when do you have too many glade guard... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

when do you have too many glade guard...

After a good bit of thinking Iíve settled on playing a pure elf force for my first few games and I reckon I have the models and shrewd mind to pull it off. So I went about making army lists and I have noticed that I was adding horrendous amounts of glade guard with 2 of my lists featuring 50-60 of them.

The question I put forwards is how many glade guard is too many glade guard? Bear in mind that Iím playing a pure elf force (for kicks of course) and Iím playing at the 2500 mark. Iíve also got a unit of eternal guard and a unit of glade riders for core at this points level.

Tactically I was looking to envelop the enemy with my archers while my combat units Harry the edges. As the foe advances the archers withdraw swinging outwards as they do so hopefully opening a hole in the enemy battle line (splitting their army into smaller bits) or turning the flank putting my troops behind them. a large number of archers might achieve this as they can pull back with relative ease shooting as they go but Iím uncertain.

Any ideas?

:C

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

What limits you set are determined by your own taste. The thing to consider with 50+ Glade Guard is that deployment will be your major issue. Trying to craw them into your deployment zone and use them effectively will be quite a challenge.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I once used 4 blocks of 10 against Empire and it worked splendidly. Anymore than that, though, and I think you may be pushing it a bit. But give it a try and see what happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I've played a list with 50-60, depending on the guys mood that day. It was a tough list to fight, but he also used two treemen.

Even if you killed 20 or 30 of the buggers, there were still plenty more shooting at you. I'm up to 40 painted and will try them ouyt for a few games.

The biggest problem comes with deployment.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Deployment alone is what stops me from getting more than 30 of them. It could be me, but I seem to almost never have any hills in my deployment zone, so I always have to run my GG in a single rank of 10. More than 3 units usually sees at least 1 unit unable to shoot in the first round.

Mass amounts of GG can be a pain for your opponent, without a doubt, but don't forget that maneuverability, more than missile fire, wins games for Wood Elves - limiting your ability to deploy correctly in the name of a few extra arrows will likely end up hurting you in the end.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyric the Mad View Post
    Deployment alone is what stops me from getting more than 30 of them. It could be me, but I seem to almost never have any hills in my deployment zone, so I always have to run my GG in a single rank of 10. More than 3 units usually sees at least 1 unit unable to shoot in the first round.

Mass amounts of GG can be a pain for your opponent, without a doubt, but don't forget that maneuverability, more than missile fire, wins games for Wood Elves - limiting your ability to deploy correctly in the name of a few extra arrows will likely end up hurting you in the end.
    It's not just you mate. That is why my glade guard count tops out at 30.

I just find getting LOS with more units (as a Wood Elf player I have gotten used to tables with no hills in any of the deployment zones or trees on the table) problematic at best. It will be one of those things that depends on how much terrain you guys use and how it is set up.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

you could always substitute some G.G. for scouts if youre having problems with deploying/maouevering that would help keep with the pure elf force theme youre going for and still keep the annoyingness factor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

The trick is to have hills if you want to field more. All it takes is one little hill, and you can then rank them up 5x2, and still get 10 shots... Hills also let you field multiple units, because they can be so compact. I max out at around 30, because after a while, they become too unwieldly to move around, or sometimes they cant always shoot right away, as some have mentioned. I would field more... i love the shooting phase, but they dont really work out on the tables i play. If you play on HUGE tables, then im all for the big units of glade guard.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Everyone has added some good advice. I say that 50-60 is pushing the box a good bit. Not only will deploying them be hard but it will be hard to move that many GG to the sides for your tactic. Though it does seem to be a viable tactic with less units of GG. Also, in my expirence, you don't get too many hills to deploy archers everywhere and in 2 ranks...making it even harder trying to string out 10 men in a line for LoS. I hate to see so many guys not be able to shoot. I would say to max out at 4 units or less, unless you get a longer/wider board than the standards.

(To the WE community, hey guys it has been too long. I've been up to my ears with moving back into my dorm and trying to hang out with friends etc.) :party:
    Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

+ Reply to Thread