All comers tourney list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All comers tourney list

Army total: 2000 points

Hero Choices

Spellsinger (90 ) Dispel Scroll (25) dispel scroll (25) - 140

Noble (75) BSB (15) Warbanner (25) Annoyance of nettlings (25) Light armour (2) – 142

Noble (75) Alter Kindred (25) Hail of doom arrow (30 ) Briarsheath (15)
    shield (2) great weapon (4) – 151

= 433
    Core Units

8 Dryads @ 12 pts - 96
    8 Dryads @ 12 pts - 96
    8 Dryads @ 12 pts - 96

10 Glade guard @ 12 pts each - 120

5 glade riders @ 24 pts each Musician (9) -129

= 777
    Special Choices

6 wild riders @ 26 pts each inc Musician - 156

7 x Wardancers @18 pts each Musician (7) - 133

=289
    Rare

Treeman -285

9 Waywatchers @ 24 pts each -216

=501

3 dispel dice, 3 power dice, 1 bound spell. 85 models

The BSB joins the Wardancer unit, and holds a flank with the treeman, and the mage hides all game, and the alter, both cav units and an unit of dryads go warmachine and mage hunting.

I've had three batles with this army now, and managed two solid wins against VC and a high elf star dragon list, and a minor loss against a Dark elf list, that I really should have done better against.

There are some restrictions on the army composition, primarily no more than 50 points spent on magic items. Also, no double rare or triple special, and at least 500 points spent on core.
    Anyone want to share their wisdom with me on this list? I will appreciate all comments.
    The BSB has done very well for me so far, and the waywatchers do a great job of distracting the enemy, although they always die in this role, they usually tie up more than their points worth for a few turns letting me concentrate on the rest of the enemy.
    I took briarsheath on the alter insead of the classic helm of the hunt because he still packs a punch in combat, but he is that bit more durable against enemy shooting, meaning he can charge missile units and not be killed by the stand and shoot, and still cause large casulties.

Last edited by WelshElf; February 24th, 2009 at 00:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Your list looks well balanced, and considering the rules you have stated, It does change things up a bit. Here are just some ideas that have worked for me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshElf View Post
    Army total: 2000 points

Hero Choices

Spellsinger (90 ) Dispel Scroll (25) dispel scroll (25) - 140

Noble (75) BSB (15) Warbanner (25) Annoyance of nettlings (25) Light armour (2) – 142

Noble (75) Alter Kindred (25) Hail of doom arrow (30 ) Briarsheath (15)
    shield (2) great weapon (4) – 151

I'd take the annoyance off the BSB and put them on a TMA (upgrading your normal treeman). I don't much care for BSB's, as combat is either won solidly, or lost so badly that a re-roll won't affect it. thats just me and my rolling tho.
    With the TMA, you can also bring the radiants, beefing up your rather weak magic D, and hitting a TMA on 6's will prevent him from taking too much damage.

If you did remove the BSB, you have a few more options. For hitting power, a wildrider or wardancer noble with a magic weapon can add some punch. I like the spear of twilight for killing blow, it really helps take out those really tough characters. Alternativly, you can go with the branchwraith for more DD (if you forgo the tma), or another scroll caddy. Or, you can take a waywatcher noble with the moonstone, and possibly save that fat unit of waywatchers from the butcher's hands, being extra annoying to your enemy.

I like the twist on the alter. I'd miss the 5 attacks, but being able to charge an archer line from the full 18 charge range does have an apeal.

= 433
    Core Units

8 Dryads @ 12 pts - 96
    8 Dryads @ 12 pts - 96
    8 Dryads @ 12 pts - 96

5 glade riders @ 24 pts each Musician (9) -129

= 777

A little excessive on the archers and dryads. I'd drop one of either, if not one of each.

Special Choices

6 wild riders @ 26 pts each inc Musician - 156

7 x Wardancers @18 pts each Musician (7) - 133

=289

I like to put the full command on the wildriders with the warbanner. this tends to push them from Decent to dangerous.

Rare

Treeman -285

9 Waywatchers @ 24 pts each -216

=501
    As you mentioned, the waywatchers tend to just die, and it seems like a waste to bring almost double the minimum amount just to hand over when you could probably acomplish a similar result with 5 or 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some really good ideas; thank you.

I know the magic defence is a bit slim, but it hasn't let me down so far, and I mage hunt right from the get go too.

The BSB is there less for re-rolls and more for what he can offer the wardancer unit; he lets me challenge their fighty characters with impunity, and live, and he then adds +2 combat resolution against the enemy, which so far has tipped the scale in my favour aginst a big unit of cold ones with a fighty lord, and against an unit of black knights with a wight king. I was going to drop him in favour of a different character too, but he is actually doing his best to convince me of his value in the army.

I definitely might try a TMA though, hadn't thought about him, and indeed, I've never used one.
    Some great ideas, and I thank you for your comments.
    Welshy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I will just add my agreement to what Mr. Tattoo said. An ancient treeman would fit the list well with the restrictions you have.

Not a fan of the BSB in the list you have, but if you take an ancient it may be worth it. Definitely would drop the warbanner and get him a save. Oaken armour would be my choice. And get a champ in the wardancers to accept a challenge instead of him.

I would cut down the waywatchers by at least 2. And drop at least one unit of dryad and/or archers. Then get another special unitl. A unit of 3 warhawk riders could be good for going after small units. I like warbanners on wild riders as well, but I don't always take a champ. Sometimes its good to have no one who can be challenged if you are hunting a particular model.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread