2250 Tournament WE list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 Tournament WE list

LORD
    Highborn-252 points
    Alter Kindred
    Great Weapon
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Bow of Loren
    Arcane Bodkins

HERO
    Noble- 158 points
    Alter Kindred
    Great Weapon
    Light Armour
    Shield
    Helm of The Hunt
    Annoyance of Netlings

HERO
    Spellsinger- 140 points
    Deepwood sphere
    Dispell Scroll

HERO
    Spellsinger- 140 points
    2X Dispel Scrolls

CORE
    10 Glade Guard- 120 points
    +musician
    +musician
    9 Glade Guard Scouts- 190 points
    +Standard Bearer, Saemrath the banner of Zenith

8 Dryads- 96 points
    8 Dryads- 96 points
    8 Dryads- 96 points

5 Glade Rider- 129
    +musician

SPECIAL
    10 Wardancers- 180 points

RARE
    10 Waywatchers- 240 points
    Treeman - 285

2249 Points
    PD- 4
    DD- 4
    3 dispell scrolls

Now i recently played this list in a tournament and ill give a short bit about the games.
    game 1- against empire (priest heavy and with one lvl 2 wizard with mostly ranged unit, crossbows, handguns cannons and that multishot gun, cant remember the name and one steam tank)
    Result- Massacre, the bound spells were fairly easy to dispell and i had no problem wiping his ranged units with mine, ignored the tank the whole game and it only killed 1 dryad.
    game 2- against empire (only 1 wizard, no priests larger blocks of ranged units and had two 8 man units of heavy calv)
    Result Massacre, killed wizard first turn treesung right up to his lines and charged out, treeman lost against handgunners cause i rolled 4 ones when rolling to wound and he was caught and destroyed, but annilated the rest of the army pretty easily. My lord was VERY nice to have against those calv as he basically killed a whole unit of 8 by himself with the bodkins.
    game 3- against Warriors of Chaos (Tzeentch list, magic heavy lvl 4 flying daemon caster, 2 lvl 2's in a block unit of chaos warriors, and some light and fast calv with 5 units of 5 hounds for screening.
    Result- I was Massacred. Killed all of the hounds and fast cav, killed 3 out of 5 knights but in the end his magic decimated me every round. Waywatchers were the first to go, and my dispell scrolls were gone by turn 2 so after that i took that 15+ spell 2d6 hits at 2d6 str almost every turn, in addition to many other spells, lost both alters soon after i ran out of scrolls :/

Now ive been trying to tune my list so that it will be better without specializing it too much.
    I have already (unless you convince me otherwise) decided to cut the scouts and replace them with normal glade guard and also to cut the banner and magical banner in that unit as well. I also want to get rid of the deepwood sphere and have been thinking about but am not sure of changing the annoyance of netlings on my hero to a Hail of doom arrow. Other things id like are another unit of glade riders and to remove musicians as they didnt do much.
    I would like any suggestion you have and anything is up for change, ive been trying to spec a list for a lvl 4 caster as that may help against magic or a branchwraith with cluster. But am not sure if that is the correct answer to my problems. It could even just be a switch of tactics. I have never played chaos before so that was a new expierience as well as i thought i could have played better.
    So one question is how many points can i put towards defence against magic without truly hurting myself when fighting armies with very little magic like in my second game.
    I am a first time poster here but have been reading for some time.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by baynexilos; January 19th, 2010 at 00:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, the list looks pretty solid. Just a few changes I would make (befor I read through you battle report)

First, Place the highborne on a great eagle. That way he is even faster, and there is almost no way of getting it (great for points denial, maybe drop the alter kindred so he is the army general!)

Second, drop the annoyance on the alter for the HoDA! You really want one of those! 3D6 S4 hits. That can decimate an entire unit on the first turn!

Now after reading your tactica:

I will never convince you of keeping the scouts, I think they suck for their points! So drop those for normal GG. I would keep the musicians in the units of GR if you have the points. They can come in very handy. drop the Wardancer unit to 8. Think about fielding another unit of GR (so you have more fast units) or maybe another unit of 8 WD (more combat power).

Against magic, you could take a branchwraith with cluster of radients and lvl1 caster. That gives you 2DD for about 150pts. Or you could field another lvl2 scroll caddy. This should give you a solid defence against magic, and a bit of an offensive when playing against something light weight.

About the mages, shoot their units up with a HoDA... use the Hunter Talon to snipe them out of their units... or try to charge their units with GR in the flank and dryads up front. If you get in CC with a unit with a mage, direct ALL attack you can towards the mage, do not challenge!

well thats it for my thoughts... hope they help!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by baynexilos View Post
    LORD
    Highborn-252 points
    Alter Kindred
    Great Weapon
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Bow of Loren
    Arcane Bodkins
    Get an enchanted shield and the glamourweave item for protection.

HERO
    Noble- 158 points
    Alter Kindred
    Great Weapon
    Light Armour
    Shield
    Helm of The Hunt
    Annoyance of Netlings
    Definitely trade the netlings for the hail of doom arrow.

HERO
    Spellsinger- 140 points
    Deepwood sphere
    Dispell Scroll

HERO
    Spellsinger- 140 points
    2X Dispel Scrolls
    The mages are fine. May want to switch the sphere for another scroll.

CORE
    +musician
    +musician
    9 Glade Guard Scouts- 190 points
    +Standard Bearer, Saemrath the banner of Zenith

8 Dryads- 96 points
    8 Dryads- 96 points
    8 Dryads- 96 points

5 Glade Rider- 129
    +musician
    Drop the scouts. Maybe drop a unit of dryads if you need the points. Musicians on the glade guard are nice, but only if you have the extra points.

SPECIAL
    10 Wardancers- 180 points
    Drop down to 7 or 8. Try to add a unit of wild riders.

RARE
    Treeman - 285
    Rares are fine
    The spellweaver build is a totally different animal. It can work very well. There are some lists posted here for that build. Tune one to your liking if you want to go that route, and post what you come up with.

Good work getting 2 massacres out of 3 games,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LORD
    Highborn-252 points
    Alter Kindred
    Great Weapon
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Bow of Loren
    Arcane Bodkins

HERO
    Noble- 158 points
    Alter Kindred
    Great Weapon
    Light Armour
    Shield
    Helm of The Hunt
    Hail of Doom Arrow

HERO
    Spellsinger- 140 points
    2xDispell Scroll

HERO
    Spellsinger- 140 points
    2X Dispel Scrolls

CORE

8 Dryads- 96 points
    8 Dryads- 96 points
    8 Dryads- 96 points

5 Glade Rider- 120
    5 Glade Riders- 120

SPECIAL
    8 Wardancers- 144 points

RARE
    Treeman - 285

Total 2247
    PD 4
    DD 4

Ok so here is my first set of changes, i have a few questions though, what makes you take wardancers in units of 8 rather then say 10? i assume its because you dont ever get 10 in base to base anyway and you cant get a rank bonus anyhow, but i always took 10 as i was afraid to lose some to shooting and magic.
    Though in my games this wasnt a problem really so i think you are correct.

The only other changes were HoDa for Netlings and sphere for another scroll, ditched the scout unit (original plan was to use it for march blocking but it was mostly useless in most of my games except as a normal glade guard unit), also with the extra points i snagged another unit of Glade Riders, which i found to be awsome in the games i played. I did not snag an enchanted shield though i kinda want one, just have no points left 0.0 The glamourweave i didnt get as i dont think its hard to keep him out of sight of all but his targets, and he was killed by non-magic missile spells anyhow (that and i dont have the points )

Another question i have is why not challenge the mages in the units with them? dont warriors of chaos have to accept? (was told this, have not yet read the army book)
    Also is their a way to allocate hits just on the mages from say a single character or would i have to have a unit that actually spread enough to touch them? like dryads or wardancers.

Also if you didnt know, im fairly new to wood elves, i played them a little 9 years ago when i was 12 but dont remember much. Have been playing orcs and goblins past few years though rarely and have only played them once and then the wood elves in this tournement since the latest edition of warhammer came out (and as you all know that was awhile ago). I do play flames of war and 40k alot though so i think i am descent at strategy but i think alot of playing this army will just come from....playing this army..heh. In the last game i played against warriors of chaos i felt that i played poorly and some of that was from lack of expierience.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, id love some more or maybe an assesment of this new list i have.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by baynexilos View Post
    LORD
    Ok so here is my first set of changes, i have a few questions though, what makes you take wardancers in units of 8 rather then say 10? i assume its because you dont ever get 10 in base to base anyway and you cant get a rank bonus anyhow, but i always took 10 as i was afraid to lose some to shooting and magic.
    Though in my games this wasnt a problem really so i think you are correct.
    You answered your own question.

The only other changes were HoDa for Netlings and sphere for another scroll, ditched the scout unit (original plan was to use it for march blocking but it was mostly useless in most of my games except as a normal glade guard unit), also with the extra points i snagged another unit of Glade Riders, which i found to be awsome in the games i played. I did not snag an enchanted shield though i kinda want one, just have no points left 0.0 The glamourweave i didnt get as i dont think its hard to keep him out of sight of all but his targets, and he was killed by non-magic missile spells anyhow (that and i dont have the points )
    You could drop one wardancer for and enchanted shield and a musician for one of the glade rider units.

Another question i have is why not challenge the mages in the units with them? dont warriors of chaos have to accept? (was told this, have not yet read the army book)
    Also is their a way to allocate hits just on the mages from say a single character or would i have to have a unit that actually spread enough to touch them? like dryads or wardancers.
    You can't challenge the mage. You issue a challenge and he decides who will accept. So if he has a champ, that is who you will be in a challenge with. If you win that one, and stick around you can issue another challenge, and that might get you into combat with the mage.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Or, after you kill his champion, he can just decline your next challenge and have his mage moved to the back of the unit where it's nice and safe. Better just to direct attacks at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do answer my own questions sometimes as in general i try to think about what people are saying and why, but i also wanted to make sure i was on track with what you were saying. Seems im ok in that case though

As for dropping the wardancers even lower, that would be tough. I would be willing to part with a despell scroll and that would allow me JUST enough points for enchanted shield and a musician in each GR unit. Though id like to know what you think of that as i mostly lost to a magic heavy army. Though there is not much i can do there as he will always have lots more PD then i do dispell and his mages being in a unit of warriors with something like 1+ saves makes things difficult. I guess ill just have to hit that unit with 2 or 3 of mine and try to direct attacks at the mages like you guys have suggested. The level 4 daemon he runs with is nearly immune to shooting and as he flies its tough to get him in CC but i did manage it last game and locked him up partially for 2 turns (though he can still cast that gate spell in combat i believe and thats really all he casted all game...).

As for challenging and killing his champ that wouldnt be hard, though i dont think id have the overkill bonus high enough to win combat without someone else doing some damage as well, like wardancers or dryads, then i might be able to win a combat, he most likely wouldnt break but id be able to do another challenge the next turn, though i beleive any warrior of chaos can accept challenges so I might never get to the mages at all this way. So best to still direct attacks.

Thanks again for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that rule, they have to accept and make challenges.

Although, I'm pretty certain that "anyone can accept challenges" rule isn't a chaos rule. I know blood knights have it, but I don't think mortals do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct Gnomish.Id. Blood Knights accept challenges even when they do not have a champion. Mortals actually need a character or a champion to accept challenges with.

I think some Dryads on the flank should be able to provide you with the extra combat resolution you need. It does depend a bit on how the warriors are geared.

+ Reply to Thread