whats a wood elf's motivation? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats a wood elf's motivation?

Hi all,

Im a 40k player looking to get into fantasy and im almost settled on wood elves. The only problem is the background. Is there any reason that wood elves would leave athel loren to fight? Is seems (from the 10 year old army book i've gotten hold off) that they only fight to defend it and leave the world alone for the most part. The tactics and the model seem pretty fun but i can imagine that plot hook getting tired easily.

Thanks for your input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

There is a small amount of fluff in the book saying that Ariel has been sending parties of Wood Elves out into the wider world to hunt beastmen, based upon a vision of the death of Athel Loren - this, of course, being another manifestation of their continuing struggle with Cyanathair.

Seems reason enough to me for Wood Elves to be elsewhere than Athel Loren. Any other battle can be a result of conflicts arising from complications created by misunderstanding of blah, blah, blah.

The Wood Elves are basically out in the world hunting down a specific group of beings that they feel threaten their home. If memory serves, there's a list in the back of the Daemonhunters book of "Why would DH fight X?". You could twist it about and apply the same logic to WE, if you wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Yeah, its true that most of te time they dont leave the forest, but there are cases saying that they leave if it somehow benifets the forest, be it helping bretonians fight, or preempitvely stiking dwarves in a vulnerable position. Im sure that you could justify a hunting party kinda deal, unless you play against a lot of lizardmne, but then i would just say that they are just stranded high elves or something. They are a good choice though, sneaky tactics reign supreme with these guys.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Well just about everyone in warhammer wants to destroy Athel Loren so there is no shortage of reasons to fight. The only race that doesn't are the Brets and thats only b/c they've learned their lesson.

Nowadays the wood elves are becoming retroactive. They're sending out parties to destroy powerful evil beings and the like before they can amass power/armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replies!

I like the idea of proactive force taking the battle to the enemy before they reach athel loren (kind of like ulthwe eldar now i think about it). Ok so in actual army selection i was thinking of including most of the units apart from treekin and treemen, as they arent very mobile and would stick out like a sore thumb outside the forest. Are these units vital to a WE army's success? Themeing an army is good but not an expense of a big handicap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I think a Treeman is a must have in any Wood Elves army. They are a hard hitting unit and have a more then half way decent chance at taking out higher toughness models. Just some food for thought!
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I have been playing sans treeman for the last few months and honestly don't miss it.

With the fluff, just remember that old Wood Elf adage; ' Attack is the best form of Defence!'
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone ever played the old WFRP suppliment Empire in Flames? In that there's a Wood Elf colony living beyond Blackfire Pass in the mountains near some knackered Dwarf stronghold. It is a remanent of the old Elven kingdom that ruled the area tens of thousands of years ago.

If I could only remember REAL history instead of this bollocks.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Think"CrazyHorse" View Post
    Has anyone ever played the old WFRP suppliment Empire in Flames? In that there's a Wood Elf colony living beyond Blackfire Pass in the mountains near some knackered Dwarf stronghold. It is a remanent of the old Elven kingdom that ruled the area tens of thousands of years ago.

If I could only remember REAL history instead of this bollocks.....
    Thats wierd, yet strangely even more wierd.

The only reason i would think that wood elves leave there homeland is to fight someone thats GOING to invade there homeland.

Maybe a giant army, with flaming arrows and catapults, so they decided to take the battle to them to minimize forest damage.
    Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gravity1337 View Post
    Thats wierd, yet strangely even more wierd.

The only reason i would think that wood elves leave there homeland is to fight someone thats GOING to invade there homeland.

Maybe a giant army, with flaming arrows and catapults, so they decided to take the battle to them to minimize forest damage.
    Well, the expression "Pre-emptive strike" comes to mind. Seems to work for some politicians around the world.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast