2250 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

So wanting to try a higher model count army and one with out Orion. This is what I am thinking, it should be good all around but let me know if you think something is really missing.

Lord: Spellweaver: 300
    - wand of wychelm, crystal (3+ ward that goes away if failed)
    Hero: Branchwraith: 165 points
    - annoyance, cluster, level 1

Core: 9 dryads: 108 points
    Core * 5: 8 dryads: 96 (480) points

Special * 4: 6 Wild Riders: 156 (624) points
    - musician

Rare * 2: Treeman: 285 (570) points

Total: 2247 points, 6 PD + 2 bound spells, 6 DD (rerolls), has 77 models compared to 43 of my normal Orion List.

Played this versus O+G (with no G) and VC. Tabled the orks, and minor victory versus the VC.

- You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyzaru View Post
    So wanting to try a higher model count army and one with out Orion. This is what I am thinking, it should be good all around but let me know if you think something is really missing.

Lord: Spellweaver: 300
    - wand of wychelm, crystal (3+ ward that goes away if failed)
    I prefer the glamour weave item for this guy. Although, I certainly think that both items are useful. It's just, I want to keep the ward if it gets failed.

Hero: Branchwraith: 165 points
    - annoyance, cluster, level 1
    I approve of this character. One of my fav's actually.

Core: 9 dryads: 108 points
    No point in taking 9. Take 8 and a champion. Even though you have the netlings, if you end having to challenge chump a lord, you can keep it in the challenge for about three rounds between the branch wraith and the nymph.

Core * 5: 8 dryads: 96 (480) points
    I approve.

Special * 4: 6 Wild Riders: 156 (624) points
    - musician

Rare * 2: Treeman: 285 (570) points

Total: 2247 points, 6 PD + 2 bound spells, 6 DD (rerolls), has 77 models compared to 43 of my normal Orion List.

Played this versus O+G (with no G) and VC. Tabled the orks, and minor victory versus the VC.
    I like what you're doing with your list! Lots of Dryads can be very hard to deal with. you can pin a unit with a treeman and then hit it with wave after wave. It's fun! You play like an ItP version of Beastmens. And spirits were the reason I played wood elves elves.

However, IMHO, if you're going to be running all spirits anyways, Drycha Brings much dispel power to the table, an incredible combat profile, and deep-striking/teleportation, which opens up some tactics previously un-available to Wood Elves. However, combat lists (especially with double treemen), they beg to have a BSB. I find that if you're not taking Drycha in a spirit list, you ought to take a BSB for some staying power in combat.

Also, you can give your bsb the royal standard of Ariel and get some serious magic resistance. Although, you'd have to hide him in a forest or unit. If you take that with your wand of wych elm caddy, you'll find magic missiles really stop hurting your spirits. though, I understand you may not have the points for this.

I'm just thinking about your magic phase...

Unless you're planning on taking the lore of beasts or life, you're going to have at least two powerdice no one can use effectively in each of your magic phases. And if you do take the lore of beasts, your woods are not moving. It's just a preference issue you should be tactically aware of.

If you chose to run a Drycha list (not that I'm saying you should! The weaver general certainly is a good option!) you could take a calaingor caddy and throw 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, b3, b3, b3, b3 instances of tree singing. In my list I take a deep wood caddy on top of that. But, you should be able to field a comprable army composition if you forgoe the deep wood caddy. Though, I'd recommend putting the Drycha in a unit of treekin to get some teleporting high strength/toughness. That's only if you chose to take that route of course.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I also prefer the glamourweave item. I also like the BSB idea with ariels banner. But it looks like a really nice list as is. Drycha would take it in a diferent direction, but she has some really good tactics.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

So far I have not needed a BSB although I might drop the unit of 9 dryads to take one on a horse. Though I don't think Ariel is worth it as it would require an entire unit of dryads and then some to get the points. I also don't like it very much since I can't put him in any unit which unlike the caster I feel hurts him more.

This goes to one of the things I believe we need in a new book and that is just an upgrade that makes an elf a forest spirit. Can call it like wildborne and make it like 15-20 points. That way you can have a BSB that is a forest spirit or a caster that could join dryad units for safety.

For the save I go with the cyrstal over glamourweave simply because I tend to stay out of LOS so she only gets hit by stuff that targets everything or doesn't need LOS which negates what glamourweave gives you a save against.
    Last edited by Lyzaru; December 8th, 2009 at 17:35.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Fair enough.

What I did was turn one of my units of Dryads into a unit of War Dancers. (actually, that was a while ago when I ran that list, and I used Eternal Guard at first. The current version uses War Dancers.)

Just to hide him in. I kept them screened behind trees and Dryads.

Really, a 20pt "become a spirit" character upgrade and placing him in a unit of Dryads comes to about the same thing as placing him in a unit of War Dancers to begin with. You're talking 8 Dryads and Champion for 108 points, then 20 points for the item, making it 128 points, as compared to 140 points for 7 wardancers and a champion. It's a 12 point difference, and the War Dancers are stronger on the charge.

Though, I agree if only because I REALLY want a BSB in my Drycha list.
    Last edited by Gnomish.Id; December 8th, 2009 at 20:24.

+ Reply to Thread