Updated offensive magic list (1000pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated offensive magic list (1000pts)

So I posted a variant of this list awhile back, and now I have it finalized and have played with it a few times. So far I have gotten 1 minor victory, 1 solid victory, and my opponents: 1 minor victory, 2 solid victories against it.

I realize wood elf magic isn't that effective, and any list relying heavily on magic will be more susceptible to huge losses/defeats off of luck, so to make things clear, I'd like to stick with a magic heavy list, but was wondering if there was anything I could do to optimize the list in any area:

Heroes:

Spellsinger - 175
    -lvl 2
    -hail of doom arrow
    -Ranu's heartstone

Spellsinger - 175
    -lvl 2
    -Beffuddlement of mischiefs
    -Calaignor's stave

Core:

11 Glade guard w/musician -138
    8 Dryads - 96

Special:

6 Wild riders - 156
    6 Wardancers w/musician - 115

Rare:

6 Waywatchers - 144

total: 999

For a 2000 points list I plan on getting a spellweaver and treeman (more tree singing woo)...and maybe a Branchwraith, but that's really pushing the points on characters.

For anyone curious my usual opponent is my brother's Empire list:

Captain - barded warhorse/lance/full plate armour/sword that always hits on 2+
    Wizard - lvl 1 scroll caddy, lore of fire

20 swordsmen -10 halbard detachment/ 5 hand gunner detachment
    20 spearmen
    5 outriders
    5 knights
    1 mortar
    1 cannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I'll start off by trying to convince you to not go magic heavy with wood elves, it doesn't work out so well. Please. Pretty Please. Ok I tried, as long as you are having fun I guess. Onto the important stuff.

Unfortunatly I cannot see anywhere to beef up your magic abilitys anymore, other than maybe switching out the heartstone for the deepwood sphere. I can reccomend some minor tweaks to your other units.

I would reccomend dropping the musician in your glade guard and reducing them to 10 unit strength. With the points you save you will be able to add one more wardacer bringing them up to 7 strong.

I would suggest trying to find the points to add a standard bearer and the war banner to the wild riders, they really need the extra +2 to combat res for them to do their job effectivly. This might mean getting rid of the waywatchers and replacing them with something less expensive pointwise.

Looking at the empire list you face, a scroll caddy will be able to shut down alot of your magic. You might want to look at taking a unit of warhawk riders to quickly swoop in, allocate all their attacks on the caddy and fly away. They are also handy at taking out war machine crews which are in this list aswell.

When you go for 2000 points with the spellweaver, I would reccomend lore of beasts. I havn't tried a super magic heavy list before, but I have used spell weavers with the lore of beasts and its seems to be one of the more offensive of the lores we can choose from.

edit: also just looking at the empire list, the captain has the lance listed, but if he has a magic weapon, he must always use it, thus making the lance unuseable. I'm not sure if your opponent has been using the lance aswell, but it is worth mentioning, in either case, it saves the player a few points to spend on other things.
    Last edited by tbeckett; October 29th, 2009 at 12:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, you're post is very convincing heh. Perhaps if I drop one spellsinger for a Branchwraith with AoN and aCoR, I'll still have plenty of magic defense and a more fighty character. I'll also be able to fit in the banner for the wild riders and another wardancer..and perhaps something else. Should I also try for a standard alter, or would those two characters be enough at 1k?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

It is true that wood elf magic isn't the greatest asset in the game. But it can still be fun. Your original list looks to be a fine effort at magic. One thing I would change is dropping the archers down to ten without the musician and getting another wardancer.

Other than that it seems like a well rounded list. Got some magic, some shooting, and some combat. It should be a fun list in friendly games.

At 2k points, the spellweaver is only really good for magic defense with the wand of wych elm. A level three with the treeman may let you get off a few tree singings in the game. But it isn't considered a really powerful build, but can help you win if your opponent goes heavy into magic.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, I was wondering what I could to make this list more competitive, with loosing some magic. I'll drop the 11th GG/musician and get the extra wardancer either way. And then if I drop one of the spell singers, the one with HoDa I could get a branchwraith with AoN and the spite that gives another dispel dice. That coupled with my other spellsinger would be good magic defense and maybe enough to get a tree singing off every other turn at the least...

I'll also have enough points left over to get the warbanner for the wildriders. But this list doesn't seem significantly different from my current list. Just less magic and a more fighty character..some I'm wondering if it would make that much of a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

About the wild riders, i find that the first round of combat is huge for them. The second round of combat with the extra attack can be nice, but I find the S5 charge is very nice on the charge and the +2 combat res to complement the kills associated with it is often enough to break the units it charges (Assuming you charge the slightly weaker units that you know you can punch through). I think you can use a unit like this to have a strong combat ability, while still having your two strong magic users. From my experience, wild riders don't need a character to make them dominate in combat, if you make them 6strong and give them the war banner, they will either get shot down the first turn via magic or shoorting, or decimate several of the enemies weaker units.

I think your characters are tooled out to be close to maximum strenght possible to wood elves at this point level, now you can just consintrate on making your units the best they can be.

This is all assuming you want to stick with magic heavy. If you want to switch to a balenced(list, you can consider taking a standard alter noble (helm of the hunt+hail of doom arrow) to give yourself the extra punch in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I think your list looks good! If you want to switch it up, I'd consider dropping your HoDA and Hearthstone for the Deep Wood Sphere and a scroll.

The reason being, if you're going to do move the forest, you'll need to get every spell to count; as such, having the deep wood sphere and calaingor's in the same army, I've found, is a really effective combo. Especially if you're a fan of hiding waywatchers or a TM in the wood. (Actually, the deep wood sphere is hands down my favorite arcane item. I always want my free wood to be dangerous, and I've found I can't always take the spell levels I need to make it that way)

Another option, though it certainly throws less magic, is to take...

Lvl 1 Singer:
    Deep Wood Sphere
    Mischiefs

B-Wraith:
    Lvl 1
    Netlings
    Radients

This gets you magic defense, makes your woods frightening, and gives you a combat character. But, it does cut the dice you throw in half. So it's not exactly magic strong. If you added a TM to the mix, that would give you the same of number of spells as you had before. Sadly, I don't know what you can drop to make that happen. BUt, no worries, to my experience hiding way watchers in the woods is every bit as frustrating for the opponent as hiding a treeman, albiet, in different ways.

Another alternative (since your taking casting) is to drop your HoDA Singer altogether and take a WarDancer Noble with the Moon Stone. If you end up with two woods (one plus your free one) you can use the teleportation to exploit the situation. Though, I will admit, outside the Drycha List, which is built around this, I've found that the ability is a bit gimicky and much prefer the blades of loec to the moonstone. (tho, now that i'm thinking, teleporting glade guard may work well at 1k)

+ Reply to Thread