1500 pts friendly army list... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts friendly army list...

Note I hardly got any of these models yet, i just wanted to know if this would be a good general idea for army composition:

An Army Battle Standard on foot with Annoyance of Nettlings

2 Level 1 Spellsingers on foot, each with a Dispell Scroll

a nice big unit of 19 Eternal Guard with Full Command and a Warbanner

Two units of 8 Dryads each

Two units of 5 Glade Riders each, both with musician

Two units of 10 Glade Guard each, both with musician

Have about 170 points left. Do I need a better general than a spellsinger? Are those eternal guard really that good, I heard they are, and I think I really need a big unit of good warriors because winning from an enemy army full of big blocks of infantery using only skirmishers and stuff seems kind of... impossible?

edit 10 nov 2006:
    So Davids been helping me alot and here's my new list for now... though he deserves alot of credit for it :yes: :sleep:

HEROES
    Branchwraith, lvl 1, general, cluster of radiants, murder of spites
    Noble, BSB, annoyance, lt armor
    Spellsinger, lvl 2, Calaingor's Stave

CORE
    Dryads x 8
    Dryads x 8
    Glade Riders x 5, musician
    Glade Guard x 10, musician
    Glade Guard x 10, musician

SPECIAL
    Eternal Guard x 19, fc, war banner
    Wild Riders x 5, musician

RARE
    Great Eagle

Last edited by MisterDutch; November 10th, 2006 at 08:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You can win with only skirmishers. This last Sunday at the local tourney, I massacred a Dwarf shooting army that had two units of warriors and an Ogre Kingdoms army. Two units of wardancers kick arse, no doubt about it. Then I had two units of trusty dryads.

I like your list and would make a few modest changes.

LORDS
    Branchwraith, lvl 1, general, cluster of radiants, murder of spites
    Noble, BSB, annoyance, lt armor
    Spellsinger, lvl 2, deepwood sphere

CORE
    Dryads x 8
    Dryads x 8
    Glade Riders x 5, mus
    Glade Riders x 5, mus
    Glade Guard x 10, mus
    Glade Guard x 10, mus

SPECIAL
    Eternal Guard x 19, fc, war banner

RARE
    Great Eagle

The BW makes a more formidable general with a little more durability. You could exchange the murder of spites for a bound spell spite if you wanted to beef up the magic phase. Plus, the BW adds two dispel dice with the cluster, which IMO is more effective than the extra scroll.

The lt armor on the noble is one of those just in case. You'd hate to die to a skeleton champion who slips through a six to hit and then a four to wound. Sure, a 1 in 6 chance at making a save isn't great, but it's a chance.

Pushing the singer to lvl 2 adds a little more punch to your offensive magic phase. The deepwood sphere allows you to hide her in a wooded piece and surprise the heck out of any skirmishers who come after her. Plus, it enhances treesinging for you. Another good option is Calaignor's Stave, which makes treesinging that much more useful.

The GRs and GG are a great option, and the musicians are an easy call. You'll want both to do some fleeing.

The EG are a really solid unit, though I wouldn't call them great. What makes them so effective is the sheer number of attacks they can muster. It's the BSB which makes them so capable. Keep a unit of GRs around to negate ranks with a flank charge when you can. Dryads are also great for flank charging and protecting your own flanks.

The Eagle is a cheap, very useful addition. It'll take out warmachines, go after mages in units on kamikaze runs, bait charges, and march block. Plus, it adds a third unit to go with the GRs that really extends your threat range. And it can't be marchblocked like GRs can.

That should come to around 1492 and would make a really viable list, I think.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah! You actually took the time to make a complete list for me. Thanks! I really like it, I might change the equipment of the heroes a bit though. I want to be good at treesinging (that's why I originally took 2 mages) but I also want to have a reliable defense. I guess 5 dispell dice are about as good as what I had earlier. Still, no dispell scrolls... I might try to make up some room for at least one. When I have more time I'll look over it again but for now, thanks. I like how you made a good list while keeping in mind me wanting to have 2 units of GG, dryads, and GR each. and the EG.

Though I MIGHT switch the latter for TreeKin, I still haven't figured out which would be better...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohh also, Might it be a good idea to switch one of the Glade Rider units for a unit of 5 Wild Riders? Any points left i'd then spend on a command group for them. They can't shoot but they are much better in combat right? :yes:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Wild Riders are far better in combat. They're my second favorite combat unit, right behind wardancers. But some players prefer GRs since they can flee. But for just two more points, WRs hit harder in combat, have a slew of saves, and worry the crap out of your enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right!

So what is generally done... Wild Riders or Glade Riders? Hm, 5 S3 shots won't do a whole lot unless im harassing other missile troops who will shoot the crap out of me in return anyway. yeah I CAN flee but baiting isn't really used a whole lot because most players I meet play very tactically already... so 2 units of GR might not be a good idea. I'll take 1 unit of each at least, unless it would really be preferable to take 2 units of Wild Riders instead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

I think one unit of each would be good. Fast Cav can do a lot, even if they don't score many kills with shooting.

But march blocking, harassing flanks, dealing with war machines, and the like is really useful. And while your opponent may know that you're baiting a charge, if you position the GG well, your opponent has two choices: maneuver around and ignore or charge. It can really foul up their plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay I will update my list then...

+ Reply to Thread