No idea about characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

No idea about characters

This was originally going to be posted in the Army List forum, but as I added more and more questions it became more of a discussion thread, hence why I put it here. Mods, feel free to move it if I got it wrong.

Okay, so, having finally grabbed the army book, I've tried to throw together a concept list for 2000 points. It looks roughly (I'm at work without my books) like this:

10 Glade Guard
    10 Glade Guard
    8 Dryads
    8 Dryads
    5 Glade Riders with musician

8 Wardancers with musician
    5 Wild Riders with musician
    3 Treekin

1 Treeman
    5 Waywatchers

Now this concept list is quite vague, as the idea is really just to see what I can manage to fit in. I know some people will tell me to put musicians in the glade guard, or a banner with the Wild Riders, etc etc. But what I'm really interested in is the characters. Given that this is roughly the list I'd go with, and that it comes out to roughly 1450 points so far, I need some help with characters, because I don't have a clue...

1. First, is 550 points on characters too much, not enough, or just right for 2000 points in a WE army? It feels like a LOT of points to me to be spending on characters, but I've been told it's just going to be like that for WE.

2. Is a Highborn essential? Useful? Worth its points? They seem very expensive, and it seems like the biggest reason to take them would just be the increased magic item allowance (being new to Fantasy, is that the main reason for taking ANY Lord character over a Hero?)

3. In a list like mine, where does one put characters? There are no big blocks to protect them. I was thinking maybe a Noble in the Wild Riders to add some punch, but then what else?

4. How much does a WE army rely on its general for Leadership? It seems to me that they'd be quite spread across the board, and thus wouldn't benefit much from a high-Leadership general...

5. Obviously I'll need some magic defense. I was thinking mainly just a scroll caddy. I can't see myself getting many spells off without spending a lot on wizards.

6. Come to think of it, how many characters do you put in a 2k list for WE? I made an Empire list and managed to squeeze 4 characters into about the number of points that I've got for characters here. That seems impossible for WE.

Those are some of my thoughts, but also please feel quite free to add any other comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

1. First, is 550 points on characters too much, not enough, or just right for 2000 points in a WE army? It feels like a LOT of points to me to be spending on characters, but I've been told it's just going to be like that for WE.
    At 2,000 pts I'll usually drop 400-500 points on characters, so 550 isn't too much of a stretch for me. Our characters are pretty expensive.

2. Is a Highborn essential? Useful? Worth its points? They seem very expensive, and it seems like the biggest reason to take them would just be the increased magic item allowance (being new to Fantasy, is that the main reason for taking ANY Lord character over a Hero?)
    Essential? No. The main reason to take him is the increased magic item limit, but that is by far not the only reason. For the most part (and especially at 2000 pts), a Noble works just as well.

3. In a list like mine, where does one put characters? There are no big blocks to protect them. I was thinking maybe a Noble in the Wild Riders to add some punch, but then what else?
    I would take a wardancer character (with or without moonstone - your call) because he can turn a unit of wardancers into even more of a killing machine. Aside from that, I'd be tempted to take a branchwraith with your dryads, and maybe an alter kin out on his lonesome. Depends on what I'm up against. If I'm facing a lot of magic, I'll go Noble (kitted out with whichever unit is key to my strategy), lv1 Branchwraith w/ CoR, and a scroll caddy.

4. How much does a WE army rely on its general for Leadership? It seems to me that they'd be quite spread across the board, and thus wouldn't benefit much from a high-Leadership general...
    Not as much as most other armies, to be sure. With reasonably-high LD across the board, it isn't nearly as necessary for most WE units to stick close to the general (though it never hurts). As you said, with the WE focus on mobility, it isn't very realistic to keep the general in arm's reach.

5. Obviously I'll need some magic defense. I was thinking mainly just a scroll caddy. I can't see myself getting many spells off without spending a lot on wizards.
    Scroll caddies are fine and good, but don't overlook the branchwraith with a cluster of radiants. With the right upgrades, the BW can supply you with 2 dispel dice, and be a good deal more survivable than a spellsinger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentTempest View Post

As a general rule of thumb I tend to take 1 character less than my max allowed. So for a 2000pt game I take 3 characters max. This generally helps keep the costs down and focuses my attention on the characters to persofrm.

No a Highborn is by no means essential. In fact I personally think that a Highborn at 2000pts is too large an investment. The main reason most people take it is so that they can get magic items that are 50+ pts. Like the Rhymers Harp as an example.

Well, it depends on the characters. For 2000pts I tend to take, an Alter Noble and Branchwraith/Spellsinger. Sometimes I take a third character but not that often. Branchwraiths go with a dryad unit and the Alter is on his own. If you have another character don't be afraid to put them in small units. My spellsinger attaches to my glade guard all the time. When one unit is getting whittled down I just move her.

As Cyric said, not that much. A lot of our troops are immune to psycology or have decent leadership (better than characters from some other armies)

I generally just take a branchwraith but sometimes I take a spellsinger with a dispel scroll and starfire arrows as well. It really depends on how much magic you think you will face.

6. Come to think of it, how many characters do you put in a 2k list for WE? I made an Empire list and managed to squeeze 4 characters into about the number of points that I've got for characters here. That seems impossible for WE.

I never take more than 3 and usually only have 2.

Those are some of my thoughts, but also please feel quite free to add any other comments.
    Characters are a very personal choice but with the Wood Elves make sure your character has a role. Alter nobles are very efficient killers, Wardancers nobles make their unit even better. Of note there, a non wardancer noble can join a wardancer unit so you can sneak in a greatweapon with the wardancers and can be a surpirse.

I tend not to see many Magic heavy lists with the WE as it is a very expensive affair. A spellsinger costs about 30 pts more than an empire wizard and has less flexibility in what it can take.

Wildrider nobles are very good because their attacks count as magical, Oaken armour really makes them fairly survivable. A lot of people also recommed the dawn spear as it means that any close combat attacks at the unit suffer a -1 penalty to hit.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I don't think 550 is to much at all. The total cost of my characters is usually 587 points, it may be more or less depending on what type of mood I'm in. I generally spend 272 pts on my Alter Highborn and 315 pts on magic/magic defense.

Essential? No. Useful? Yes. Worth its points? I believe so. They are very expensive but if used properly they will bring a world of hurt down on your opponent. Wood Elf characters are expensive but I think they make their points in the long run. I'll give you some examples from the game I played last night.

Alter Highborn w/ Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Helm of the Hunt, Light Armor, Shield and Great Weapon. This angry little elf ran around killing everything he looked at: (5) 1+Sv Chosen Knights of Khorne (I rolled extremely well on this one), (4) 3+Sv Chosen Warriors of Khorne (that was to shooting)...(3) Carrions, (7) Marauders, and (10-12) Tomb Guard (this is where he got killed but it took my opponent 2 rounds to do it, we were playing a team game that's why the units are different) that was in combat...the combat numbers are just estimates and he was suppoted by 8 Dryads but I know he killed anywhere between 25 and 30 guys by himself! He was 272 pts and as you can see he more then paid for himself.

Wardancer Noble (110 pts I believe, don't have army book with me) running around with a full command of 7 Wardancers killed a unit of chariots on the charge in one round of combat...now for the good stuff. I got to charge a Khorne Lord mounted on a Chaos Dragon in the rear how it presented itself I have no clue but I took the opportunitu. He issued a challenge and I accepted with the Wardancer Noble. I did the Killing Blow dance (playing The Heretic Anthem by Slipknot on my IPOD..got the advice from Cyric the Mad) and managed to get 2 Killing Blow wounds on his Lord he failed his Ward Save and died like a little..well I can't say. The Dragon ate her after that but she did her job.

I spent quite a bit on characters last night (697 I think yeah I know it's high but that's the type of mood I was in) b/c I had 4 but as you can see WE characters are more then capable of taking out unit(s), nobles, and lords and they more then make up their points.

I would use a Wardancer Noble with or without a Moonstone of the Hidden Ways. It's up to you whether you do it or not but if you equip her with that then you have a deadly unit turned TELEPORTING PSYCHO DEADLY. I've never ran a Wild Rider Noble so I couldn't give you any advice there but I've been thinking about it lately.

Not as much as other armies or one would think. Wood Elves have a minimum leadership of 8 so it's pretty high. It never really helps me out anyway b/c I usually take a Alter Highborn so I have to take a leadership 8 character anyway for my general. If you wanted to run a general with a leadership of 10 it wouldn't hurt but I don't think you're going to be in to much of a pickle if you just go with a noble as your general.

A Lv1 scroll caddy is something that you need as well as a Lv1 Branchwraith w/ Cluster of Radiants. This will give you 5 Dispel Dice and 4 Power Dice. One should always take a Lv1 Branchwraith w/ Cluster of Radiants and put her in a unit of Dryads. She can hold her own in combat if supported and those 2 extra Dispel Dice are a must.

I would think 3 as a minimum. Lord, Lv2 or Lv1 Spellsinger scroll caddy, and a Lv1 Branchwraith w/ Cluster of Radiants. If you're in the mood and want to squeeze another noble in there go ahead.

You're asking some good questions! Keep em coming!

Cyric this is for you!
    PLAYLIST for Shadow Dances of Loec: This is what I have so far
    Killing Blow - Heretic Anthem by Slipknot
    Extra Attack - 96 Quite Bitter Beings by CKY
    Always Strike First - Schism by Tool
    4+ Ward Save - Tubthumpin by Chumbawumba (I get knocked down but I get up again you're never gonna keep me down)

And I'm having trouble with the theme song for my Alter Noble it's a mixup between The Beverly Hills Cop theme song or Whitesnake-Here I go Again...I need some help with this one guys!
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread