Librarium Online Forums banner

2k, Possible Restart to WE

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sirkently 
#1 ·
I have a WoodElf army that has been collecting dust for years, and was hardly played with. Originally it was one of the Skirmish/Fast-Cav only armies, and I like it a lot. Now I'm wondering if there would be a way to rebuild a WoodElf force that will function well in the new rules, with a more typical playstyle. Here we go:
Noble (general) w/ light armor, additional handweapon, scout kindred, briar sheath, HoDA

6 Waywatchers w/ Champion
The plan for this combo is to start them off in the free wood from the Ambush rule. Does the Briarsheath affect the Noble's unit as well, because if so, it's a total of -5 to hit the unit in the trees, forcing the enemy to attack them or suffer. The champion is there to take challenges away from the Noble.
Noble BSB w/ light armor, elven steed, royal banner

18 Eternal Guard w/ FC, Banner of Faoghir
The idea here is just a basic anvil. With 20 Stubborn Fear-Causers, who slow you down when you flee from them, we should have ourselves a tough regiment for the army's center.
Lvl1 Branchwraith

8 Dryads w/ Champion

Lvl1 Branchwraith

8 Dryads w/ Champion
Each unit of Dryads gets a Branchwraith. WE aren't good at magic, but I still want magic defense. However, I didn't want to lose my combat ability as well. This just condenses the list somewhat.
10 Wardancers

10 Wardancers

5 Wild Riders w/ FC

5 Wild Riders w/ FC
These last 4 regiments work on the flanks of the army, hunt warmachines or skirmish with the enemy.
So, does this seem like a competitive army? I'm going for a competition-level list, not a friendly one. Feel free to shoot holes my list, I just want to have a general idea of where to start buying new models.

#2 ·
Noble (general) w/ light armor, additional handweapon, scout kindred, briar sheath, HoDA

6 Waywatchers w/ Champion
The plan for this combo is to start them off in the free wood from the Ambush rule. Does the Briarsheath affect the Noble's unit as well, because if so, it's a total of -5 to hit the unit in the trees, forcing the enemy to attack them or suffer. The champion is there to take challenges away from the Noble.

The briarsheath only affects the model that is wearing it, so it is only really useful for lone targets. Also, the scout kindred isn't very useful. I would recommend switching him to an alter noble with a great weapon. HoDA and Briarsheath (or helm of the hunt) are good items to give an alter noble. Also a champion in the waywatchers isn't worth the points for 1 higher ballistic skill, but a 6 strong waywatcher unit is a nice healthy size.

Noble BSB w/ light armor, elven steed, royal banner

18 Eternal Guard w/ FC, Banner of Faoghir
The idea here is just a basic anvil. With 20 Stubborn Fear-Causers, who slow you down when you flee from them, we should have ourselves a tough regiment for the army's center.

I haven't had much experience running an eternal guard unit, but this looks like a good solid unit. Not sure that the steed the best way to go but it works.

Lvl1 Branchwraith

8 Dryads w/ Champion

Lvl1 Branchwraith

8 Dryads w/ Champion
Each unit of Dryads gets a Branchwraith. WE aren't good at magic, but I still want magic defense. However, I didn't want to lose my combat ability as well. This just condenses the list somewhat.

Since only one Branchwraith can take the cluster of radients for the extra dispel dice, I would recommend switching one Branchwraith out for a lvl 1 spellsinger scroll caddy for optimal defense.

10 Wardancers

10 Wardancers

5 Wild Riders w/ FC

5 Wild Riders w/ FC
These last 4 regiments work on the flanks of the army, hunt warmachines or skirmish with the enemy.

The Wardancers might be a little large, I usually run them in sizes of 7-8. For the wild riders I usually run them with 6 riders. You might also want to consider giving one of the wildrider units the warbanner for an extra +1 combat res.
looks like a solid list, just a few suggestions

#3 ·
i pretty much agree with everything that was previously said.
I never really liked eternal guard as they dont really fit the WE play style. Im not saying they are bad. Its just a sometimes they dont mesh well. Glade Guard are a great choice if you want to switch them out.

as was already said Wild riders are best in units of 6 (to maximize attacks), but i would drop the FC on them. Give them the free music, but only give ONE unit a banner(and make it the war banner) The champions can actually hurt you if the enemy has hero and grinds your WR into dust. Also only giving one unit a banner limits the amount of points you give to your opponent.

the list isnt too bad. If you decide to not use the Eternal Guard switch out that BSB( or throw his butt on an eagle So you can get that reroll anywhere!).

There are some awesome Alter Kindred builds you can roll with. The standard being Hail of Doom, Helm of the Hunt, Shield, Light Armor, and Great Weapon. Also Armanthine brooch + brair sheath is fun. (As is amber pendant)

just some thoughts for you to ponder over! hope i helped out

#4 ·
As a general rule, I usually like to have two stubborn units before including a BSB. I would try to get a treeman in here. As your list is combat oriented, I don't mind the eternal guard, though they aren't the best of our unit options.

The only reason to take a branchwraith is to get the cluster of radients. The other should be swapped for a scroll caddy. As others have said, cut the wardancer numbers, and increase the wild riders.

Good luck,
SirKently

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.