2000 points - Tournament Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points - Tournament Army

Hi there, I have been playing warhammer for about 4 months now and I have been slowly putting together a Wood Elf army, though each time I make a list and play test it, it always gets stomped. I aware im very new to the game and the regulars at my local store are beardy players who always go to every GT they can get to, so they always seem to beat me unless they can roll all the ones and twos for an entire game against me and even then it normaly only turns out to be a draw.

The reason why I'm posting my army list is to see if my army list is actualy bum, or its just my skill at playing warhammer that is letting me down. So without further ado here is my army list:

Lord:

Highborn:- 286 points
    Greatsword, Alter Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, Oak of Ages

Hero's:

Spellsinger:- 175 points
    2 x Dispel Scrolls

2 x Dispel Scrolls

Core:

10x Glade Guard:- 126 points
    Champion

12x Dryads:- 156 points
    Champion

Champion

Special:

10x Wildriders:- 296 points
    Full Command

3x Treekin:- 215 points
    Champion

Rare:

Treeman:- 285 points

5x Waywatchers:- 128 points
    Champion

Total Points:- 1998 points (I think)

Three things I think are wrong with this list is that are:

- Placing too many points into the Alter Highborn
    - Taking Waywatchers
    - Not enough dispel dice

Im guessing most people will reccomend I take some wardancers, and lower the dryads to about 8 per unit with no champions, though I have had realy bad experiances with Wardancers, since they always seem to bounce off enemys and cant take a hit. And I find that dryad units die too fast with only 8 models in a unit.

Though your free to comment and help me out with my list, I realy want it to tournament standerds since thats what my store's level is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Elidis View Post
    Lord:

Highborn:- 286 points
    Greatsword, Alter Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, Oak of Ages
    My first question is what is the "Oak of Ages" and where does it come from. My second question is why do you lower is combat ability by including the HoDA. I don't think you have too many points in the character, but I think you need to concentrate on either combat or archery and get a different hail of doom delivery vehicle. A favorite build for a combat highborn of mine would be Helm of the Hunt, An Annoyance of Netlings, and amerathine brooch.

Hero's:

2 x Dispel Scrolls

2 x Dispel Scrolls
    Wood elf magic is nothing to send signal fires home about. I think it is a waste of points to have 2 level 2 mages. Scroll caddies are the norm in a non magic heavy list. Usually 1 caddy and a level 1 branchwraith with cluster of radiants is good for defence against the non heavy magic lists.
    Core:

Champion
    Champs are not worth the points, get a musician.
    Champion

Champion
    I prefer 8 myself, but many others like 10 or 12, so whatever suits your style is what you should go with.

Special:

10x Wildriders:- 296 points
    Full Command
    Too big, try to find the points for two more even if it means dropping some command models, and break them into 2 units of 6.

Champion
    I like these guys 4 wide myself. In this list though, with a treeman, the wild riders and alter, I think I would leave these guys in the forest. Get some warhawk riders for another quick unit.
    Rare:

5x Waywatchers:- 128 points
    Champion
    Nothing wrong with waywatchers, but you don't need the champ.

Three things I think are wrong with this list is that are:

- Placing too many points into the Alter Highborn-Not an issue if he works
    - Taking Waywatchers-Some like them, some don't but if you know there will be woods they are good
    - Not enough dispel dice-Branchwraith will help this out, but unless you are going really magic heavy, its a burden wood elves live with.
    I think what your list lacks is numbers. Having a treeman, and treekin with wild riders really eats up a lot of points. I would drop one wizard for the wraith, make the other a level 1. Get at least one more unit of Glade Guard, and a unit of Glade Riders would be nice to. Get another character for the Hail of Doom Arrow and whatever else I thought of above.

Hope this helps to get you started on a new list. Post anything you come up with or questions about why I suggest certain things. And check out some of the other armies list for some good ideas.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, first the answer to your questions:

"Oak of Ages" isnt the name of the item, its actualy "The Oaken Armour"

I thought it was a good Idea to slap the HoDA onto the alter since he was my very mobile hero choice in my army list and its a decent item for its points.

Here is my revised list:

Lord:

Highborn:- 266 points
    Alter Kindred, Greatsword, Helm of the Hunt, Annoyance of Netlings, Amaranthine Brooch

Hero's:

Spellsinger:- 140 points
    2x Dispel Scroll

Branch Wraith:- 140 points
    Level 1, Cluster of Raidiants

Core:

Musicision

Musicision

12x Drayds:- 156 points
    Champion

Champion

Special:

6x Wild Riders:- 192 points
    Full Command

Full Command

Champion

Rare:

Total:- 1994 points

Got rid of HoDA, which is a disapointment, but I dont have the points. Made my Alter Highborn like you reccomended, put in another unit of glade guard and change them to musicisions rather than champions, I got 2 units of 6 wild riders rather than the block of 10. Im not keen on War Hawk Riders, I dont like the models, and Iv just brought and built my treekin and it seems an awful waste of money just to throw them out of the army, plus they can be useful for flanking stuff when a treeman has something in the front, though it rarely happens.

Only issue is that that the Highborn only has a 3+ ward against non magic, that quite bum against vampire counts (which is the main army used at my store) though I can live with it, I just dont think he will live as long as having "The oaken armor" I can scrape the 2 dryad champions to get it if you think its a smarter move. though Ill wait for some feedback.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Elidis View Post
    Ok, first the answer to your questions:

"Oak of Ages" isnt the name of the item, its actualy "The Oaken Armour"
    I originally thought this might be the case, but with helm of the hunt, it made the character illegal. For future reference, you can only take one magic item per category per character.

Lord:

Highborn:- 266 points
    Alter Kindred, Greatsword, Helm of the Hunt, Annoyance of Netlings, Amaranthine Brooch
    If you don't make the change suggested below, you need to give him light armour and a shield.
    Hero's:

Spellsinger:- 140 points
    2x Dispel Scroll

Branch Wraith:- 140 points
    Level 1, Cluster of Raidiants

Core:

Musicision

Musicision

12x Drayds:- 156 points
    Champion

Champion

Special:

Full Command

Full Command

Champion
    Champs aren't worth the points for 1 more attack.
    Rare:

Total:- 1994 points

Only issue is that that the Highborn only has a 3+ ward against non magic, that quite bum against vampire counts (which is the main army used at my store) though I can live with it, I just dont think he will live as long as having "The oaken armor" I can scrape the 2 dryad champions to get it if you think its a smarter move. though Ill wait for some feedback.
    The netlings are there for the characters in the VC army. Just challenge so they need 6's to hit you. If you want a save against magic attacks, scrap the helm and get the armour of the fey so you have a 3+ vs nonmagic, and a 4+ vs magic attacks.
    I like this list much better. Here are some additional options for you to consider.

What you could drop:
    1)Treekin champ-I think this guy really has to go
    2)The command group on one group of wild riders
    3)The champ on one unit of the dryads, you only need one for the group the wraith is in
    4)The glade guard musicians if you need the extra points but they are good to have

What you might want to pick up:
    1)A fourth treekin
    2)A great eagle
    3)A warbanner for the first unit of wild riders
    4)The armour of the fey for the alter

Hope that helps and have fun.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread