1200pt balanced/friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

1200pt balanced/friendly

Just a quick 1200pt army I came up with and had some success with.

x1 Noble with sword of might, enchanted shield and light armour
    (Mainly took this character because I had a nice model to use and also for his Ld)

x1 Spell Singer level 2 x2 dispel scrolls
    (Spell Caddy)

x1 Alter Kindred Noble + Great Weapon + Light Armour + shield
    (Really just to make up points and go war machine hunting)

10 Glade Guard + Champion
    10 Glade Guard + Champion
    (Basic core troops provide a good 20 shots a turn. I put my Noble in with these guys to add a point of Ld and a little bit of combat beef).

8 Dryads
    8 Wardancers
    (These guys are my hitters. I lure the enemy in and try and go for the flanks of units)

1 Treeman
    (A nice stubborn unit that has a good save and hits fairly hard. Strangle Root is also quite nasty. Not to much in 1200pts can take down a treeman too easily especially when I use trees for cover to keep out of sight of cannons and the like).

Basic Tactics; Try and whittle down the enemy with bow fire and funnel them using woods and tree singing.

Keep my wardancers out of sight but maybe use my dryads as bait.

Try and manouvre an ambush with my Treeman.

Use my Wardancers as a second wave to drive the enemy off.

"God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

First of all, I'd drop the champions from your Glade Guard. I don't think they're doing you any good. And I'd not put your Noble in your glade guard; I'd put him in the wardancers. He's not going to make them good enough at combat to actually do anything to 7th edition, or even 6th edition, infantry. The glade guard will just get him killed, and he can add alot to a wardancer unit.

Also, I'd either drop the level 2 or take a calaingor's stave. Our magic needs to hit a certain critical mass in 7th edition, even at 1K. Being able to throw treesinging multiple times will let you do that and surf your treeman around. If you find you don't really want magic, but need to make your woods scary, simply taking a deep wood sphere will let you do that without using magic.

Since you have a treeman, I'd recommend making at least one noble, probably your general, into a BSB. I know you want the leadership; so it's fundamentally a judgement call. For a BSB, there are a few good combos. The Oaken Armour is good, as is the stone of crystal mere and sword of might. Since he should be in the wardancers, and you have no combat resolution or rank breakers, taking the annoyance of netlings and a warbanner can also be a good combo. You'll be able to hide him in challenges, and get combat resolution from killing unit champions and taking a standard+warbanner.

If you leave him as a general, alot of these set ups will still work quite nicely on him; but I'd prefer a war dancer noble (I usually run them with the blades of loec myself).

I'm assuming you're not taking the Hail of Doom Arrow because this is a friendly game? Both the Hail of Doom Arrow and a treeman at 1K make for a rather competitive list. The obvious caddy for this would be your alter. If you're not taking any magic items on him, I think you'll really be better served with warhawks. They have more wounds and can fly, making them better at baiting, march blocking, and eating war machines.

All told, if you drop level 2, your two champions, and a wardancer you'll have 65 points to work with.

That gives you enough points to turn your noble into a bsb with 50 points of stuff and still have 33 points left. I'd use these to put some magic items on your alter kin.
    Alternatively, you could get a wardancer noble with 28 points left over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Your probably right about the Noble being with the wardancers. Certainly he was a massive waste of points when I played my last battle against Orcs and Goblins. His Ld wasn't required and he nearly got himself killed by a Doom Diver.

On the other hand I disagree with your points about the magic. In my experience dispel scrolls are the most effective magic items to give any mage as they allow you to dodge a bullit. Magic is one of the few areas where Wood Elves can become unstuck vey quickly.

Treesinging is nice in theory but is fairly hard to actually pull off with any reliability, it is easier and more effective to use your mages, in a defensive capacity. If anything I would probably drop a level and use those points to making the noble a Wardancer.

I always take Champions for my units, call it intuition but it doesn't seem right going to battle without unit leaders. In truth this is more than just a fluff thing, the few times I haven't taken champions I am never quite satisified with how the unit performs. Its probably because statistically the unit should be performing marginally better (with an extra attack or point of Bs) but isn't. Anyway I have suitable champion models so for me there is no excuse not to take them.

I didn't take the Hail Doom arrow because I simply didn't have enough points and because I based my army around a particular set of models I wanted to use.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; January 9th, 2010 at 00:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Lol! I think I miscommunicated. I'd keep a dispel caddy, but I think it's a waste to make dispel caddies level 2. That's just my preference, but the only times I've been able to use magic effectively has been with the double singers.

Dropping a level is exactly what I would do in your list as well.

I would definitely use those points to upgrade your general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Ah that makes more sense!

The only reason why I wouldn't upgrade the General would be for fluff reasons. I have quite a nice (old) woodelf hero model, but he is no Wardancer so if I wanted to use him I would need to keep the General as he is. Also it works quite well as almost the head of a clan of wood elves who have been joined by some wardancers. The Treeman and Dryads are of course merely Athel Loren fighting on behalf of the elves.

+ Reply to Thread