Highborn, Dragon, Loren, Bodkins - Justified? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highborn, Dragon, Loren, Bodkins - Justified?

Can we justify a Dragon Lord with Bow of Loren +Arcane bodkins, or is this a real waste of points?

I Really want to use my Dragon in 2000pt matches, it makes me warm inside. But the 60 points for the Loren+Bodkins combo leaves only 40pt for defence of the lord.

I never find that the Lord can do well at attacking in hand to hand combat, he can just Defend himself enough and let the dragon do the work. Therefore I was thinking Bow of Loren+Bodkins to dispose of those annoying Heavy Armoured units befor moving in for the kill.

Roughly i use a list that is like:

Dragon Lord with Mele+Defence items.

Alter Kindred Hero, Hail of Doom

2 x 10 Glade Guard

8 x Dryad

2 x 5 Glade Rider

1 x 5/6 Wild Rider

2 x Treemen

I have never usefully optimised the Dryads and i have not lost any of my 8 games, so im feeling that dropping Drads and Taking a Scroll Caddy may work better.

I fear that I may have to stick to the Defensive Dragon Lord, (of which there are many setups which we have previously talked about). Gotta leave the bow at home

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I'm not a fan of the BoL/AB combo on a dragon highborn simply because no matter what you are doing, you're wasting half of your investment. If you are in close combat and taking advantage of the dragon, you're not shooting. And if you're shooting, you're not in combat taking advantage of the dragon. Combine that with the increased vulnerability of the highborn and I think it's a bad choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, So given that i am now to focus on close combat these are my two current choices.

Annoyance of Netlings, Armour of the Fey, Amaranthine Broach. (Spear, LA, shield).
    [character hunter spec, no saves vs magic spells].

or

Oaken Armour, Stone of Crystal Mere, Sword of Might (LA, shield).
    [Dragon defence spec, Ward save will break under heavy arrow fire, so it is still purely for combat, better vs rank and file units as you keep your +1str into round 2]

- I have gone off my old Dawnspear + Fimble winter spec, since A) i use two treemen and i dont want them prone to stupidity, and I often fail to wound vs enemy Dragon Riders and tough units, means the dawnspear isnt that great.

Any thoughts on item selection here given my army layout?

1 thing to note - Every time my best and most efective unit in this army is my Glade Riders, they tie up units and lure them away / march block / kill other fast cav.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I'd probably only go with the first setup if you aren't expecting to face magic or you carry two scroll caddies in your extra hero slots (hard to give up the standard alter, I know!)

The second build is really good too, so you might just go with that, although I'd take the glamourweave item instead of the SotCM if you are expecting lots of non-cannon shooting and or substantial magic.

Either way, I think you're right to take at least one caddy. There are certain spells that just devastate wood elves -- stuff like Rot Glorious Rot is an absolute nightmare, and you reaaaaally don't want some Tzeentch lord gatewaying your dragon on turn 1.

EDIT: also note that you don't need to buy light armor for either build as you already have the Oaken Armor/Armor of the Fey
    Last edited by swarmofseals; July 23rd, 2009 at 02:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New thought: Oaken Armour, Amaranthine Broach, Rageths Wild Fire Blades+shield(Ignores enemy regeneration and gives 1 extra attack) / Biting Blade + shield.
    [shield usable against missile wepons in both cases, but only usable in combat with the Biting Blade option].

This would make an excellent unit breaker, monster killer, and try and ignore their Lord if you know it has a magic wepon. Most stuff will ignore our armour anyway with Str 5+

this would give us a 5+armour, 3+Ward, 4+regen. Arrows wont touch this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

That's a good build for breaking normal units, although you still need to be careful charging into enemies with high strength that can actually wound the dragon.

I'd probably go with the biting blade since mounted characters do not receive +1A from wielding an additional hand weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or swap biting blade for a normal spear?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

How about oaken armour, amoranthine brooch, and enchanted shield. Gives a fairly good save to all the possible ones. Of course, you want a spear here as well.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you take Oaken Armour + Enchanted shield Sir Kently? dont they both class as Armour

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Oops, gotta double check my posts. Not my first mistake and won't be my last. I always use the dawnspear setup myself.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.