2000pt Need Help Before I Buy! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

2000pt Need Help Before I Buy!

Thinking of starting wood elves but want to see if I have a competative list before I start buying models.

Lord-

Highborn- Alter Kin, Bow of Loren, Enchanted shield, Stone of the crystal mere, Arcane bodkins, light armor, greatweapon

Heros-

Branthwraith- Lvl 1 wizard, murder spites, cluster of radiants

Spellsinger- Lvl 2 wizard, 2 dispell crolls

Core-

10 glade guard- musician

10 glade guard- musician

10 glade guard- musician

10 dryads- nymph

10 dryads- nymph

Special-

8 Wardancers- Musician

Rare-

5 Waywatchers

1 Treeman

What do you think? I love the look and feel of this army but dont know if ill be competative with this list so please let me know about sound changes I could make. Ur opinions will be rewarded. Looking for a very stand and shooty army with good strong counter attack abilities and lil bit of magic/counter magic...but really just let me know what works and what doesnt.

Last edited by Laughing God; February 7th, 2010 at 22:13.
    2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

BTW the big players in my area are: dark elves, oges, slann lizard men, tomb kings, orcs/gobbos, skaven, beastmen.

I play against Vampires, high elves,and dwarves rarely. And empire never. But I preffer to have a well rounded list as upposed to one talored to beat these armies.
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing God View Post
    Lord-

Highborn- Alter Kin, Bow of Loren, Enchanted shield, Stone of the crystal mere, Arcane bodkins, light armor, greatweapon
    Fine.

Heros-

You can't double up on spites. They are the same as magic items. Most balanced lists have on wraith. I would change the murder for the annoyance of netlings, though this won't affect what you want to buy.

Spellsinger- Lvl 2 wizard, 2 dispell crolls
    Wood elf magic isn't all that great. I would leave him at level 1.

Core-

10 glade guard- musician

10 glade guard- musician

10 glade guard- musician

10 dryads- nymph

10 dryads- nymph
    Core is good, though I would drop the dryads to eight, and only have a nymph in the unit a wraith will be in.

Special-

8 Wardancers- Musician
    Wardancers are always good.

Rare-

5 Waywatchers
    Waywatchers are good. I would want at least one more, and probably a few more.

1 Treeman
    Everybody loves treemen.
    So in summary, I would drop one wraith and replace with the standard alter noble (noble with light armour, shield, great weapon, hail of doom arrow, and helm of the hunt). And drop some dryads for more waywathcers.

Welcome to the forest,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty good. The only changes I'd make are:
    - dryads are usually taken in units of 8, as they can't get rank bonuses, and the spare 4 are usually useless. I like how you've included nymphs, so that they can accept challenges instead of the branchwraiths. A tactic that I use and is really effective is placing a unit of dryads behind every GG unit, allowing the GG to shoot at the enemy, then flee when they charge leaving the dryads to charge them. To do this you could drop your squads to 8, and possibly remove a wardancer (they're usually taken in 7s or 8s).
    - personally, I never leave home without an alter noble. I'd free up a few points, and add a noble w/ hail of doom arrows, helm of the hunt, LA, SH, GW. This setup is amazing IMO, always killing far over its points worth. After all, it wouldn't hurt to loose one branchwraith, you've enough magic defence already.
    - there is no fast cavalry, which is one of WE's most important aspects. A unit of WR or GR can do really well, and really wouldn't go amiss in your list. I'm not sure how to free up the points exactly, as I don't know what your favourite units are, but WR are a great hammer when combined with a treeman. I always take a unit of fast cav. in my WE armies, as for me they always perform well, and often work in conjunction with my alter noble.
    - IMO, you've spent a little too much on magic defense. Personally, I'd drop a branchwraith, using the points for a unit of wild riders. This would still give you a lot of magic defense, and the advantage of having fast cav. Finally, I would definitely fit in hail of doom arrows somewhere in your list, as that is WE's one amazing magic item.

Hope I've helped,
    GnoblarGobbler

VW progress ==> runner up (out in round 5) Fluff wars ==> round 1 win, round 2 win
    Winter Wood elves W7 D0 L0 Witch hunter ogres W2 D1 L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Lord-

Heros-

Spellsinger- Lvl1 wizard, 2 dispell crolls

Noble- Alter kindred, Light armor, great weapon, shield, doom arrow, helm of hunt

Core-

10 glade guard- musician

10 glade guard- musician

10 glade guard- musician

8 dryads- nymph

8 dryads- nymph

Special-

8 Wardancers- Musician

Rare-

6 Waywatchers

1 Treeman

Better? Cant find room for cav, and I still have 70 points floating around. any ideas? If i did take cavalry how are the units usually set up?
    Thank for all ur help. keep it coming and ill be on the table top in no time! rep for you all
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Much better. With the extra points you have a couple of options. First, you could just up the quantity of waywatchers to 9. You would have to lose one of the musicians from the glade guard for this.

Or for a second option, you could drop all three musicians from the glade guard, plus the wardancer musician leaving you with 7 wardancers. This would give you the points for a unit of 5 glade riders. In order the get the musician that they normally are fielded with, you would have to drop the other nymph, but could add back in the wardancer musician upgrade. If you went this route, I would really suggest the annoyance of netlings on the wraith.

Good luck,
    SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Went with buying more waywatchers. I like the models and fluff and they are still very mobile and shooty. not very fond of horses either...unless you think it would be the better choice to shave all the upgrades and get riders...
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

Either one is a good choice. Personally, if I was making this list, I would drop the treeman and go for more units. If I make a shooting list, I like to have glade riders and an eagle to redirect things away from my shooting units. But your list is a good balance between combat and shooting, and strangleroots is a nice shooting attack also.

SirKently

+ Reply to Thread