first atempt 2000 pts. help needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first atempt 2000 pts. help needed

Hi, so far I have only bought the codex an looked it through, and this is the first serious list i have come up with.

Alter Highborn. bow of loren, arcane bodkins, biting blade enchanted shield, briarsheath.

Alter noble, great weapon, light armour, shield, annoyance of netlings, helm of the hunt.

Noble (general, hail of doom arrow,enchanted shield, biting blade.

Spellsinger, 2 scrolls.

10 GG, musician, general goes here.
    10 GG, musician, spellsinger goes here.
    10 GG, musician.

8 dryads, branch nymph.
    8 dryads, branch nymph.
    8 dryads, branch nymph.

6 wildrider, standard, banner of zenith.

3 warhwak rider, wind rider.
    3 warhwak rider.

6 waywatchers.

Think its pretty balanced, but let me hear what you guys think about it. as i said i do not have any play experience, so any sort of crityque is apriciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by wack-tapaz View Post
    Hi, so far I have only bought the army book an looked it through, and this is the first serious list i have come up with.

Alter Highborn. bow of loren, arcane bodkins, biting blade enchanted shield, briarsheath.
    You have two magic weapons and two pieces of magic armour. It's a common thing to max out on magic stuff when you're starting, but WEs can really do well if characters aren't completely maxed out.

Alter noble, great weapon, light armour, shield, annoyance of netlings, helm of the hunt.
    This is a very nice character. The netlings could prove problematic if you want to go character-hunting (like, if a unit champion accepts a challenge), but a GW and the HotH combine very well.

Noble (general), hail of doom arrow,enchanted shield, biting blade.
    You have two enchanted shields and biting blades in your army. Otherwise, it looks like you only have said weapon because you can. Again, cheap characters tend to be more points-effective.

Spellsinger, 2 scrolls.
    Very common build (known as the scroll caddy, often shortened to "caddy"). Generally very effective against armies that use magic.

10 GG, musician, general goes here.
    10 GG, musician, spellsinger goes here.
    10 GG, musician.
    That's a lot of shooting there. If you need extra points, you can drop a unit, and still have some decent shooting.

8 dryads, branch nymph.
    8 dryads, branch nymph.
    8 dryads, branch nymph.
    Dryads are a player-favourite unit. They move quickly, pack a mean punch, and can be very tough to kill. Although I think that maybe three units is a little excessive.

6 wildrider, standard, banner of zenith.
    Wild riders are a fun unit. What does the banner of the zenith do? I refer to WE banners by their effects; "the marchblock banner", "the banner of pursuit" etc, and my book's too far away to get right now. The banner that means you do better on pursuit, and the war banner are both good choices for wild riders.

3 warhwak rider, wind rider.
    3 warhwak rider.
    Personally, I'd make this a unit of four, and drop the remaining two.

6 waywatchers.
    Waywatchers are good, but not everyone likes them, since they're very expensive. Personally, I think they're a really good unit if you can use them right.

Think its pretty balanced, but let me hear what you guys think about it. as i said i do not have any play experience, so any sort of crityque is apriciated.
    My main concern about this army is the lack of troops present. I also notice no wardancers. My advice would be to make your characters cheaper, drop out a unit of warhawks and galde guard, and add a unit of wardancers, and something else (maybe also drop the waywatchers to get in a treeman if you can get the points from somewhere).

Otherwise, I also think maybe two alters can be a bit overkill. People have had success with two before, but I think you should at least consider a branchwraith with a cluster of radiants. She's a nice character to use with dryads, and can do her job as a cc hero. You'll also enjoy the extra dispel dice (indeed, it is dice if you make her lvl1).

Hope that helps,
    -AFG//

ED: Wow, 2,500th post. I only noticed just now. *runs off to have a midlife crisis*
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; December 13th, 2008 at 02:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah your right. the highborn shoul change biting b. and enchanted s. for great w. and normal shield.
    I would propoply keep all the gg and way watchers, just because its WE and i want the army to be shooty. I could cut back on hawks and dryads for wardancers, but are they really worth it??? I meen they gave a good cgarge, and the dances are great, but compared to the dryads that is 12 points... I dont know, again havent played yet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by wack-tapaz View Post
    yeah your right. the highborn shoul change biting b. and enchanted s. for great w. and normal shield.
    I would propoply keep all the gg and way watchers, just because its WE and i want the army to be shooty. I could cut back on hawks and dryads for wardancers, but are they really worth it??? I meen they gave a good cgarge, and the dances are great, but compared to the dryads that is 12 points... I dont know, again havent played yet...
    First up, could you please edit that post a bit? I found it rather hard to read (I really am getting old here o_O).

Have a look through other army lists, and the Great Moments thread. Wardancers have managed to earn a high level of respect in the WHFB world. If they're charged, their survivability is amazing, and they are raw killers on the charge.

WEs tend to be more about speed, ambushes, and ninja-killyness. Shooting is more a dwarf's speciality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I definatly agree that the wood elves are no longer a "shooty" army. they are the really annoying army that won't sit still so you can hit them. Our shooting is more of a method to weaken units, and keep the enimy moving forward i(n a paticular direction if done right).

Three units of archers is too hard to manage, as they take up alot of space and need clear Line of sight to hit anything.
    I would not reccomend making your highborn an alter kin with that item combination. I like the BoL and the Arcane bodkin combination, but find it to never really earn their keep on a solo character. In a recent game, i used those items with the Amber pendant on a normal highborn, and it worked much better. I would start him off in a unit of archers and move them up 5" a turn and fire, while keeping a unit of EG behind them. when the time came, i moved the highborn back into the EG.this way, he got a few turns to shoot up the heavy calvery, and then do some damage inside a strong combat unit. much more cost effective, as he still did as much damage with the bow, but turned the tide in HTH combat aswell (dark elf assasins do not like always striking last)

On the topic of characters, I'm not really sure where your general goes. he could only join a unit of archers, which isn't a good place to spend a whole battle.

Anyways, here are my suggestions:
    Fix the item choices, and always give the characters Great weapons.
    Take one alter kin only
    trade one unit of archers for a unit of glade riders (1/2 as much shooty, but way more use)
    3 units of dryads is too many, 2 units of less than 10 should work
    2 units of warhawk riders are too many.
    warbanner for the wildriders
    Wardancers are pimps. 9ish is a solid size
    a treeman is a must-have for a beginer. they are tough as anything, always a threat to your oponent, and able to do something in every phase of your turn (move, magic, shoot, fight). it isn't nessisary to have one, but it makes life so much easier.

+ Reply to Thread