Wood Elve 1000 point starter list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood Elve 1000 point starter list

First off my excuses for posting this list seein there are numerous lists allready out there stating to be a 1000 point list for a beginner.

Before you look at my list you should know this is an learning army for me. I really anticipate to be serious with wood elves in the 2000/ 2250 range and on tournaments. So I want to learn to work with a versatile army consisting shooting behind an anvil of dryads and wardancers. The treeman is there so I can learn with him how to play because I eventually want a bigger army with the Treeman ancient in it.

Well, now you know im a newby at this game and what I want with it, let's take a look at my list:
    Wood Elve army list, 1000 point

Heroes/Characters Points
    Alter Noble (HoTH, HoDA, LA, GW, S) 158

Spellsinger (SoD) 115

Core Units
    1x8 Dryads 96
    1x10 Glade Guard 120

1x5 Glade Riders (with mus) 129

Special Units
    5 Wardancers 90

Rare Units
    Treeman 285

Total cost is 993

So, leave ur comments. Also If you notice how to upgrade this army into a nice working 2000 or 2250 point army, please let me know

You're standing on a hill, overlooking the battlefield. You, by yourself, against 10.000 man. There's only one thing on your mind at such a moment...
    WTF is my theme song?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a good balanced list, I would worry only about magic defence (Flickering fire can be brutal w/ your TM) but the alter can mage hunt. And for the pionts you are short of 1000 you could buy a musician for the GG.
    Dago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Seems like an OK learning list at the 1k level, although your games really are going to revolve around your treeman. You should at least purchase a musician for your wardancers as it would fit in your required points limit. Your army will provide a good basic core to expand off of.

Most WE lists I've seen at the 2-2.25k point range look something like this:

Lord choice (treeman ancient, highborn or spellweaver)

Standard Alter

1-3 mages (spellsingers with dispel scrolls, branchwraith with cluster of radiants if you dont have a TMA)

0-3 glade guard (most people go 2 or 3, units of 10-13)

0-2 glade riders (again, most go 1-2, units of 5)

1-4 dryads (units of 8 )

0-1 eternal guard (usually 0 )

1-2 wardancers (units of 7-8 )

1-2 wild riders (units of 5-6)

0-1 warhawk riders (units of 3-4)

0-1 treekin (units of 3-4)

0-1 great eagle

0-1 treeman (1 if no TMA, 0 if TMA unless you want to run the risk of being accused of cheese)

So you usually have a core of melee skirmishers and ranked archers supported by some melee fast cavalry, some harassment, and a couple of heavy hitters in the form of a treeman, a standard alter, and maybe a highborn and/or some treekin. The highborn is typically kitted out as an alter (basically just a souped up version of the standard alter, who isn't taken in this case), a machine gunner (bow of loren + arcane bodkins), spirit sword (very useful against some armies, terrible against others), or wardancer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I upgraded my Wardancers Troupe with a musician making my total get to exactly 1000.

Now I am busy with my 2000 point list, maybe 2250 that depends. I am absolutely sure I will take the Treeman Ancient. I am thinking of taking 1x Spellsinger lvl 2 with 2x SoD for Magic defends. Maybe take a alter kitted out with him for magehunting.

With that I am thinking focusing this army on hardhitters on horse, meaning multiple regiments of Glade Guard and Wild Riders. I just love units on horses. Making my Glade Guard be the annoying lure and bait.

I am a big fan of the melee units in Wood Elves because they are so beautifull to paint. I also want the army to be really me. But this will deffo gonna end up in some flaws. Melee wood elves army tend to get creamed I think.

Ill work further on my list and hopin for more comments on the 2000 and 2250 range based on my 1000 point army.
    You're standing on a hill, overlooking the battlefield. You, by yourself, against 10.000 man. There's only one thing on your mind at such a moment...
    WTF is my theme song?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Your 1k list looks OK. But personally I would be against a treeman in a 1k game. Not that it won't help, but I think it is a crutch because it is so hard to get rid of at this level. As you say you are new to wood elves, I would suggest a list that maximizes units so you can get used to using the movement phase to best advantage. I would think a unit of wild riders, another unit of dryads, and upping your wardancer unit would give you more experience in playing the army and the tatics you will need going forward.

For your 2k+ army, I assume you meant glade riders when you said glade guard. Anyway, if you want a "melee" army, you are correct in that they do tend to get creamed. But it is still viable. With treemen, treekin, eternal guard, you have three half way decent anvils. Then with the horses, especially wild riders, you can have a good hammer.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sir Kently,

thanks for the fast and helpfull reply. I think you are right about the units and leaving the treeman out. Maybe I'll get him so I can paint and convert it allready then (got some nice autumn lumps and created my own autumn colorscheme)

Leaving me to the units, Ill get back to the drawing board for my army list then. The fact that I can take wild riders and expand my wardancers is in mather of fact also great news.
    (expensive though for my wallet seein I don't have wild riders yet)
    WTF is my theme song?

+ Reply to Thread