<3000 2250pt - please let me know if this army is a bit too much... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250pt - please let me know if this army is a bit too much...

Hi, after reading the new 8th ed rules I've tried to build a list which plays to WE's new strengths, that in my opinion being a) shooting and b) magic. So I've left my 2 tree men at home and decided to take 3 hoards of GG and 2 lords (YAY!). I'll just quickly mention I've only played 2 games with this army - against O&G and Empire, both of which we're terribly bad wins for me (which is why I wanted to question if I continue to play this army will it leave me game-less or should it present a good challenge to an opponent??).

Anyway please feel free to critique;

Highborn (Alter), Lt Armor + Ench Shield, BOL + Bodkins - 256

Spell Weaver (lvl4), Wand of witch elm - 305

Noble, GW, Lt Armor + Shield, HoDA, HoTH - 158

30 x GG, Musician, Banner, Champ - 384

5 x Wardancers - 90

5 x Wardancers - 90

3 x Warhawk Riders - 120

Great Eagle - 50

Apologies but can I also say - pouring out 75 arrows a turn is fun, stand and shoot got a whole lot better and GG can actually hold up in CC with their high initiative and fighting in 3 ranks. Wardancer 'assassin' squads are also definately the way to go, especially when the unit being charged has the BSB and General (I'll pick... whirling death!)... sorry I'll stop rambling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b"h
    WOW... you got 90 models of archers?
    I got 40 and I thougt it was a lot.

especially when the unit being charged has the BSB and General (I'll pick... whirling death!)... sorry I'll stop rambling
    And what exactltly your general could do?
    A spellweaver is realy nice caster but you don't wan't him in melee.

Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Id get rid of the wardancers and eagle and warhawk riders and put in a treeman, for he love to eat skaven hordes.

I never leave home without one, or two, or 5.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by super sorcerer View Post
    b"h
    WOW... you got 90 models of archers?
    I got 40 and I thougt it was a lot.
    I've got 70 glade guard and I think I might want to get more xD They're really good in this edition.

As for the list, I think at most you only need 1 big unit, but I'd prefer a bunch of smaller units because you have more options and when you get charged you don't loose the whole thing. I say one big unit because you can put your Weaver in there and give the unit regeneration, but other then that it's a waste. Also, in the case of Glade Gaurd it would be better NOT to horde them, but Stack them long ways so you can get some ranked combat resoultion.

With what's there I would do this:

Keep the unit of 30, full cmd. Split the others into 3 groups of 10 with a musican and 1 more with music and a banner (70 GG total). Get a BSB with Armor of Destiny and put him and the Weaver in the group of 30. Then add another Eagle. You then have 26 points to spare. Your Lords are just about full on points, otherwise I'd suggest something there. Instead I would get a magic banner for your group of 30. Get a banner of Springtide.

Cheers.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi thanks for the tips. Not sure how the banner of spring tide works these days as the minimum stand and shoot distance is the enemies normal move distance. So I suppose you half that which would mean you can S&S from e.g. 2 inches for humans.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Now a days, if they are within their movement value, you cna't stand and shoot. The distance is much shorter now, but it fills out your points. If you think you spend 10/15 Points somewhere, I'd say replace it with a Banner of Swiftness or Flames.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would personally remove the Alter off your Highborn and make him either a Scout or leave him kindred-less.
    I would make your Noble the BSB and drop the shield.
    I would also drop the wardancer units, MSU is dead and put treekin or something more durable in their stead.
    I would turn your units of 30 Glade Guard into units of 20 2x10 and add banners to each. You will lose 5 shots that you get due to volley if you move at all, why not capitalize on the number of archers you are fielding at all times?
    You don't have any real close combat units in the army which is why I recommended Treekin but at this point level and with what you have already put into the list Treekin would require you making some substantial changes, might I recommend totally dropping the wardancers and adding another eagle or maybe Waywatchers? If you are going full shooting, why not go for the gold and use our best of the best?
    If you won the games badly and wafflestomped your friends, more than likely they played badly and you didn't. If the list keeps winning ask your friends if the list is not fun to play against. If they say yes, then you can reevaluate it otherwise they need to learn to adapt their playstyle and strategy to handle a shooting army.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Basically, you are just hoping to shoot everything down. With a few small units to take things away from charging your shooters. Its viable, but I think boring. And I don't like paying for archers that don't get to shoot.

As for the stand and shoot reaction, you can't normally shoot if they are within their movement characteristic (4 for a normal human).

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread