2K, getting back into Wood Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

2K, getting back into Wood Elves

It's been a while since I've broken out my Wood Elves, but I think it's time to let the Tomb Kings rest in their tombs for a while and have my elves burst forth from the woods and wreak havoc.
    I'm still toying around with a list, but I'd like to see what people have to say about this prototype. This is made up of most of the models I own, and this army won't see light for a while until it's fully painted, but without further ado:

Highborn; Steed, Dawn Spear, Briarsheath, Shield, Hail of Doom Arrow - joins a Glade Rider unit

Noble; BSB, Oaken Armor - joins Eternal Guard

Spellsinger (lvl 1); two Dispel Scrolls - joins a Glade Guard unit, or hides in the woods

10 Glade Guard; Musician
    10 Glade Guard; Musician
    6 Glade Riders; Musician
    6 Glade Riders; Musician
    12 Dryads
    24 Eternal Guard; Full Command

6 Wild Riders; Full Command, Warbanner
    6 Wardancers; Musician

6 Waywatchers

I can't quite remember if this is exactly how I had my Highborn guy kitted, heck I can't even remember what the Briarsheath does (-1 to hit and light armor or something), I may have given him the Helm of the Hunt instead. I might make him a Wild Rider kindred and have him join the Wild Riders, I don't suppose it'd be too hard to find the points, I could just take out a Glade Rider or two - I just think that doing that will make a very large and deadly basket filled with some relatively fragile eggs)

I also notice a lot of the armies I play against bring very little magic, but a very high magic defense, so not a lot of magic defense needed on my part. However, if things begin to sway to a higher magic game, I can replace one Glade Guard unit with a Branchwraith (lvl 1) with Cluster of Malevolents and maybe squeeze in the Annoyance of Nettlings on her to up my magic defense and close combat capabilities.

Anyways, comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

First off, you couldn't have had the briarsheath on the noble as it only is available to characters on foot. I also prefer WW's in units of 5. I would probably also drop a few of the EG and use points to get 2 units of 8 dryads if you have the models.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Woops. It probably was the Helm of the Hunt then for his magic armor.
    Haven't got the models for that many Dryads. What of the rest of the list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it all depends on your play style. I would drop down to 5 WW or just let them go for a squad of scouts. I would aim to add a great eagle something that can get across the board fast to get war machines, lone mages anything along those lines. its 2 more inches then your glade riders and a solo target people tend to forget about it and ignore it.

The mighty TREEMAN ugh I love this guy hes a staple in any army I build Some hate some love just an amazing guy extremely awesome.
    Mostly for a little more price then your eternal guards you get an effective unit to hold combat save vs alot of wounds and has a better chance of causing wounds then the eternal guards.

if take away that hero and the guards Treeman can be added drop the dryads down to 8 add the champion. and a Branchwrath lvl1 caster +1 dispell dice spirits would make this army pretty sick. Lots of bang for your points. oo and maybe a great eagle.. Nobody ever sees it coming.. NINJA OF THE SKY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Aha! Now I remember.

He was:

Highborne; Spear of Twilight, Helm of the Hunt, Fimbulwinter Shard, Hail of Doom Arrow, Steed, Shield

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Not knowing what models you have, its hard to offer absolute advice. In general, I would say that your EG is a little heavy, drop down to 20 including full command. The dryads are a little heavy as well, from 8-10 is better IMO. Lose 1 WW as well. You can use the points for whatever you have. Upping the WD's to 7-9 would help I think. Getting a great eagle would be nice as well. You can also drop the GR's to 5 if you need more points.

As for your characters, the issue is with your highborn. You are over the 100 point limit with your last post. And it appears to me that he is a cc character in a non cc unit. If you want him to be a combat character, I would suggest making him a wild rider kindred with The Dawnspear, Fimbulwinter Shard, and Helm of the Hunt. If you want to go with the GR's, gear him toward archery with Hail of Doom Arrow, The Hunter's Talon, A Pageant of Shrikes, and an Enchanted Shield.

There is my opinion. But as written, it is still a good army.

SirKently

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I agree the EG are a bit big and the dryads work better in smaller groups, but you can still get away with the bigger unit, they usually take some casualties and make a great big screen if needed. I would drop the GR to 5 each with musician regardless of what you do and maybe bulk up those wardancers too. I like the waywatchers at 6 and the ability to march block before the turn starts is usually a blessing.

As far as the Highborn goes, there may be times when riding with the GR might be awkward in that a normally low point flee & bait unit, suddenly becomes a unit you need to protect because your Lord is in it. I don't like the Fimbulwinter Shard, because all of a sudden your WR or dryads might turn stupid when you don't want (rare, but it will happen).

Wild Rider kindreds can't take the Helm of the Hunt. Oaken armor makes him nearly impossible to kill though (5+armor, 5+ward, 4+Regen)

for me, treekin and the treeman add a level of toughness and strength that the rest of the WE units lack. You don't have a lot of units that can pack a punch, or withstand someone shooting back. Maybe the wardancers are you punchers, if so, I would bulk them up, but they never seem to do much, because on the 2nd turn, they're expensive str3 elves.

You could play the list as is, but I think you'll want to tweak a few things after a few games, even if you're winning, to make things more effective.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    Wild Rider kindreds can't take the Helm of the Hunt. Oaken armor makes him nearly impossible to kill though (5+armor, 5+ward, 4+Regen)
    Oops, new I should have doubled checked my post.

I do like the fimbulwinter shard with the Dawnspear on mounted characters though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Thanks for the replies. I'm home now and checked my list. The Highborn was totally wonked up. For some reason, I gave him Arcane Bodkins - which is pretty useless without the Bow of Loren (I musta been rushing or sleepy). Also, my Glade Riders are only five models each.

Like I said, I'm kinda model limited right now. The only options I currently have are three Warhawk Riders, eight Scout models and a few character options - including a Great Owl (counts as an Eagle, but I converted to an Owl because I have a 'night' theme).

The large Eternal Guard unit is a byproduct of my Tomb Kings, where ranked skeleton blocks come in large with at least 25 strong, and usually 33-35 strong. Plus, Eternal Guard are my absolute most favorite unit in the entire game of warhammer - Beautiful models, excellent lore and enough special rules to reflect their special nature without making them over the top cheesy.

edit: I'm through using the word 'fluff'. I've always hated it because it sounded gay. From now on, I'm using the term 'lore'.

The Wardancers are a bit screwey. They are a necessity on the table, but I really hate the models that come in the regiment box. So my unit consists of the three command models and the three direct order only models that are doing cool ninja flips and twirls. I agree, this unit should be about 8-10, but I think I can get all six into combat without a scratch being I'm very very good at manipulating terrain deployment and then exploiting it with my Wood Elf army.

I might toy around with making the Highborn Wildrider and giving him the Twilight Spear and Oaken Armor. The Fimburwinter Shard will probably move to the BSB then. Either that or the Annoyance of Netlings spite. The BSB is just too useful to be so vulnerable with T3 and only two wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Overall, I think that it is pretty soild list. I totally agree with the getting the Wardancers into combat w/ shooting casualties, I usually prefer tree surfing w/ the free forest. However, you might want to consider taking Wild Riders instead of Glade Riders. Personally, I find Glade Riders limited in their use since they cost so much and really aren't meant for charging. Wild Riders on the other hand, I feel like they are a heck of a deal for what you pay for them (fear, extra attacks, magic resistance, ARMOUR SAVES! just to name a few) and at worst are a great fire magnet. They can act as great flank support and definately can go character/warmachine hunting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast