choices, choices... hard tourney coming up - help? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

choices, choices... hard tourney coming up - help?

Hi there…

I have two lists I’m trying to decide between for an upcoming 2250 tourney. Which do you think would be the better route – or if there are recommendations for any changes, that would be really appreciated as well. We’ve got some power gamers coming up for this local tourney (I’m rather used to more balanced opponents) which are going to include some demons (yeah I know, good luck eh?), Double Hydra / magic heavy dark elves, vamps, and mortals for sure…. Want the most effective list I can muster in this type of environment…. Any comments are greatly appreciated!

List One:

Highborn
    Alter Kindred; Great Weapon; Light Armour
    The Bow of Loren Enchanted Shield Glamorweave Arcane Bodkins

Spellsinger
    Dispel Scroll Dispel Scroll

Branchwraith
    General;
    A Cluster of Radiants An Annoyance of Netlings

Noble Alter Kindred;Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield
    The Helm of the Hunt Hail of Doom Arrow

Core:

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

5 Glade Riders Musician

Special:

4 Tree Kin

8 Wardancers

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous Musician Standard Bearer

Rare:

1 Treeman

1 Great Eagle

Total Roster Cost: 2246

List Two:

1 Treeman Ancient General;
    An Annoyance of Netlings
    A Cluster of Radiants
    A Murder of Spites
    A Pageant of Shrikes

Noble
    Alter Kindred; Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield
    The Helm of the Hunt Glamorweave

Spellsinger

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer)
    Great Eagle
    Asyendi's Bane Hail of Doom Arrow

Core:

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

5 Glade Riders

Special:

4 Tree Kin

8 Wardancers

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous Musician Standard Bearer

Rare:

6 Waywatchers

Total Roster Cost: 2249

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I would probably take the first list, although I'd make changes to either one. How flexible are you in terms of changes?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I am not really a fan of either list if I am being honest. Don't get me wrong, both are good standard wood elf lists, to which I would suggest some minor changes like I usually do. But in the tournament environment currently, I think we need to get away from the standard wood elf lists.

A spellweaver list I think is a reasonable choice in todays games. Gives you the ability to stand up to those massive power dice lists. Also gives you time to get into combat with your troops almost intact.

Another option is a dragon list. Gives you a decent hitting monster that can go against things that we don't have much else to use against.

My third option would be the spirit sword weilding alter. More risky, but can pay off greatly, and gives you at least a chance against just about all armies.

If I had to pick one of the listed options, I would go with number 1 also, but with a few changes as well.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely open to changes of course!

however, I don't own the dragon model... so wouldn't be able to add that....

always thought that the spellweaver was rather limited magic wise so never tried him out... certainly if you have any suggestions to maximize his effectiveness I'm all ears!

thanks alot for the advice... I'm really don't have my heart set on either list, however made up a couple of standard options I'd likely field (to ancient or not to ancient)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

The spellweaver is more about magic defense than anything else. If you can get a few spells off with him then great, but really you're mainly taking him for the wand of wych elm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but really you're mainly taking him for the wand of wych elm.
    Yes, being able to re-roll one dice on those pesky power level 3-4 spells is really nice!

I have also seen a spellweaver used in a unit of wild riders with annoyance, 3+ ward, glamor kindred and I believe another defensive item. The standard, try not to die in a challenge kit. The lvl 4 was also fielded with 2 more level 2s to help with getting magic off. The list did really well at the tournament I was at.

With the Weaver at level 3 or 4 and taking 2 level 2s you have some pretty decent magic options. Regeneration, making a unit of dryads cause terror, magic missiles, treesings ... all nice things the lvl 2s can accomplish.

Your weaver then has the option to take beasts ( bears anger on the alter, beast cowers, magic missiles, free move) , life against shooty armies (anti shooting spells, hill attacks, regain wounds on the treeman) and the great athel loren for the same reasons the lvl2s would take it. Getting our level 6 spell off on units already in combat is really fun. Throw is some power stones for an even nastier magic phase!

Unfortunately, I have found that using a spellweaver never works out as well as I would have hoped. Miscasts are annoying and you really need to plan ahead as to what spells you want to get off and where. Maybe I've just been bad at using them =).

But back to the lists...

I also like the first list more but these are my suggestions:

Machine Gun Alter Highborn - Cool stuff but whenever I use him I REALLY miss that ld 10 army general.

Magic D - 4 DD + 4 scrolls is my favorite thing to use. 2 extra scrolls is better than 1 DD per turn imo. Annoyance is fantastic but I'd find a way to put it on a better fighter. I love my branchwraith model but I hate how she performs on the battlefield. Although one game she did tie up a War Alter for 3 turns!

Minor changes - consider getting a musician in the wardancers and drop the standard from the wild riders. Or, take 6 wild riders with warbanner =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Ohh man, getting bear's anger off on a standard alter = Living The Dream. 8 S6 WS7 attacks on the charge! It'd be pretty great with a wardancer killing blow dance character too -- 6 S6 WS6 KB attacks (assuming you lose the wardancer weapons bonus).

As far as changes to the lists go, I'd do the following:

1. Get rid of the treekin from both lists.

2. Add a 6th wild rider and war banner to both lists.

3. Turn the Branchwraith into another scroll caddy in the first list.

4. Drop the murder of spites and pageant of shrikes from the TMA in the second list.

5. Either switch the alter noble in the second list to an Amber Alter or drop the magic items on the BSB in favor of the Oaken Armor and switch the alter to a Standard Alter.

6. Drop the second rare choice in either list and add a second Treeman. If you do this in the first list, drop one of the scroll caddies in favor of a BSB.

So, list A:

loses 4 treekin, branchwraith w/ annoyance + cluster, great eagle (425 pts)

gains 1 wild rider, war banner, treeman, noble BSB w/ optional great eagle mount and Oaken Armor or light armor (428-526 points)

In order to accommodate the extra 50-98 points you'd either drop 3 war dancers (for either the eagle or the Oaken Armor) or a unit of dryads plus the shield on your standard alter (for both the eagle and the Oaken Armor)

List B:

loses 4 treekin, loses alter, loses waywatchers, loses 2 spites (612 points) plus optionally Asyendi's Bane, Hail of Doom Arrow (40 pts)

gains 1 wild rider, war banner, treeman, either Amber Alter or Standard alter, plus optionally Oaken Armor (492-544)

If you do the item switch on the BSB and take the Standard Alter, that leaves you with 108 points to play with. If you don't do the item switch and take the amber alter, it leaves you with 120 points to play with. Either way gives you several options -- add another unit of glade guard, another unit of dryads with a few points left over for trimmings, or you can cut a wardancer or two on top of that and get another unit of wardancers or wild riders.

So that leaves List A as:

Highborn
    Alter Kindred; Great Weapon; Light Armour
    The Bow of Loren Enchanted Shield Glamorweave Arcane Bodkins

Spellsinger

Noble BSB; (Optional Great Eagle mount, Optional Oaken Armor -- otherwise Light Armor)

Noble Alter Kindred;Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield (Optional, remove if taking Eagle + Oaken Armor above) The Helm of the Hunt Hail of Doom Arrow

Core:

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads (Optional, remove if taking Eagle + Oaken Armor above)

5 Glade Riders Musician

Special:

8 Wardancers (3 models optional, 5 Wardancers if taking only Eagle OR Oaken Armor above)

6 Wild Riders of Kurnous Musician Standard Bearer War Banner

Rare:

1 Treeman

1 Treeman

And list B as:

1 Treeman Ancient General;
    An Annoyance of Netlings
    A Cluster of Radiants

Optional: Noble (Alter Kindred); Great Weapon; Briarsheath; Shield; Amber Pendant (take if not switching to Oaken Armor below)

Optional: Noble (Alter Kindred); Great Weapon; Light Armor; Shield; Helm of the Hunt; Hail of Doom Arrow (take if switching to Oaken Armor below)

Spellsinger

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer)
    Great Eagle
    Asyendi's Bane Hail of Doom Arrow (Optional: Oaken Armor Instead)

Core:

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

5 Glade Riders (Optional: add musician if choosing Oaken Armor option above AND 6 Wild Riders w/ Musician option below)

Special:

8 Wardancers (Optional: remove one model if selecting 7 Wardancers option below. Remove two models if selecting 6 Wild Riders w/ Musician option below and not taking Oaken Armor above. Remove 3 models if selecting 6 Wild Riders w/ Musician option below and taking Oaken Armor above.)

6 Wild Riders of Kurnous Musician Standard Bearer War Banner

Rare:

1 Treeman

Optional Core/Special (Choose One Option):

10 Glade Guard (may choose if not taking Oaken Armor above)

9 Dryads (may choose if taking Oaken Armor above)

10 Dryads (may choose if not taking Oaken Armor above)

7 Wardancers (may choose whether taking Oaken Armor above or not. If you choose this option, remove 1 wardancer from existing war dancer unit. May add musician if not taking Oaken Armor)

6 Wild Riders w/ Musician (may choose if taking Oaken Armor above or not. If you choose this option, remove 2 models from war dancer unit if not taking Oaken Armor. If you choose this option and Oaken Armor, remove 3 models from war dancer unit and add musician to Glade Rider unit)

Option A is more character heavy while option B has more troops. Either one could be a very strong choice, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Living The Dream. 8 S6 WS7 attacks on the charge!
    Not to mention a T 4 elf!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm kind of hesitant to do the double treeman option however due to comp... however I'm not really sure that is even over the top anymore with what other armies can field these days (double hydras or double dragons for example)

so the only way to get the bear's anger though is to take the spellweaver... and sirkently had recommended the weaver is one of the stronger options available...

Any suggestions for building a list around the weaver???

(I've never used one before, and I'm guessing it changes the list make up considerably)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spellweaver can take some getting used to so you should definitely get some practice games in before you decide to use one. Problem with taking magic heavy wood elves is that you are putting yourself into the comp range of other magic heavy armies.... except they are a heck of a lot better at it than we are. Or you can just take the magic defensive weaver and go to town with your nobles.

I've only been to one tournament but played many competitive lists and my 2 caddy 4 scroll defense has done just fine for me. Even against the nastiest lists I have been able to hold out long enough to get 1-2 mages out of the picture. Its always good to remember that DD and scrolls aren't your only defense against magic.... dead mages cast no spells =)

I'd still vote for the 1st list since hopefully you have played it more and know how to use those characters to their full potential.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast