2000pts Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

2000pts Tournament

So I have a tournament on Tuesday. Assuming I paint up my dude with great weapon in time this is what I'll be using.

1996 pts

Power dice 6
    Dispel dice 4

HighBorn
    Great Weapon
    Bow of Loren
    Arcane Bodkins
    Annoyance of Netlings

Spellsinger lvl 2
    2x Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger lvl 2
    Glamourweave
    Unicorn
    Hail of Doom Arrow

Glade Guard

Musician
    Standard bearer

Glade Riders

Musician
    Standard bearer

Dryads

Eternal Guard

Musician
    Standard bearer
    Champion
    War Banner

Wardancers

Treekin

Waywatchers

Shooting is fun so I'm going with BoL/Bodkins over the Harp.

About the GG with standard, I find if you have a little faith they can do wonders. I've had my archers repel Minotaurs and all kinds of other things. Enemy units that are designed to take out archers tend to be weak enough to repel. rank, high ground, outnumber and standard is a static +4 CR so you need to score 5 wounds to win. It isn't designed to withstand core fighting units.

The mage on unicorn rides with the Treekin. I'd like to get a champion in that unit but I'm not sure how to work the points. I think I might have to sacrifice something in order to get the champion.

I'd also like to get a Ranu's Heartstone and I'd love to have the points for my eagle b/c I love the model but I don't think thats happening.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I like the make up of your list. HoD is IMO better spent on a Noble, much better chance of hitting and being more effective. Also, your scroll caddie, is there a reason for it being level 2? An extra magic punch? If it is only a caddie there is no reason to upgrade her. 6 power dice are not very many anyway. I'm assuming that the highborn is going with the EG, always a good combo subborn on 9 with warbanner. This unit should be nice. A BSB would also help EG.

I would however take the banner out of the Glade Riders. That may just be giving the enemy a chance at an extra 100 VPs. Also, if they charge the enemy, then it should be with another unit (EG or something) so you should already have a banner in the mix. Then again since only or EG have a banner then maybe your strategy would entail having the riders keep a banner.

6 sounds like a good size for waywatchers. They die easily but chances are you will get 1 killing blow per turn (if in close range). If you need points you can always drop these guys down to scouts.

Hope this helps.
    Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't think its worth taking a noble just for the HoDA. The mage will hit on 3s which is the difference of 1.2 wounds against T3 and no armour, and the difference becomes smaller the tougher the models are. The only major difference is that I can't target skirmishers and cannons hidden in corners. The mage can move 10" in a turn and still fire which should bring him into close range.

6 power dice should get 1 spell off a turn, or eat 1 dispel scroll a turn at any rate. Few armies will be able to match that in dispel dice. I do see your point though. 4 Dispel dice is also not an ideal number. 3 or 5 would be better. I could drop a mage and the HoDA and fit in more archers. There is an issue of models atm though.

A BSB will be my next purchase for sure. I never bothered to get one before, that way I can have a caddie for the HoDA and both characters would need to be killed to get rid of stubborn. Then again I would be lacking in magic protection.

I could knock the riders down to 5 w/o standard and take the GG down to 10, maybe drop the standard too. (Though I like standards on the battlefield...so I don't really want to)

Then I could afford a great eagle and ranu's heartstone or a champion for the treekin.

How important do you think each of those things are?

I think the champion for the treekin might be important b/c my mage is in the unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DotR View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't think its worth taking a noble just for the HoDA. The mage will hit on 3s which is the difference of 1.2 wounds against T3 and no armour, and the difference becomes smaller the tougher the models are. The only major difference is that I can't target skirmishers and cannons hidden in corners. The mage can move 10" in a turn and still fire which should bring him into close range.

I am pretty sure that no model can march and shoot in the same turn. So your mage could only move 5 inches and still shoot.

6 power dice should get 1 spell off a turn, or eat 1 dispel scroll a turn at any rate. Few armies will be able to match that in dispel dice. I do see your point though. 4 Dispel dice is also not an ideal number. 3 or 5 would be better. I could drop a mage and the HoDA and fit in more archers. There is an issue of models atm though.

A BSB will be my next purchase for sure. I never bothered to get one before, that way I can have a caddie for the HoDA and both characters would need to be killed to get rid of stubborn. Then again I would be lacking in magic protection.

This is a toughie, saying if one scroll caddie is enough defence. I'm not sure, I've not played enough games to know. However, you can take 4 characters in 2k games so if you wanted you could always run 4 instead of 3. Also, if you decide to run a BSB, you could change your highborn up to fill another part. I'm just saying this because having 2 characters in the unit makes it a pretty expensive unit. (But there are many things you can do with this i.e. alter kindred or you can leave him in that unit as you have...just make sure the artillery can't track on!)

I could knock the riders down to 5 w/o standard and take the GG down to 10, maybe drop the standard too. (Though I like standards on the battlefield...so I don't really want to)

I think that the GG standard is a good idea. If you get them on a hill they can hold their own for a bit. :w00t:

Then I could afford a great eagle and ranu's heartstone or a champion for the treekin.

A great eagle would be nice to increase the speed of your army. He could get behind enemy lines and have some fun...using him for march blocking wouldn't be as usefull due to the lack of shooting in your army though. I'm not sure about the upgrade to a champ, I hope one of the mods can help you out with some of that, me=not enough expirence. :cry: Because if your mage refuses a challenge then since she is still in the "back rank" does she say where she is? Basically not like anything happened?

How important do you think each of those things are?

I think the champion for the treekin might be important b/c my mage is in the unit.
    Anyway I have to go, post any other ideas or whatever and I'll (and hopefully others) will check it out and give opinions. Later!
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I am pretty sure that no model can march and shoot in the same turn. So your mage could only move 5 inches and still shoot.
    A unicorn has a M10 so it wouldn't be marching.

Because if your mage refuses a challenge then since she is still in the "back rank" does she say where she is? Basically not like anything happened?
    If I don't have a champion then my mage will have to accept the challenge b/c there is no back rank. The champion could accept or issue his own challenge if I had one. I think it might be a must have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Oops I forgot she was mounted. Sorry. And if those are the rules about the challenge then, yes I would have to say that you probably should have a champ. Unless you are planning to remove her from the unit before entering combat.
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The tournament was postponed to Saturday which let me get some games in.

Its going to be single elimination so I want to have something that can stand up to different armies. My original set up just isn't going to cut it.

I've narrowed the character selection down to these

Power dice 6
    Dispel dice 4

Spellweaver lvl 4
    4x Dispel Scroll

Noble
    HoDA
    Helm of the Hunt

504 pts

or

Power dice 6
    Dispel dice 4

HighBorn
    Great Weapon
    Rhymer's Harp
    Annoyance of Netlings

Spellsinger lvl 2
    2x Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger lvl 2
    Glamourweave
    Unicorn
    2x Dispel Scroll

681 pts

The top list is much more economical while the bottom list allows me to have a rock solid unit of eternal guard. (at the cost of an extra 180 points)
    Last edited by DotR; May 23rd, 2007 at 14:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Well what you choose would be more of personal preference. I personally love Eternal Guard, so I would try to get them in. Alter nobles can be really nice though. If you go with the bottom list, I would suggest dropping one or both of the Spellsingers down to level 1 to save the points. They are basically scroll caddies, no? And you wont be able to do too much with 6 power dice against many armies in a tournament IMO. So this would be mainly magic defence.
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Thanks for your help.

I have to take eternal guard. I've just gotten back into the game and I've ordered 1 batallion and will probably get another but for now I don't have too many points otherwise. Give me a month or two and I should have my old models converted and have a bunch of new ones.

I hate having to use up so many points just for scroll caddies but what can you do I guess. If they were level 2 I could force my opponent to use up 1 scroll a turn. Just use 3 dice for each spell, most armies won't have 6 or more dispel dice. However is it worth the 70pts just to make his scrolls worthwhile? After the 3rd or 4th turn I could see getting some spells off.

I'm still learning the nuances of 7th ed. It turns out I can put the unicorn in my dryad unit and it will be safe from harm. I think I'll go ahead and do that, a surprise 20" charge could be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont you think 4 dispel scrolls is a bit too much as i mostly have about 2 and thats enough those 50 points you will save then could be used a lot better

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast