2000 pts magic and shooting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

2000 pts magic and shooting

So, not having any money, and having a thing for the forest spirits, I've thus far only done Close Combat Wood Elves. Which is REALLY limiting in terms of what the list can do.

So, I've gone out and bought my first Waywatchers! Shocking, I know. O.o But I really am dirt poor, and this hobby is expensive.

Anyway, I wanted to get a mobile list that could easily surround my enemy, like my Teleporting treekin list. This is what I came up with.

Hero:
    Spell Singer - Lvl 2, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways
    Spell Singer - Lvl 2, Deep Wood Sphere, Befuddlement of Mishiefs
    Noble - Alter kin, HoDA, HoTH, LA, SH, GW

Core:
    Glade Guard x10
    Glade Guard x10
    Dryads x8
    Dryads x8

Special:
    War Dancers x7
    War Dancers x7
    Warhawks x3
    Wild Riders x6 - Musician

Rare:
    Way Watchers x5
    Way Watchers x5

The theory is to teleport The Glade Guard into a woods to have shooting on two sides. Or alternatively, use the moonstone to escape when the enemy gets close. This way they can't run down both "gunlines" at once, and I have a good shot of getting in range quickly, or escaping from the big nasties.

I've never run a list like this before. So I'm not quite sure what to expect. It works very similarly to my other "Hide and Seek" lists, in that I have no intention of coming out of my woods. Even more so with this list, now that I can shoot.

It is a little light on magic defense.

I plan to be competitive with this, once I"m back in LA and actually have people to play with. And there are people here much wiser than me. What do you guys think?

Oh, and should I maybe bump up the Waywatchers to units of ten when I hit 2250? I'm a bit nervous about doing that, because they'd give away alot of points if they wipe. The other thing I was thinking (since special slots are full) was simply taking a unit of scouts to get some more shooting; but spread out my units.

Also, Wood Elves are supposed to me mobile, the fact that Glade Guard aren't drives me nuts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a lot of effort to teleport a support unit around that probably isn't game changing. The only unit I've seen people teleport is Wardancers. They have potential to get off a really game changing flank/rear charge. I wonder if anyone's tried moonstone with a large Waywatchers unit. That could be interesting....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I suppose. I'm taking the Lvl 2 either way. If she's not taking that it's the horn of the Asrai to get them to enter the woods.

I used to use it to teleport treekin; but had to give up lots of shooting aspects to take that. It was a fun list, but I kept running into formations I couldn't break. So in those battles I had a lot of points wasted. Effectively, Wood Elves need shooting to be flexible enough to compete with the power lists I've learned.

35 points to have another archer deployed right where I wanted it seems like a good idea. For example, if I fight HE or someone, getting those S4 shots on their gunlines seems like a good idea, and I have a reasonable chance of being able to do it from out of their sight arcs, which means they'd have to turn around to shoot me back. Tho, you may be right. It is an unconventional use of the item.

Like I said, I hate how immobile Glade Guard are. I almost took the second unit as scout, but 17pts for their panzy little bows seemed like a waste. And I'd have to give up shock troops to do it. This seemed like a compromise.

I could swap the Singer for a Waywatching noble to go in a large unit, which would be interesting; but given that's all he'd have, I still question the wisdom of that. Moonstoning waywatchers seemed redundant, as they can basically begin out in the position I need anyways. Unless, of course, I just took one large unit of them and used the moonstone to escape. And as an advantage, the entire formation could shoot using the same LoS; as compare to needing to draw two lanes.

My rational of two units of five WW is to make it so not all of them can be run down at once. Tho, i keep wishing I had the points for 20. Not sure what I'd give up to take that...

EDIT:
    Hmm....

I suppose I could put the Calaingor's on the my first singer and then take a Moon Stone on a Noble or High Born. Could add some punch to my War Dancers. Or alternatively I could take a Wild Riding Noble or HB.

I'm reluctant to go against power lists these days without treesinging, as I've found it's the best solution to the elite infantry blocks that I can't budge. (such as Nurgle Plague tally blocks, or Regenerating Grave Guard). And I doubt that four power levels would be enough.
    Last edited by Gnomish.Id; August 26th, 2009 at 22:53. Reason: more htoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I've heard works for Moonstone is sort of a Wardancer deathstar. If going the full out route, go for a Highborne with Blades of Loec, Moonstone, and Annoyance along with a BSB with Asyendi's and HoDA most likely in a unit of like 9-10 Wardancers. The idea is to teleport this massive unit into enemy lines and unleash a massive amount of casualties with both HoDA and dances. A smaller version of this could be with a Noble + BSB that would let you keep your Spellweaver.

A Wild Rider Noble with Moonstone would be fascinating as well with a lot of speed to get to places and be on his own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Yeah, it really would!

That full out combo sounds nasty, but with the number of unbreakable things, and lack of combat res, I'm hesitant to make a 567+ point block in a wood elven list. Eggs in baskets issues me thinks.

Besides, a joint charge from an alter kin and wardancers is just as devastating, and far safer/easier to set up.

TP WR would be intersting...
    Moonstone, Armour of the Fey, Netlings.
    Alternatively: Moonstone, DawnSpear, Stone of Crystal Mere

A half hour ago I was inclined to take your advice on the TP wardancers, that is what I used to do.
    But...
    1. On the charge they'd get 21s4 attacks that hit on 3's which is NASTY. But it takes two turns to do. One to TP, one to charge. And they have to commit, so there is a chance of losing combat.
    2. Glade guard get 10s4 attacks that hit on 3's. Half as nasty, but it takes them one turn. In the two turns it takes to charge with the Wardancers (which the enemy can actually escape from), the Glade Guard can shoot 2x, making 20s4 attacks that hit on 3's. Which is barely less efficient, with no chance of losing combat.

Also, they can threaten multiple things from that position, and be kept safe by my treesinging.

I'm not saying you're not giving good advice! I'm thinking about the Wild Riders now fairly seriously. But I'm hesitant to give up my two dispel dice and four power dice. Right now I have a treesinging engine in my Lord choice.

I am considering... should I drop either the Wild Riders or War Dancers and take 10 more Waywatchers maybe? Keep what I have? Or take a Wild Rider Noble?

I'm leaning against the Wild Rider Noble, given that it totally changes the list and axes my defense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

A couple things I would point out here. Magic heavy wood elves aren't the scariest thing around but they can be fun. You have a fairly balanced list that could handle most things.

I would think you could drop the level upgrade on the lord. A level three should be able to accomplish what you want to do. And I don't think he needs the glamourweave. You should have him in a unit that will offer him the protection he needs. He also has the option of other lores, so I would give up the staff to one of the singers, and get him something else. Maybe switch it with the deepwood sphere.

I would try to get the wild riders the warbanner if at all possible. I would also combine the waywatchers into one unit of 7-10, and hopefully pick up an eagle.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Hmmm, I was actually hoping to increase the size of my waywatchers...

Maybe if I turn the Weaver into a singer, I can use the saved points to increase those unit sizes and pick up command on the Wild Riders. After that I can swap a wardancer for another unit of warhawks maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're magic list looks good except for no magic defense. You'll definitely get the most Treesinging's off you could without using Treeman bound ones. As long as the board has two preferably 3 forests you'll be golden. I'd assume you'd have a nice agreement with a friend to try it out.

Although the number of attacks from shooting maybe the same over two turns, it's definitely not the same as one turn of attacks. Plus, shooting only generates a panic check generally at a decent leadership. Only melee gives you that potential to generate a -5 combat resolution that can break and run down the enemy.

If you're building a fun list based on teleporting, I'd just try to teleport the most wicked thing I could. Wild Riders or Wardancers from a flank/rear position should pretty much scare everything that isn't unbreakable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Well, there only needs to be one to start with, re the trees.

Most armies in my bunker are demons, or vampires. :/ so, pretty much everone's got unbreakable blocks. The ones that don't are stubborn. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of something like this Gnomish?

Lvl 4 Spellweaver - Calingor's + 3 Scrolls - 350
    Lvl 2 Spellsinger - Moonstone of the Hidden Ways - 160
    Standard Alter - 158

10 Glade Guard - 120
    10 Glade Guard - 120
    10 Glade Guard - 120
    8 Dryads - 96
    8 Dryads -96

7 Wardancers -126
    6 Wild Riders + Standard + Warbanner - 199
    3 Warhawk Riders - 120

Treeman - 285
    Eagle - 50
    Total: 2000

8 PD/5 DD 3 Scrolls + 1 Bound Treesinging

You'll have good magic defense and should still be able to get off quite a few Treesingings. Drop a scroll for another bound spell if you're confident in the magic defense. With 3 Glade Guard units to teleport or Wardancers you can do a lot damage from afar and up close. Since you're moving forests around, it's not bad to have a Treeman in them and present a target for the enemy to go after. Plenty of fliers to disrupt the enemy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast