1250pt Tournament List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1250pt Tournament List

Hi, just wanting some feedback on a 1250pt list for a small tournament

Wood Elf Noble 157pts
    Wild rider kindred
    Dawn Spear
    Elven Steed

Spellsinger lvl 2 167pts
    Hail of Doom arrow
    Elven Steed

Branchwraith lvl 1 wizard 165pts
    Cluster of Radiants
    Pageant of Shrikes

10 Glade Guard 120pts

9 Dryads w/ Branchnymph 120pts (Branchwraith to join this unit)

5 Scouts 85pts

5 Wild Riders w/ Musician, Standard & Wild Hunter 166pts

20 Eternal Guard w/ Musician, Standard & Guardian 270pts

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I like the wild rider noble. If you are going the magic route you seem to be though, I would switch out the pageant of shrikes for the befuddlement of mischiefs. And the eternal guard are way to pricey when you don't have a noble to stick in them to be stubborn.

I would drop them and the scouts for some wardancers, an eagle, and some more archers.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like most of the list.I find the spellsinger setup interesting though,tell me how it plays. I agree with sirkently,drop the eternal guard block,if you want something that can take a charge,take 3 tree kin,i always take them,they are so awesome.Usually,when I use my tree kin i make one a champion and put my branchwraith in there,so i have a unit that is a real threat to my enemy and i have a champion for my branchwraith that can contend with a lot of enemy heroes and come out on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input

The reason I took the Pageant of Shrikes was to try and pick off some annoying characters like wizards and war machine engineers etc
    Is it likely that Stupidity would have a major impact?

I have recently played a few 1500pt games and so far the Eternal guard block have done a great job in most games (I think thanks to their high number of attacks and good WS) which is why I was sticking with them.

In the same 1500pt games I have also used 3x Tree Kin with less success, I find that becuase of a lack of ranks and outnumbering they will lose almost every combat they enter unless supported by another unit (not always possible)
    where as the etrnal guard have +3 for rank, +1 for standard and can hold out for 1-2 turns to get someone to help out

The scouts were there becuase I only had minimal points left, if I do drop the Eternal guard then the scouts will go too. I'm yet to try wardancers out as I have only recently got back into playing.

The spellsinger I have used in a few games with a similar setup, I use the steed as it allows the wizard to move around quickly and annoy enemys by march blocking, it works depending on the person I'm playing (some target wizards more than others)
    The hail of doom arrow worked last time around with OK results.
    ----------
    This is a second list I'm thinking of trying out (I will actually be playing two games tomorrow and will use each list to see how they go)

Wood Elf Noble 143pts
    Light Armour, Shield, Spear
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Helm of the Hunt
    Elven Steed

Spellsinger lvl 1 140pts
    2x Dispel Scroll

5 Glade Riders w/ Standard 138pts (Noble will be in this unit or roam seperately)

6 Wild Riders w/ Standard, Musician, Wild Hunter 192pts

10 Glade Guard 120pts

9 Wardancers w/ Bladesinger 176pts

3 Tree Kin 195pts

9 Dryads w/ Branch Nymph 120pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mike View Post
    Usually,when I use my tree kin i make one a champion and put my branchwraith in there
    Is this legal? I thought skirmisher characters couldn't join rank and file units, but I could be wrong.
    ----------
    Good base for a list, minor changes in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesdrum View Post
    Wood Elf Noble 143pts
    Light Armour, Shield, Spear
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Helm of the Hunt
    Elven Steed
    Switch this guy to a standard alter with great weapon, they are much better. Mounted Nobles just don't work too well unless they are wild riders or on a great eagle. An alter noble will give you the same speed and maneuverability as the steed, but he will give more punch with S6 attacks instead of only S5 on the charge with the mounted noble.

Spellsinger lvl 1 140pts
    2x Dispel Scroll
    Scroll caddys are very useful

5 Glade Riders w/ Standard 138pts (Noble will be in this unit or roam seperately)
    Standards on glade riders are never worth the points, they are almost always free victory points to your opponent. Musicians however are very good with the fast cavalry feigned flight rule. You should drop the standard and take a musician instead.

6 Wild Riders w/ Standard, Musician, Wild Hunter 192pts
    Wild riders in 6 member units are great and I almost always run with one. Only change I would make is drop the champion, and take them the warbanner for extra combat res. +1 attack on the champ might give you an extra wound to resolution, but the warbanner gives you a guaranteed +1 every round.

10 Glade Guard 120pts
    Good solid core choice

9 Wardancers w/ Bladesinger 176pts
    Slightly large for my taste, I usually like 7-8 size units but this can work nicely. Champs here can be good too.

3 Tree Kin 195pts
    I haven't used treekin too much but from what I hear they can be nice additions. I know some people like to make them unit size 4 but I'm not sure whether it's better than 3 or not.

9 Dryads w/ Branch Nymph 120pts
    Another nice core choice. I would probably cut out the champ and drop them down to the minimum size of 8, giving you points to spend elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks tbeckett, any opinions on the other list that I submitted at the top of the thread.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

my imput on list one
    Quote Originally Posted by wesdrum View Post
    Hi, just wanting some feedback on a 1250pt list for a small tournament

Wood Elf Noble 157pts
    Wild rider kindred
    Dawn Spear
    Elven Steed
    A nice addition to the wild rider unit, I've used this noble several times

Spellsinger lvl 2 167pts
    Hail of Doom arrow
    Elven Steed
    HoDA is always nice, not quite as effective on a spellsinger because of lower ballistic skill, but useful none the less. You might consider Calaingor's Stave for more treesinging, if you are a big fan of treesinging.

Cluster of Radiants
    Pageant of Shrikes
    Wraiths are great for two dispel and being decent in combat. I haven't used the pageant of shrikes myself, I would agree with sir kently and take the befuddlement of mischiefs for the extra bound spell

10 Glade Guard 120pts
    Good core choice

9 Dryads w/ Branchnymph 120pts (Branchwraith to join this unit)
    Great unit for a Branchwraith to join, champ is important for challenges, probably don't need 9, could go with the minimum size of 8.

5 Scouts 85pts
    I have never been a fan of scouts. They are very costly for what you get. I would swap these out for a great eagle or a unit of about 6 waywatchers if you can find the points.

Good unit. Champ is useful here to protect your noble. If you can find the points I would give them the warbanner for the +1 combat res.

20 Eternal Guard w/ Musician, Standard & Guardian 270pts
    I'm not a big fan of the eternal guard in smaller games where they don't have a noble to go with them and they don't have a battle standard bearer near them. If you cut out this unit you have a bunch of options. You can probably take two more units of either wardancers (unit size of 7- waywatchers (upwards of 6) or warhawk riders (3-4). Another option is you almost have enough to get a treeman if you want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results from the two games that I played with both lists

The first list - A draw against Empire (missed out on a MV by 40pts)
    The second list - A massacre at the hands of Orcs

I think I will drop the Eternal Guard from the first list and put the Tree Kin and Wardancers instead (though both performed quite badly against the Orcs)

I will also change the sprite on the Branchwraith, question can this bound spell be cast on different units?
    e.g If cast onto one unit in one turn, following turn I cast onto a second unit does the initial unit still suffer stupidity? or is the spell removed

Will put the final list up before the tournament this sunday and post the results of the games

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

The bound spell one says it affects the target unit with stupidity on its next turn, so it only lasts for that one turn. your next turn you can choose to cast it on the same unit to reapply it, or a different unit, but only a maximum of one unit will be affected by it at any given time.

The greenskins can be very pesky to fight against, especially their spider riders and night goblins. Those guys are full of tricks that are no fun for wood elves.

Was the empire player playing more of a static gunline approach? I find those armies rarely get anything better than draws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks for that.

The empire list wasnt that shooty (two small units 5-7 of gunners and a cannon) my friend just got very unlucky with alot of leadership rolls.

I played a game last weekend with my final list, the game was against Lizardmen and I came away with another draw.

The list for the tournament this saturday is as follows

Wood Elf Noble 157pts
    Wild rider kindred
    Dawn Spear
    Elven Steed

Spellsinger lvl 2 167pts
    Hail of Doom arrow
    Elven Steed

Cluster of Radiants
    Befuddlement of Mischiefs