Aggressive Low Point List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Aggressive Low Point List

My group and I are on the verge of larger lists, but until then we play 750pts. The list below sounds like a fun deviation from my usual lists as it can play a little more aggressively than my shooty-based lists. Tell me what you think. My usual opponents are dwarves, HE, DE, and tomb kings.

Hero:
    Branchwraith: cluster, lvl 1

Core:
    10 Glade Guard: musician
    5 Glade Riders: musician
    9 Dryads: champ

Special:
    6 Wardancers: musician

Rare:
    5 Waywatchers

I have quite a few units and numbers. I have decent dispel (4 dice) and a good balance of shooting and combat. The main aspect that I'm unsure of is the choice of hero. I think its the best against the variety of enemies that I have because I need magic defence against all but dwarves. A noble with HoDA is tempting but then I'm wide open for magic. A spellsinger with dispel scrolls is virtually useless against dwarves. I think an other noble config is the only viable option, but I don't know what to give him. What do you think?

My usual set up (terrain, enemy dependent of course) is to have my archers in a central woods with wardancers behind to support them. Then on a weak flank, I quickly move my riders as a screen for my dryads. My waywatchers marchblock and disrupt.

I haven't finished a game with this list since my friend (DE) had to leave early, but I got to deploy and play a turn. The waywatchers killed a harpy and caused them to move to avoid them. His dark riders moved to deal with them but couldn't hit them with shooting (-1 skirmishing, -1 forest stalker, -1 forest, -1 moving). His repeater crossbows couldn't really hurt my dryads as they were in woods as well. Lastly, his witches were in the sights of my archers and riders so they were going to loose a ton.

Last edited by Rhoaran; February 14th, 2008 at 16:55.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I think the waywatchers are a little to expensive at this point level. If you give them up, you can get a unit of 5 scouts which can accomplish most of the same things, and have points left over to beef up the wardancers,or if you are willing to give up the branchnymph, you can also have a great eagle. At this point level I think the more units you have the better. Your hero is fine as is, if you find in playing that you don't need the magic defense, than a noble with HoD is nice in small games to, though your opponents may not like you too much.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I find that numbers are usually my problem so I splurged a little on the WW. I have also seen that the opportunities for scouts are slim given the terrain we usually have so the added capabilities of the WW are necessary to get behind rather than infront of the lines. I like HoDA but I've always botched the wound rolls even when I need 3s. Consequently though, my friends have yet to fear it, so it will be a mighty shock when it works right. I will probably add the noble when we go to 1000pts which will happen soon. Without magic defense, I would feel so vulerable because my dryads rely on not getting hit by magic and my other forces thrive on shooting penalties which magic missiles ignore.

Thanks for your input.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

for an aggressive list, I'd probably switch out your hero for an elven noble (maybe wardancer noble). I love the branchwraith, but I really don't think magic should be that big of a deal at 750 pts. TK only have certain spells, and you can usually predict which ones they're going to incant. DE should only get 1 spell off per turn if you're dispelling on average. HE could be a problem if the guy is a jerk and brings the ring and jewel of dusk or banner of sorcery, but still, he'll only know 3 spells including drain magic which shouldn't affect you all that much. Plus if he takes all that, he won't have very many regular troops to deal with. A branchwraith on the other hand, can only take 3 str4 swings at anyone which, while it's pretty good, it's not near as good as a noble with helm of the hunt and great weapon or a wardancer noble on his first turn or any of those type of combinations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

The DE guy likes lvl2 sorceresses and they have some nasty spells.

The TKs aren't that big of a problem except that the summoning banner is a headache on chariots.

The HE are the real problem. While he has backed off a bit on the magic because I've gotten lucky in dispelling previously, their is little chance I'm going to stop flames of the phoenix or fury of kaine cast with 3 dice plus a ring of fury. Blocking his magic has given me the edge to get a win and 2 draws against him to stop the tide of losses (~3).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

To be honest, I don't think this list is terribly aggressive.

Myself, I usually run something like this at 1000 pts.

Noble, HoDA, general.
    Branchwraith, Lvl 1, cluster

10 GG, mus
    10 GG, mus
    5 GR, mus
    8 Dry
    8 Dry

6 Wardancers, mus, champ (or drop champ for lt armor, enchanted shield on hero)

Eagle

Regardless, WWs are too much at this point level IMO.

EDIT: Duh, I just read 750 pts!

How about,
    Noble, HoDA, lt armor, enchanted shield
    10 GG, mus
    5 GR, mus
    8 dryads
    8 dryads
    6 wardancers, mus, champ
    eagle

More shooting. More combat units with extra dryads. A second unit with long range. More support from heroes. And the all-important HoDA, which really shines in low pt games. More than 10 models more than your list.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; February 19th, 2008 at 03:46.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    To be honest, I don't think this list is terribly aggressive.

Myself, I usually run something like this at 1000 pts.

Noble, HoDA, general.
    Branchwraith, Lvl 1, cluster

10 GG, mus
    10 GG, mus
    5 GR, mus
    8 Dry
    8 Dry

6 Wardancers, mus, champ (or drop champ for lt armor, enchanted shield on hero)

Eagle

Regardless, WWs are too much at this point level IMO.

EDIT: Duh, I just read 750 pts!

How about,
    Noble, HoDA, lt armor, enchanted shield
    10 GG, mus
    5 GR, mus
    8 dryads
    8 dryads
    6 wardancers, mus, champ
    eagle

More shooting. More combat units with extra dryads. A second unit with long range. More support from heroes. And the all-important HoDA, which really shines in low pt games. More than 10 models more than your list.
    I like your list, but the amount of magic that is used in my club necessitates defence. I agree that my list isn't overly aggressive. I was simply more so than some of my others (i.e. it only had one GG unit rather than two). I've moved away from GR since I've had several bad games with them. I understand their usefulness, but I'm sacrificing them for more dryads. And I'm keen to try an eagle; for some reason it never occured to me.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try your list.

+ Reply to Thread