3300 WE vs 3000 DE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

3300 WE vs 3000 DE

Hi
    next game in my campaign, i am up against dark elves. they have invaded my fortified city, granting my a 10% bonus to my army. we have agreed for a 3000 point game.

The list i have come up with is as follows:

Orion with Dogs
    Spell weaver level 4 with Wand of Wych Elm and Lore of LIFE
    Level 1 branchwraith with radiants
    Level 1 singer with 2 scrolls

2 units of 6 wildriders, full command
    2 units of 8 dryads
    3 unit of 10 Glade Gaurd (special)
    2 units of 8 wardancers with champ
    3 treemen.

My opponent is a pretty good player and knows WE himself. I have a feeling he will bring:

Heavy Magic
    Hydras
    Shooting
    assasins
    A dragon

The plan is. . . . to bring orion and let him win.
    ok ok it isn't that simple. He will hang back and avoid the shootng for a turn or 2, waiting for the dragon to come into range and fire away with his bow at whatever looks good (like a dragon). treemen can either move spread out and move up close to the hydras, or act as a shield for orion for shooting/getting charged (line them up and hide him behind them). The GG will probably shoot at his RXBs or any calv he brings, while the skirmishers do what they do best and run around to where they can fit. the wildriders will attempt a flank to support them. The Spellweaver, with some luck, will cause some troublew with howler wind, and with even more luck, be around to heal orion when he starts to take wounds.

9 DD with re-rolls and 2 scrolls will hopefully be enough to handle whatever magic he throws my way. 5 attempts at treesinging will hopefully get some terrain to move when i want it too.

I'm really nervous and unsure about this list. I have only once played a 3k game and it was a disaster, i have never used orion and I have never used magic other than athel loren. I do not know if this is a good idea to field against a veteran, but I figure that the less conventional of a WE army i bring, the worse off he will be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

The only glaring weakness I see in the list is that there is no BSB. With 3 treemen, I would definitely want one. Other than that, all seems fine. Are you committed to using Orion. Not an overly powerful character.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

I am not committed at all, it just seemed to make sense. He's got +2 DD and a STR 7 charge. I will need those for his heavy magic and dragon/hydras. I can't really think of too many other ways to deal with those things. if you have any ideas of alternatives, I'd love to hear them and consider them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Just musing here, but how about a dragon of your own. Or a spirit sword weilding alter to take out the big stuff.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

i thought about the dragon already. Actually, I thought about taking BOTH =P
    However, the dragon highborn ends up being only slightly less points than orion. Between the choice of the two, I'm not sure the dragon is a better choice. The Boltthrower bow and +2 DD are hard to pass up for extra movement, slightly better stats, and str 2 breath template.

How would you tool the dragon lord tho, that is something I did not fully consider

spirit sword. against other elves? no thanks =P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

The revised list.
    I dropped one treeman to free up points for troops and items for the characters
    I put the mage lord on a steed and gave her the glamourweave tailsman. This will give her some protection to a very valuable caster.
    I added a BSB and gave him the Royal Standard
    I mereged the 2 seperate units of wildriders to form 1 unt of 12 and gave them the warbanner, and added one nekkid unit of 5 wildriders for orion to join. this way, he is less suseptable to shooting and gains the benifit of their Magic Resistence of 1. at almost 600 points for orior, and 130 more for the unit, it will be the target for much shooting and spells.
    I axed a unit of wardancers to pump up the dryads to 9 each and gave them champions, and the remaining wardancers to 10

I'm hoping that 12 wildriders can survive a turn or 2 of shooting and get into combat fast. the BSB was added to give the treemen some extra holding power (assuming he doesn't get capped) and provide me with additional magic defence. I know he is going to force me forward with his shooting and magic, and that I won't be able to outshoot him, so I'm aiming for something that will survive the shooting to get into combat. All i need to do is pull of a minor loss and I'll be happy.
    Last edited by talismanictattoo; February 13th, 2009 at 09:58. Reason: Edited as the first revioun did not include enough core choices

+ Reply to Thread