and having given it some thought, I've gotta say that I'm really not that keen on Branchwraiths, and here's my reasoning:

1. The Branchwraiths will generally be going with a unit of Dryads, right? Those things that can't flee charges, and while tough, are supposed to be right in the thick of it as a hard hitting, but expendable if necessary, force. In my mind, it doesn't seem right to be sending my only magic defense into melee, which is where the Dryads will be. The Spellsinger I can keep back with my Glade Guard who generally don't cop too much, since my opponent is worried about my other forces that are surrounding him as he advances...

2. I don't see the Branchwraith as a good combatant. Same number of attacks as a Branch Nymph, and 1 extra wound. The WS6 means little to me, given I fight Orcs and Goblins who I hit on 3s generally anyway.

3. A Branchwraith that's a level 1 Wizard and has a Cluster of Radiants costs the same as a Spellsinger. For mine, I prefer to have a couple of dispel scrolls over an extra dispel die. Mainly because, because of the fragile nature of WE units, I feel that there's the odd spell that just HAS to be stopped, and you can't rely on dice to do it for you. On top of that, hopefully I've neutralised at least part of the enemy magic power before I run out of scrolls, and so being on 3DD will be enough. Obviously for a larger game I'd have to get a couple more DD.

Buckero0, you say you reckon I could have another noble for the same price. Do you mean that I should have a 2nd noble, in addition to my Alter and my Spellsinger/Branchwraith?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast