1000 Tourney Game agains't WoC soon, Help please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Tourney Game agains't WoC soon, Help please

Ok so I have a game against the new WoC, I have not played them yet so I don't know what to expect at all, it's only a 1000 point game so I cant envision him taking many models as he is the most expensive army out there. I'm thinking hes going to field more marauders than anything else.

My game plan, Take lots of mobile shooting and wear him down with a hammer unit of 8-10 War dancers to clean up the scraps Or max out on Dryads and try to out number him. I was thinking something like this but I'll write up an official list when I get home

Alter Noble - 158
    Hoda
    Gw
    S
    LA
    HotH

I'm thinking between a shooting noble and a branch wraith for my leader.

Core
    10 GG- 120

10 GG- 120

10 GG - 120

8 drayds - 96

8 drayds - 96

with another character and some Wardancers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough one because he can really mix up what he takes, I would expect a L2 mage and either some knights or tooled up (shields) Chaos warriors, and you're shooting won't do much against these guys. By all means take some, as it will protect you from marauder horse, but you really want to fight this battle on your terms, so take some hitty troops. It may be cheesy, but a tree man, although a quarter of your army, will really provide the CC power you need . A gunline list probably won't achieve much, unless he brings a predominantly marauder army, in which case he will outnumber you heavily.
    Don't forget the will of chaos rule, he re-rolls all panic tests.
    Things to think about bringing in my opinion are wardancers, dryads and either tree kin or a tree man, and I personally am not a fan of treekin.
    Let us know how you do, and what he brings, hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Jeremiah, just noticed the wardancers in your list, I do apologise. I am all bunged up with cold, in my defence. Your list actually looks pretty good.
    If some of my comments seemed a bit negative, don't take them as such, I was merely thinking out loud as it were- I also have a game against WoC coming up (2000 points) and am in aquandory how to deal with some of their stuff.
    I hope my alter (set up like yours) and tree man can open some cans!
    Otherwise I'm in trouble- I think he runs 2 x knights and a jugger mounted character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list is actually really good. And for the 2nd hero I would definitly take the branich wraith with Lv1 and radients so if he has a Lv2 youu can probally stop magic with 4 DD in 1k. And how many wardancers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the list that I'm thinking of, I'm going to try to force multiple combats and go for table corners, treeman goes after anything that looks tough. alter hunts characters and hopefully it works out.. I thought that glade gaurd wouldn't be able to get much done and that they were a waste, hopefully this works out well, I am still considering dropping the treeman for two more units of 7 or 8 wardancers or another unit and some glade riders.. I really know nothing about chaos or what to expect so I'm going on what i can figureout around here, maybe i should check out their book at the shop sometime.

Heroes/Characters
    Alter Noble- 158
    HoTH
    HoDA
    LA
    GW
    S

Branch Wraith - 140
    lvl 1
    CoR

Core
    3x8 Drayds - 288

Special
    7 Wardancers- 126

Rare
    Treeman - 285

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really good army list. Use the hail of doom arrow to wipe out his annoyance/support units such as marauder horse. His hounds shouldn't cause you too much of a problem, your dryads will slaughter them. I wouldn't drop the tree man, he's the best thing you have to take on his knights if he brings any, or failing that, to help combi-charge his warriors. Avoid his ranked units if he has any, even his marauders hit pretty hard with flails, with ws 4 and strength 5, and if they're khornate they'll have frenzy so will have two attacks each. His warriors are just nasty.....
    Good luck and be sure to tell us how it goes.
    Ps, his knights will most likely have magical attacks so be careful with your spirits around them.

Take it to them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Guys, game in a few hours I'll let you know how the defenders of the forest fair against the Daemon worshiping fools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got killed, Long story short chaos knights break two units of dryads and over-ran my War Dancers, while my Tree Man got swamped in combat with his marauders. He had two sorcerers and didn't get a single spell off the whole game. My mistakes were as follows

- Never engage your Tree Man in combat with anything less than half his total VP cost.

- Never charge your alter noble into the front rank of any unit, even if the Tree Man is there to help

- Never overestimate the combat ability of Drayds. They are mediocre core units and should strike at flanks and rear against most opponents.

- Not taking any shooting at all in a wood elf army is not a good decision, no matter who the opponent is.

I lost my spot on the battle board, and my next opponent is Wood Elves...go figure.
    Last edited by Jeremiah L.; February 9th, 2009 at 18:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't be down on yourself pal, not all battles can go the way of the Asrai, and it was your first game against chaos, and they are pretty fiercesome in close combat. I personally think chaos are a pretty tough match up for Woodies, as they don't have much soft stuff to pick on. Even their "weak" units are pretty tasty, marauders costing 4 pts, WS 4 and buying flails for a point... ouch!
    Better luck next time, and ask the forum for advice, it'll be interesting hearing everyone speak about how to BEAT Wood elves for a change!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to hear about the loss, I think where you went wrong was attempting to out-do chaos at what it does best, CC. would have been a better idea to go heavy shooting with the wardancers to flank/protect anything that gets charged, I've been beaten solidly by WE's many times, and it's always their manouverability/wardancers that get me. good luck next time!

p.s. if khorne asks's, I was never here
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast