2000 pt Trial Tourney List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

2000 pt Trial Tourney List

This is the Wood Elf army I am planning on using in a local tournament soon. There is a fair mix of heavy armour, horde and magic with High Elves being a bit of a favourite but Ogres, O&G and Brettonians also have a decent representation.

The Highborn will be placed in the smaller Wardancer unit and the mounted noble will initially join the Gladeguard unit along with the Spellsinger, after first turn the noble will leave the unit and move about by himself. The Scouts will deploy with the rest of the army to act as skirmishing firesupport. Against armies with low shooting the Noble will join the Gladeriders to give them some punch.

Any comments on things I may have missed would be appreciated.

Lord
    Highborn – Light Armour, Shield, Great Weapon, Bow of Loren, Starfire Arrows, Amber Pendant

Hero
    Noble – Light Armour, Shield, Spear, Hail of Doom Arrows, Helm of the Hunt, Elven Steed

Spellsinger – 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core
    20 Gladeguard, Standard Bearer, Musician

10 Gladeguard Scouts, Muscian

12 Dryads

12 Dryads

6 Glade Riders, Musician

Special
    6 Wildriders, Standard Bearer, Warbanner

3 Warhawk Riders

5 Wardancers, Bladesinger, Musician

7 Wardancers, Musician

Rare
    Eagle

Thanks

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    This is the Wood Elf army I am planning on using in a local tournament soon. There is a fair mix of heavy armour, horde and magic with High Elves being a bit of a favourite but Ogres, O&G and Brettonians also have a decent representation.

The Highborn will be placed in the smaller Wardancer unit and the mounted noble will initially join the Gladeguard unit along with the Spellsinger, after first turn the noble will leave the unit and move about by himself. The Scouts will deploy with the rest of the army to act as skirmishing firesupport. Against armies with low shooting the Noble will join the Gladeriders to give them some punch.

Any comments on things I may have missed would be appreciated.

Lord
    Highborn – Light Armour, Shield, Great Weapon, Bow of Loren, Starfire Arrows, Amber Pendant
    Starfire arrows over Arcane Bodkins, interesting choice. I would consider making him an alter.

Hero
    Noble – Light Armour, Shield, Spear, Hail of Doom Arrows, Helm of the Hunt, Elven Steed
    A wood elf with a 3+ armour save. Don't see that every day.

Spellsinger – 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core
    20 Gladeguard, Standard Bearer, Musician
    How do you plan on deploying and using these. 20 wide is a big footprint and ranked for combat you can't maximize shots. And do you really want a standard with glade guard. And if you split them into 2 units, you can split the scouts into 2 units of 5.

10 Gladeguard Scouts, Muscian
    See above.

12 Dryads

12 Dryads
    Wouldn't 3 units of 8 be better. More maneuverable and better at screening your other units.

6 Glade Riders, Musician

Special
    6 Wildriders, Standard Bearer, Warbanner

3 Warhawk Riders

5 Wardancers, Bladesinger, Musician
    If you are going to put the highborn here, I would suggest making this unit the one that is 7 strong. I would make both units 7 strong personally.

7 Wardancers, Musician

Rare
    Eagle

Thanks

The thing I would worry about with the opponents you are facing is that you won't have enough magic defence. By the time you reach your enemy you may already be dead. Of course that last line makes no sense since you won't reach them if you are dead but you get my drift. Hope you don't mind my opinions.

May the dice gods be with you,
    SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I can understand the highborn and noble not being alters, your opponents look like they could blast them apart if you left them open. thats just based on your opponents, i find people never target an alter though.

i think unit sizes are too large, units of 8 dryads work much better. 20 guard? i know you probably get them on a hill but thats a firebase that your opponents will want to get rid of. expect something to go for them. 2 units of 10 is very effective in my experience, and just give them musicians.

definately increase wardancer units to 7 or even 8 if you can. i've been keen to try 2 units myself (only run one). up the numbers and tell me how it goes.

Also, i've noticed people round here dont seem to like Treemen. I have found them game winning, as your opponent will still try to hit him with something, fail and then tree-kin/wildriders/wardancers/dryads come in and cause total destruction.

Good luck, and tell us about your results!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Well, Wood Elves are unbeatable don't you know. Of course, now and then we throw a few games so that others don't get too discouraged.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Why the starfire? Are you facing Skaven and O&G?

I agree about the 20 archers. If you're expecting lots of hills, then you can deploy two units of 10 in 2 ranks just as easily as you can 20 archers in 2 ranks.

Plus taking units of 10 gives you more deployment options with your models.

I assume you have a mus on the wild riders?

What is the rare choice "Thanks"? Is that DoW? :rofl

*dammit, I used another smilie*
    Last edited by DavidWC09; April 22nd, 2008 at 01:32.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Oh, ha ha David. I want a refund of my dollar.

Ok, why I chose the list I did.

1. Composition restraints are quite tough, minimum sized core units will get a severe penalty while the larger ones will give a bonus.

2. Despite them being unsual, they are quite effective.

3. I wanted to something slightly different from the norm.

I have used most of these units in other lists but this is the first time I have used them together. I have tried to stay away from Alter characters as they have become a bit of a "sure thing" and I wanted to see if I could make an effective list without them.

Starfire arrows, I find these to be a often unused gem. Some horde units have 30+ models and getting enough casualties to force a panic check can be problematic. Using starfire arrows allows me to force panic checks with just one casualty, also they are magical arrows so have added benefits against daemons, ethereal and forest spirits.

The scouts, are great at going toe to toe with pesky highelf or, heaven forbid, woodelf archers (add crossbows to this list). The -1 to hit due to being skirmishers means that I can move around and shoot all 10 at another missile unit and hopefully take it out with fewer casualties.

The big one, the gladeguard. This is a modification of a setup I used in a 3000pt tourney last year. They loose a few shots but their added survivability and static cambat resolution means they can see off a lot of "missile unit hunters" and preserve their victory points. And against large targets they really don't suffer that much. Being able to add and remove ranks and not suffer penalties comes in handy when that giant is about to charge.

Yes, the wildriders have a musician. 0:

I have tried to make an effective list whilst adding something new.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread