What makes you cringe? (Hambey gets Hammered) <-- oh very funny Dave ;) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

What makes you cringe? (Hambey gets Hammered) <-- oh very funny Dave ;)

Hi,

I played against a wood elves list (2k) today and lost quite badly. The list had both a treeman and a forest dragon. I managed to kill the treeman and the highborn riding the dragon, then I got a charge off on the dragon with a unit of TG. I thought that 9 s5 attacks could maybe do a wound, and if the dragon did about 3 back then I could possibly break it with my static CR. Naturally I failed to wound and the dragon got all 5 wounds.

I think I had a good bash but even if I had killed the dragon I still had to face a unit of 14 wardancers, a unit of 14 dryads, a unit of 9 waywatchers with noble and two units of glade guard with essentially only a unit of TG.

I don't think I made very good spell choices. Unseen lurker was my best spell, my others were rule of burning iron, steed of shadows, fireball and distillation of molten silver. I think maybe I should've taken more spells on the lore of fire?

I only use all comer lists so I don't really want to know what I should take differently but I was wondering what spells from the eight lores of magic really make life tough for you as a wood elf player?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Direct Damage Spells. Us Woodies have small, expensive and fragile units. Believe me, it is not difficult to do some serious damage to the bulk of our units. Thus, the Lore of Fire becomes very handy indeed.

Otherwise, the concept of being charged isn't a nice one. it means we're fighting one-on-one and don't strike first. Never a good thing.

What army are you using?

TG= Tomb Guard???

-AFG

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Haha, no sorry. I'm using lizardmen avec une grenouille.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

Sorry, I don't understand those last 3 words (the only second languages I know are a few words in Maori and even less in German).

Based on that...
    Take Skinks with Blowpipes. As of now I'm terrified that of Tankmaster's new Skinks. Armour is of little use for us, so those Poisoned Attacks go very far.

A JSoD (Jaguar Saurus of Death) is actually rather nasty. My Waywatcher Noble and TM's JSoD have established a grudge match status, whenever I deploy my Noble behind his Saurus, his character pops out and we have this game of cat-and-mouse using the Saurus unit and forests. Why it's applicable to you is that it has a great charge range and does laods of damage on the charge. Just watch out for Wardancers. They just don't die.

Another tung you may want to try is a load of Salamanders. Apparently they're pure cheese (I've never grasped why), and ArtilleryD6 of S3 shots that automatically hit isn't very nice. But I've seen a unit of Dryads with a Branchwraith take out a Salamander and it's crew in one combat phase. Just a heads up.

Cold Ones present no threat to me. I simply outmaneuver them with my Glade Riders, rendering them pretty much useless for most of the game.

-AFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

if i were facing WE with lizardmen ( i already thought TG = temple guard and only a slann can choose spells from different lores), i'd take all the magic missiles i could. the forest spirit ward save goes *poof*, and most other units don't have an armor save or nearly none (5+ AS is considered good with WE), and the 6+ ward save of wardancers won't save them too often either.
    my choices would be:
    fireball
    fiery blast
    burning gaze
    dark hand of death
    and if taking the plaque of dominion maybe add steed of shadows

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I think you just suffered from bad luck Hambey.

The Dragon and two treemen pretty much chew up 1100 - 1200 pts. Some skinks with blowpipes and more magic missile type spells would have made a big difference to the game.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Hambey gets Hammered? Very funny indeed!

Sorry can't help yeah, as a WEs player I have problem with Lizardmen anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Lizardmen arent that bad...the worst i would have to say are blowpipes on skinks, and then pretty much the magic phase... I have been ravaged by both before, and it makes it hard to play a solid game, with those two things... On average though i do fairly well now against lizardmen, now that i know all their little tricks.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

I must confess that I have now been on the receiving end of being outmaneuvered. Tankmaster's Skinks are a very annoying addition to his army. That said, I have worked out how to counter this.

I knew that my troops would be able to beat his Skinks in combat easily. Knowing that, I opted to simply advance across ASAP, splitting his units. The Spearmen charged the unit with Blowpipes (and won) and the Militia charged the Javelin-wielding maniacs (who promptly fled off the board).

The trick is to limit their escape routes. If they have nowhere to flee, where's the benefit in doing it? Believe me, Lizardmen WILL beat Wood Elves in one-on-one, presuming they get the charge and you're not attacking a Treeman. Another thing to do is keep your army together. Don't split them up, ever. If you think you can chase a vulnerable unit, be careful, it's probably booby-trapped, and the "vulnerable" unit will just run off and rejoin it's friends.

-AFG

+ Reply to Thread