1k pts competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k pts competitive

Made a list to use against anything, i plan on using it in a tornament.

Spellsinger
    lvl 2 wiz
    hail of doom
    ranu's heartstone

noble
    hunter's talon
    arcane bodkins

Glade Guard x10
    Glade Guard x10
    Glade Guard x10
    Glade Guard x10

Glade Riders x8 w/ full command

Any suggestions? I use the hunter's talon combined with the arcane bodkins to take out any champions or heros put in squads. I like having the lvl 2 qizard to have some magic support (hopefully getting regenerate on my riders). I'm willing to do anything to this list however i have run out of glade guard lol. I have about 28 dryads, 6 more riders, and 14 way watchers (although if i end up having to play a calvary army those guys could bit me in the pa-tooty) Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm. a tournament list.
    you're looking at only 3 dispell dice?
    and no scrolls?
    that basic standard is the scroll caddy, if anything.

the range noble is a good idea, i guess, but a standard alter with HoDA seems to be the favorite with wood elf players.
    can hunt enemy wizards, or even marchblock if you please. also he's got the HoDA to cause panic or finish off already shot enemy units.

speaking of shooting, that's just too much GG.
    it looks good on paper, but they're very east targets.
    to magic missiles, other bowmen, and definitely for close combat.
    you need to have something to support them, just in case, ie. dryads or wardancers in the special slot.
    give the GG musicians, for they will be falling back a lot to avoid charges, and they need the +1 to rally....

and the full command on a unit of 8 GR is pointless.
    units of GR work better in units of 5 or 6.
    and all they really need is the musician.
    they're not gonna be charging units head on, enemy units will probably be whittled down from arrow fire, and you probably should flank attack them, or even if the situation calls for it, rear attack them.
    you'll win combat without a champion and standard, if you play it right.
    and then, eventually end up running them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i have 2 more lists here, one still doesn't have any dryads in it but it might just be enough power the other seems ok.

Spellsinger x2 (same as above)

Glade Guard x10 w/ musician

Glade Riders x5 w/musician
    Now here is the varients
    Glade Riders x5 w/musician
    Dispell scroll x1

or

Dryad x8
    Dispell Scroll x2

now with those points from the dispell scroll i could beef up that dryad squad but idk if i will be playing lizardmen or DE or daemons or what but i do have 4 dispell dice so yea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At a 1k game you want to run the "standard alter" with the HODA and the Helm of the Hunt... it's just brutally effective... a scroll caddy only needs to be level one (saves you some points)... he'd have to be your general, and just hide him in a wood....

your magic should be centered at this level around magic defense... a lone level two wizard isn't going to cast much of anything....

two units of glade guard are plenty at 1k... what you need to worry about is keeping their fire lanes open... that's hard to do with thirty archers... especially given that they are going to be needing to try and move to avoid combat....

good choice putting your glade riders into units of 5 with musician only... it's their most effective level...

my concern is that you have absolutely no hammer units.... your riders and guard can take some ranks off units, but what is going to be doing the fighting in this list????

I'd drop a unit of glade riders to add in a unit of wild riders (with warbanner if you have the points available)... dryads are also very good for the points.... and at this level, there isn't a huge amount of magic attacks to negate their saves (barring demons, but demons at 1k are certainly no where near as frightening as 2k and above)

just my two cents......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input, last night at about 2 am i thought of a list and i had to put it on paper (yea im addicted) and it might work out ok but again no dispel scrolls are in it.

Spellsinger
    lvl 2 wiz
    stupidity bound spell sprite

Spellsinger
    lvl 2 wiz
    stupidity bound spell sprite

Glade Guard x10 w/ mus
    Glade Guard x10 w/ mus

Glade Riders x5 w/ mus
    Glade Riders x5 w/ mus

Dryads x8
    Dryads x8

2 of everything lol what do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

You can't take the same magic items (including spites) twice, except for dispel scrolls and power stones. I'm also not sure how you were planning on giving your normal units dispel scrolls.

If you want a competitive list at 1k, you really really want to be running a standard alter noble (shield, light armor, helm of the hunt, hail of doom arrow, great weapon).

Also, I'd abandon the idea of going magic heavy. Even with two level two casters you will be struggling to get many spells off against someone who takes a single scroll caddy to oppose you. Save points and just take one level 1 spellsinger with 2 dispel scrolls.

I also wouldn't take more than one unit of glade riders at this point level. They are very vulnerable to shooting and are more of a support unit than anything -- they won't kill their own point's worth. One unit for march blocking is great, but two is a points liability.

Also, if you really, really want to be competitive at this level, take a treeman. I think that treemen can be kinda lackluster in 2k+ games where there is a lot out there that can kill them relatively easily, but in a 1k game there isn't much out there that can take him on. I know he is a TON of points, but I've found that he's worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 more try?

Nobel
    -light armor
    -great wep
    -HoDA
    -HotH

Spellsinger
    -Dispel scroll x2

Glade Guard x10 w/ mus
    Glade Guard x10 w/ mus
    Glade Guard x10 w/ mus
    Glade Guard x10 w/ mus

Dryad x8
    Dryad x8

Lots of shooting i know but i like it that way, in fact my favorite list so far was my 2 spellsingers and no offense but because i like to have fun i will probably run that one but this list is for my campaign/torney selection. Any last suggestions before i play tomorrow?
    Also, any strategy tips? you must remember i am brand new to this army so even the basics will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your dead set on using glade guard you have my blessing, just some pointers on using them:
    1) They are costly, and to justify getting them you need to have them inflicting wounds from turn 1, but with 4 units, and in a 1k game it will be hard, finding them all targets.
    2) Mabye set them up in a crossfire formation with terrain protecting flanks?
    3) Dryads are immune to phycology, MAKE sure you use this. Put them behind Glade Guard units, when the guard are charged flee through the dryads, with a musician they should rally easily, and they won't be caught as the chargers will (hopefully!) crash into the dryads which should hold their own fairly easily.
    Good Luck!
    thanduil
    ----------
    And one other thing, use the alter noble as a mage hunter. With an 18" charge range he should be able to reach most wizards by turn 2, definately by turn 3. If you charge a wizard in a unit your alter will probably die as he doesn't have the best armour save, but if your oppenent is using a magic heavy army (at 1k not really likely) it could be considered a just sacrifice. Otherwise just use him in conjunction with your dryads. Get him to charge in flanks and rear. REMEMBER he had 360o line of sight!

Use the HoDA to destroy/hamper any cavalry/fast cav which could otherwise outflank you and ruin your gun line (you really don't want cavalry outflanking your archers, because even though they are strength 4 at close range, against heavy cav they will be hard pushed to inflict damage before they are charged, whereupon they will be destroyed) If he is in the anti-cav role, get him flank charges so the most enimies he will ever be facing will be 1, plus he should be able to kill at least 1 per turn depending on the armour of the unit charged.
    thanduil
    Last edited by thanduil; July 23rd, 2009 at 19:41. Reason: Mistake: best alter (should be 'best armour save)
    He who controls the past, commands the future,

He who commands the future, conquers the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks i'll tell you how it all goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Also, a key deployment trick: deploy your archers BEHIND the hill or behind the forest rather than inside it (or, if in a big forest, inside the forest out of LOS rather than at the edge). You don't get a penalty for moving when you shoot, so you want to be out of LOS to start just in case your opponent gets the first turn. This way you will get the first volley off no matter what, which is a critical advantage particularly if you run into another gunline.

Also, expect people to whine and complain bitterly about your 40 glade guard. I get complaints when I run 30 in a 2250 game =P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast