Um, Hi - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Um, Hi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, Hi

Hi all,

I am very new and by very new i mean i have bought "the big red rule book" and the wood elves codex read through them both and now I am looking to make an army and i would like any help i can get in making that army. I am so new I haven't even bought any of the wood elves peices yet and i haven't even played my first real game yet. I am the full meaning of the word noobie lol. I have tried writing some of the armies down on paper but i always mess it up wither i don't meet requirements or go way over points can anyone help meh.

Remind

PS thanks in advance for any help lent.;Y

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Hi and Welcome.

A great place to start with models is the Battalion Box set. If gives you a solid amount of Core choices that you can build up from as you play.

I would recommend starting with smaller games till you find your feet. Also, check out what other Wood Elf players in your community are doing.

The army list section has a lot of diverse army lists for all different occaisions so have a browse and see what the guys have got. Also, have a read through the WIP Tactica, it has got a lot of useful information on playing Wood Elves. Link below.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=97696l (Librarium Online Wood Elf Tactica (WiP))

Once again welcome and enjoy your stay.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah just remembered i wanted to ask when is it ok to use a special char. like the sisters of twilight in an army cause i see that a lot of people prefer highborns and TMA for there lord choices.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Special characters are problematic as they require your opponents permission and generally aren't allowed at tournaments.

I own the Drycha model but have only ever used her as a Branchwraith.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

MAN! that's like throwing a ball of clay at someone and saying 'make me a masterpeice!'

First: hang around here, read as many tacticas and articles as you can. That way, you can find out what units and armies work, and which don't. From there, you can decide on what style of army you want to play. Make a list, and post it here for some critique. Beleive me, these guys are helpful people 'round here. If you can, get to the shop and borrow somebody elses models and try a few games. It might be kinda hard to get someone to trust you with their finely painted figs, but it's worth a try.

Second: buy some models. You might have to do this BEFORE you test your list out. But hey, you can go ahead and atleast wrap your hands around a brush (yeah, might have to buy one of those and some paint too. think about your color scheme)

Last: go out and get knee deep in fights. Trial by fire is the only way to find out if your tactics are going to work, and your real chance to 'fine-tune' your selections.

kay, hope you enjoy your stay in Athel Loren- and good luck with that lump of clay.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    Special characters are problematic as they require your opponents permission and generally aren't allowed at tournaments.

I own the Drycha model but have only ever used her as a Branchwraith.
    actually, the ones that are in the army book are legal; they don't require your opponent's permission and can be used in GTs ;Y

the battalion box is a very good start. all you need is an extra box of dryads, and you've got almost all your core choices covered until around 2000pts - at least, that's how i see it.
    some tips on favored unit sizes;
    glade guard: 10, with musician if you've got points left over

dryads : 8, only use a champion if you're fielding a branchwraith in that unit

glade riders: 5, with musician

eternal guard: 20+ with full command

wardancers: 7-8, command is personal preference - i mostly take a champion and musician, but some people take no command at all

wild riders: 6, with musician, and standard. warbanner is great on these if you've got the points, and so is a champion.

warhawk riders: 3-4

treekin: 3-4, an elder is not worth the points

waywatchers: 6, no command

these are good starting points when starting to build a list

and here's some hero builds you can use:

branchwraith
    level 1
    cluster of radiants

a good magic defence, and can be the general in games below 2000 pts if you use the next character

noble
    alter kindred
    great weapon
    light armor
    shield
    hail of doom arrow
    Helm of the hunt

can't be the general, but is very useful in a lot of situations

noble
    elven steed
    spear
    light armor
    shield
    hail of doom arrow
    Helm of the hunt

a good fast general in lower points games: goes great with glade riders

noble
    wardancer kindred
    blades of loec

a good general, or useful hero

and some lord builds:
    treeman ancient
    cluster of radiants
    annoyance of netlings

gets you +1 dispel dice, and is hard as nails in combat

highborn
    wardancer kindred
    blades of loec
    amaranthine brooch
    annoyance of netlings

this one will kill a lot :rofl

all these builds are ,in my experience, very good, but you don't really want to max out your character choices with wood elves. 2 up to 2000 pts works for me, and from 2000pts on, i mostly use 3
    Last edited by Cyric the Mad; October 22nd, 2007 at 05:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys working on getting a battalion box and i will get a lord with great weapon model more than likely still short on finding places to play but i am looking around. Thanks for the advice on the 2000 point army though i think i will take the previous advice and stick with smaller games until i get my feet planted. As far as a color scheme i am thinking if i go seasonal i am going to do a winter theme if not i am going to go outside the box a lil bit black midnight blue mix for a stealthy attack at night look. Trees in that army would end up being darker brown or brunt wood look. believe me i have had plenty of time to think about it i can't wait till i get finally jump in head first. I have read all the tactia you guys have posted here and the army idea i came up with i am going to need to replace the calvary in the battalion box because i am going to work a stratgey of eternal guard middle GG and dryads on the flank slow them getting to EG than have the skirmishers finish em from the flanks and have the skirmishers there to block if they go after the GG and i would perferably keep those all on the woods edge on the flank. and if you come up with more ideas please keep kicking them at me they are all very helpful and very appreicated thanks again.

Oh and can someone clear this up about the chars. when can and can't i use them and when is you know a good time to use them ( talking about rules wise, and than when is it a good idea to have one in an army if ever) I dunno i really like the sisters of the twilight model and i would really like to use them in an army if i could cause they seem really cool but with the dragon and them too they cost almost 600 points ::gasp:: so if anyone could give me the info on this that would be cool. thanks again

Remind
    Last edited by Cyric the Mad; October 22nd, 2007 at 05:57.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I never really use the book characters. However, just like any model, you don't want to put a high-points model into a low points army. If those twins are going to take up a good 3rd of the army, i'd leave them at home.
    Trouble is, GW makes a character with fluff, and a special tactic in mind. Everything has to line up perfectly for that character to be worth their full potential. Not something that happens often with a high points character. Better to just have a bunch of smaller generic Lords and Heroes.

As for the battallion box- if you're going to get rid of the cavalry in your army, save the money and buy the boxes seperately, unless you know that you are going to be able to profit off of the cavalry by selling or trading them.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh i figure i will profit by having them anyway i working on making a 1000 point army off the battalion box right now i will just suck it up and get them anyway. They will serve a multipurpose too in case i decide to do any tweaking later on that needs them so i figure i will get them and keep em around.

Remind

+ Reply to Thread