its that time of the year again! 2250 tournament list, need input! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

its that time of the year again! 2250 tournament list, need input!

My annual tournament is coming round in February, and of course I'm going to join with my Wood Elves.

I want to to it differently than last years, I used to run a dual Treeman list with no success. Both Treemen failing stubborn break test every game of the tournament, both Treemen, EVERY GAME!! that's 8 out of 8 failed break tests!

I know I should have had a BSB in there, but I didn't, so shame on me

Like I said, I wanted to try something different.

Unnamed2250 Pts - Wood Elves Army

Highborn
    General; Longbow; Light Armour
    Bow of Loren
    Enchanted Shield
    Glamourweave
    Arcane Bodkins
    Great Eagle

Alter Noble
    Great Weapon; Longbow; Light Armour; Shield
    Helm of the Hunt
    Hail of Doom Arrow

Spellsinger
    Dispel Scroll
    Dispel Scroll

10 Glade Guard
    Musician

10 Glade Guard
    Musician

6 Glade Riders
    Musician

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Wardancers
    Musician

8 Wardancers
    Musician

4 Warhawk Riders

4 Treekin

1 Treeman

1 Great Eagle

Casting Pool: 3
    Dispel Pool: 3
    Models in Army: 72
    Total Army Cost: 2250

--

Highborn:
    I've run this set-up with moderate variations, and I really love this guy. Sadly not enough points left for a spear.

Noble:
    Can't go wrong with this guy. He's for supporting charges and the HoDA vessel.

Scroll caddie:
    I'd like two of these, but I'm not sure where I'm going to get the points. I don't like WE magic in its offensive powers, so I won't even attempt it.

Wardancers:
    I haven't run two units of WDs before, so I'll need some warm-up games to get used to them.

Treeman:
    I love this guy, period. I'd put him in just for the soft points (converting/painting).
    A great lighting rod and anvil, brings much needed punch.

Warhawk Riders:
    Again, not to much experience with these guys, I hope they will be performing well in their specific roles.

Treekin:
    These guys I'm not sure about. They cost allot and perform mediocre in past experience. Four models wide is almost to unwieldy to handle, I'm considering dropping them to 3, but that might just not strong enough.

--

I'd love if you guys could comment on my list and give suggestions how I can change it for the better.
    The things I'm debating are
    a second scroll caddy,
    dropping the Treeking altogether,
    add a bsb?,
    maybe still use 2 treemen,
    more shooting.

I don't have all that many models extra, 8 more Dryads and a second Treeman. I have some non painted Wildriders, but I'm not sold on how they did for me, so I don't know if I want them in here.

Edit:
    If I drop the Treekin, I can add another unit of Wardancers and another unit of Dryads.

Last edited by Maximus-Prime; January 12th, 2010 at 22:40.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that in 2250 if you do not take a strong magic defence the game can be over before it has begun. My fav is the standard lv3 spellweaver with WOWE, scroll caddy and branchwraith with COR. That gives you 7 DD re rolable with 2 x dispell.
    Your four treekin are very expensive IMO for what they do, I have started taking two units of 6 wild riders, banners if points allow. Hold them back behind cover (minimizing casualties) until needed and use them to negate rank bonus or side charge a unit of knights. They just allow you much more maneuverability and cause your oponent a much bigger headache.
    I would only take a BSB if you are running two treemen, it is a big cost for a back up for just one.

Just my two cents, hope it helps
    Last edited by lukran; January 13th, 2010 at 09:27.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

The problem I ran into last tournaments was heavily armoured troops, and the bodkin lord hasn't failed me there once, taking out a unit of Cold one knights in the first turn for example.
    I feel that without him, I have allot of trouble hurting plated armies.

And going in magic heavy just doesn't do it for me with WE, and I tried it allot of different ways.
    Last year I ran 2 scroll caddies, with 4 scrolsl in total. The only problem was I faced two armies without any magic, at all!

I just don't like the idea of spending a lord choice on magic defence I guess, solid as it might be.

I'm really torn about the WR's, they pack a punch, but are tricky to deliver properly, I'll give them a try in some of the warm-up matches.
    I like how you use them, I haven't tried that!
    I'll give it a shot, thanks m8.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well seeing your list I think there are a few adjustments I would make.

First of all I would indeed put in that second scroll caddy, just to be sure... you dont want to fight a MH HE army with only 2 DS! Thats pure suicide... So then the where do I get my points question arises. I say leave the treekin at home! With the amount of dryads you field there is no need for an extra 4 treekin.

Then about the Warhawks, I play them allot, simply because they are great against warmachines! Fly them towards a wood, and land them behind it, but place one of them so that it can see the canon (or whatever you are facing) then charge! them the next turn. Also great for lone character hunting, and march blocking. These can also support your Great Eagle noble by simply staying close.

I cant advice you on the use of BSB's since I rarely use one. The only use I see for it is to go along with my treeman, keeping it in CC when needed!

About the WD, you will like those, trust me! They are the single most tricky unit out there. They are good to begin with, but after adding the 4 dances they cause pure havoc in the enemy's lines! Do note that they aren't strong enough to take on large blocks of black guard (for example). So try to keep them with a unit of dryads, and multi-charge (or use the WH for that).

Well enough said, I hope this helps...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I would definitely drop the treekin. Get yourself another scroll caddy. Then try to scrounge up some points for a unit of wild riders.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I defiantly agree with more magic defense i personally really like have a lvl 4 a lvl 2 and the branchwraith basically makes you immune to magic unless they roll irresistible. However if thats not your style go with another scroll caddy. though i feel you are missing out if you cant spam tree-singing its very useful for running the tempo of the game and keeping units of chaos knights and other annoying units out of the game. I also have little faith in the tree kin and fell you would be much better served with the wildriders the pack a punch and are basicly mobile combat res. The warhawk riders i found to be amazing and alot of fun with their hit and run killing casters and other such squishy things maybe even cut them down to 3.

Bottom line only things you really need is more magic defense and you should be sweet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Between life and death is desire the source of all suffering.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread