1000pts of balanced elfy fun - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts of balanced elfy fun

Hello,

I bought the wood elf battalion a few years ago (very whimsically) and made and painted a lovely 500pt army (one of each core, an eagle and a noble). But then a load of things (chiefly uni and 2500pts of goblins) got in the way and so I'm only now getting round to expanding them.

I've got a mini tournament (among friends) coming up over Christmas, and (having never used the elves at 1000pts) could do with some input as to how my army is looking and what I could/should do to sort it out. The aim of the tournament is for fairly balanced lists, which I think/hope mine is. But in theory this means I shouldn't be running across any steam tanks etc.

Here's the list:

Noble - Hail of doom arrow, light armour, shield
    Noble - Alter kindred, helm of the hunt, light armour, shield, great weapon
    10 glade guard - musician
    5 glade riders - musician
    8 dryads
    5 scouts (waywatcher models)
    8 wardancers - musician
    Great eagle
    ------------------------
    1000pts (on the dot)

Other models I have are: a spellsinger, a treeman (who doesn't?), 11 more wardancers (ebay resulted in some impulse purchases).

Any help on what to change/take out/put in is very much appreciated. Particularly thoughts on heroes. I've been told (and indeed agree) that I only need one hero at 1000pts, however I don't own a mounted noble (it's next on my "to buy/convert list"), and I think the alter adds some much needed mobile hard hitting power. However is he strictly necessary?

any input on any part of the list is very much appreciated, and feel free to tell me it's rubbish (and what I should do to make it more functional). 2 years of playing pure goblin lists has left me a little rusty on the use of small elite armies.

Cheers

sssk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome back to the forest!
    lets see what we can do here.

Quote Originally Posted by sssk View Post

Noble - Hail of doom arrow, light armour, shield
    So this guy is chilling where exactly? is he hanging out with the War Dancers? If so be sure to purchase a Champion in that unit.

Noble - Alter kindred, helm of the hunt, light armour, shield, great weapon
    I would place HoDA on him. instead of the other noble. Maybe giving the other noble Armanthine brooch and Sword of might which isn't a bad build You could also swap him for an ever needed scroll caddy or a lvl1 branchwraith with cluster of radiants.

5 glade riders - musician
    8 dryads
    5 scouts (waywatcher models)
    scouts are kinda...eh very expensive for what they do :/
    8 wardancers - musician
    Great eagle
    by dropping the scouts you can fully deck your other noble out or grab a caddy. You can also give your wardancers a champion.

Remeber only fight on your terms! You dont out number anyone anymore so you need to combine charges.

---
    on another note. i think 2 heroes at 1000pnts is perfect. I find that one character per 500pnts usually works out pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking the scouts aren't an overly brilliant choice for their points (though they do add another aspect to the army). I could replace them with some more wardancers (maybe make a unit of 6 and a unit of 7 or something), although I'm not sure on the best unit size for wardancers.

As for tooling out the characters, I'm still very much in the goblin groove of not giving them too much (a goblin with 50pts of magic items is pretty much as effective as a goblin with a great weapon and a bad attitude). Are wood elf characters much more effective kitted out? I'm just not too keen on having a lot of points running around where a single magic missile or whimsical unit's shooting can nobble them (obviously they shouldn't be in a position to be nobbleable, but even so...).

The noble (not the alter) was going to pretty much cower and then hit a key unit with the hail of doom arrow, leaving the alter free to be engaging (rather than shooting) and not risking the extra 100vp my opponent could get for killing the general.

I did initially think of taking a spellsinger (as my general, and then an alter on the side), but her magic wouldn't be overly effective, and I thought a single dispel dice isn't really going to change anything in the grand scheme of things. Then I thought of taking a branchwraith with a cluster of radients (nice combination of combat and magic defense), which would probably be pretty good, however I don't have the/a model. So instead I opted for the active defense (get rid of enemy wizards by panicing their unit/sending the eagle in), but is that a wise plan (my group can get quite magicy at times, but hopefully the "balanced armies tournament" should restrict the number of mages across the board from me)?

I quite like the prospect of having my general with the wardancers (I'm intreagued by the prospect of an amber pendant/great weapon combo) but considering the alter will be off hunting things, he's likely to be quite exposed, and with the hail of doom arrow he's starting to get expensive.

Thanks for the reply, it has raised some interesting ideas in my mind, and also intreagued me that you're recommending more points in characters (many people seem to say there's no need for a second, never mind tooling them both up). Having said that, I do tend to look at alter kindred as being more of an elite unit (almost like a vargulf) rather than a character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goblin heroes <<< WE Heroes

i deck my boys out. They are not game changers in themselves but they are a great supplement to the army that can help turn the tide.

the Standard alter: HoDA, HoTH, GW, S, LA
    is almost a must in a wood elf army. He costs a nice 158 points which is hardly super expensive. You dont need to worry about wasting points on items. Fire Hail of Doom on the first or second round of the game. Aim for Light Cav or enemy missile troops. Then using terrain to your advantage jump in and out of combats crushing flanks with his 5 str6 attacks on the charge.

For the Branchwraith model? just convert a dryad? throw a spite or two on her paint her a different color (maybe dry brush her with a nice metallic gold or silver) and WHAM! Branchwraith.

also dont knock the spellsinger caddy
    Spellsinger
    Dispel scroll x2

Thats 3 dispel dice and 2 scrolls in a 1000 point game. You can still go active magic D with your alter and Great Eagle and those 2 scrolls will help ensure that in those first critical rounds that nothing goes seriously awry!

Elves might be T3, but they are quick which allow them to dart in and out of terrian effectively. Your heroes will do the same. Will they still get magicked into the dirt by a DE or DoC army? Of course! nothing you can do about that.

+ Reply to Thread