1500 Wood Elves friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Wood Elves friendly

Noble - Light Armour, Great Weapon, The Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow
    Noble - Battle Standard Bearer, Light Armour, The Fimbulwinter Shard

Glade Guard x 10
    Glade Guard x 10
    Glade Riders x 5 - Musician
    Glade Riders x 5 - Musician
    Dryads x 8

Eternal Guard x 15 - Musician, Standard Bearer, Eternal
    Wardancer x 7 - Musician, Bladesinger
    Wild Riders x 5 - Musician, Standard Bearer, Hunter

Waywatchers x 5

I've played one game so far with this force, was against Orcs and unfortunately i must say i didn't do as well as i hoped i would. (Curse those Dice Gods)
    I'm just wondering if anyone out there can think of anythin to help impove this list, these are the basic tactics i thought up before hand. (Yes i know its risky having no spellsingers, but you'll see why in a bit)

Nobles - The BSB was used as support for the Eternal Guard (Re-roll stubborn as you should well know) and the general was supposed to be used as a character killer, as well as trying to weaken an enemy unit with HoDA.

Glade Guard - Were used to wittle the enemy forces for later units to charge. (Didn't do enough damage unfortunately :cry: )

Glade Riders - Were to be used to take down any troublesome units at the enemies rear. (Didn't do enough damage)

Dryads - Were to be used to take out weaker units as well as draw fire from archers.

Wild Riders & Wardancers - Were to be used to take down tougher opponents. (Did there job thankfully, taking out a chariot and a unit of about 20 Black Orcs i think, as well as a 16 strong archer unit positioned on a hill)

Eternal Guard - Were to be used to hold up larger enemy units. (Got wiped out by enemy general :cry: )

Waywatchers - Were to be used to take down any troublesome wizards to counter not taking a spellsinger myself, and thankfully did the job.

Well basically, my last unit standing was a unit of 3 Wardancers (with Musician & Bladesinger), the wardancers were realy the unit of the game as they took out a Chariot, made the Black Orc unit flee through my Wild Riders, and taking down a unit of Orc Archers.

I hope you can suggest ways of improving this force, and thanks in advance for any help and advice given.

"May Your Arrows Fly Straight And True To Your Foe"

Mutated by the Warp, we are outcasts, yet Space Marines we remain. We shall destroy our enemies, and we shall do so from the shadows where none shall see us coming. - Drizkan Incarus of the Shadow Dragons

Shadow Dragons Fluff
    Shadow Dragons Homeworld
    Siege of Draconis Prime

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I mostly like the list and think it's one that can win. Myself, I'd drop one unit of GRs for more dryads. If not that, I'd drop the GR for more GG. 30 archers at that level can accomplish a lot.

How about deploying the GG back, if you didn't already. This can buy some time with shooting. You could almost play it like a shooting line army, where your EG and GG sit back, letting the archers pick at the enemy. Or just move forward 5" a turn to make sure you get some short range shooting in.

I like the wardancers. Okay, I love the wardancers. I wouldn't change them, except to drop the champ if the points could do something else.

The wild riders are a great unit, too. People debate about how much of a command to give them, but I'm fine with a FC. Sometimes the banner can be iffy. Keeping it could mean giving away VPs, but losing it could mean not winning a combat.

I think you'd do well to add a flyer to the list. Eagles are cheap, cheap, and cheap. And effective, especially if he uses any frenzied troops.

One way to keep EG alive is to, well, I'm not sure at 1500 pts. I was skeptical about the rhymer's harp because of its cost, but at 2000 pts it's a great way of keeping them around. But yeah, a combat-heavy general will eat them for lunch.

Myself, I'd just drop them for more wardancers or a scroll caddy or branchwraith with cluster. Some armies will eat your lunch with magic.

An EG unit is a big bullseye that opponents who also rely on infantry units, which is most of them, will go straight for. I'd either strip them down to nothing--no characters, no upgrades--and let them be a throw away unit that is there to distract the enemy; or I'd make sure they had tons of support.

If you want them to be a holding unit with support, then I'd give them the war banner. Then I'd give the BSB an annoyance of netlings (that'll keep that orc general busy and away from your regular troopers) and maybe the sword of strength. Then I'd keep counter-chargers nearby: dryads, wild riders, war dancers something.

That gives two ranks, a regular standard, a battle standard, and the war banner for starting combat res. Plus any kills you get. That should hold up pretty well, especially if you remember to challenge with your noble. That annoyance will keep him alive most of the time.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; December 6th, 2006 at 03:13.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    I mostly like the list and think it's one that can win. Myself, I'd drop one unit of GRs for more dryads. If not that, I'd drop the GR for more GG. 30 archers at that level can accomplish a lot......

....Myself, I'd just drop them for more wardancers or a scroll caddy or branchwraith with cluster. Some armies will eat your lunch with magic....

....That gives two ranks, a regular standard, a battle standard, and the war banner for starting combat res. Plus any kills you get. That should hold up pretty well, especially if you remember to challenge with your noble. That annoyance will keep him alive most of the time.
    Cant agree with you more. I myself field 30 glade guard, and that can be pretty powerful, when they can move 5" on top of their good shooting. I also think that the list needs some more combaty units i.e. Dyrads because i find that glade riders arent as good as a solid unit of dryads. I field them in clusters of 8. You will be crushed alive if somebody has offensive spells. You need some sort of magic, because you are just giving them a good chance to hurt you, and you wont be able to fight back. Also, a tooled out unit of Eternal guard can be pretty nasty....i usually spit out 20 attacks each turn, and with extra ranks, Standard Bearers, and Outnumbering, you have already won the combat round. I would avoid units that dont break, because you can then get bogged down in combat.

Noble - Light Armour, Great Weapon, The Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow
    i field the same thing in my unit of eternal guards, and he has quite the killing power. I like the WayWatchers too, They packa nasty punch.

Overall, i think your Heros need some form of magic, and you need to get more dryads, but good list!
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments guys, i know that takin no waizards is a very risky strategy, especialy against magic heavy armies, but my main plan was to use the waywatchers and glade riders to take the wizards out quickly on my first turn.
    I think i'll replace one of the GR units, but would you recommend replacing it with GG or Dryads?
    Also i realy like my Wardancers, and wouldn't mind fielding a second unit of them, but what would you recommend for me to drop to put them in? Also same question but for a Spellsinger/Branchwraith?
    Mutated by the Warp, we are outcasts, yet Space Marines we remain. We shall destroy our enemies, and we shall do so from the shadows where none shall see us coming. - Drizkan Incarus of the Shadow Dragons

Shadow Dragons Fluff
    Shadow Dragons Homeworld
    Siege of Draconis Prime

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Some wizards are hard to kill. Vampires, Chaos sorcerers, for example. Others are just hard to get to or not on their own.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

is a Brother of Arterius Bleyden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Some players will put their wizards on horses or give them equipment to make them more mobile (cloak of feathers for lizardmen). This means that your wizard can escape the waywatchers and you will ahve to deal with magic all game. Alternatively the player can set it up so the wizard is on the side furthest away from your waywatchers, maybe with some light units inbetween (as a guard) this means your WE would have to deal with uncontested magic for 2-3 turns as your waywatchers make their way across.

I say just have 1 level 1 wizard with a couple of scrolls, they dont cost that much and will protect you against magic. Then your waywatchers can still go wiz hunting but can also kill warmachine crew and the like along the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Or they could just stick the wizard in a unit. Lets see a unit of waywatchers attack some swordmasters....or even a wizard with a magic missle...if they have 1 turn before you, you almost guaranteed wont have any waywatchers left. I would go with dryads for the extra unit, and then i would go with a Branchnymph an dsome cluster of radieants. Keep the wardancers, they are one of the most tactically sound units in the wood elf list. Scrap the gladeRiders or some of the wildriders f you need the points....
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

+ Reply to Thread