First HE VS WE Battle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

First HE VS WE Battle

Hi All,

Had my very first game against the new HE and wont do a full blown battle report but just give you some of my observations.

My list:

Highborn (272)
    Alter Kin, GW, LA, Shield, Helm of the Hunt, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins

Noble (130)
    Eternal Kin, Merciw’s Locus, Hail of Doom Arrows

Noble (130)
    Eternal Kin, Amber Pendent, Gwytherc’s Horn

Spellsinger (140)
    Two Dispel Srcolls

Core
    10 Glade Guard, Musician (126)
    10 Glade Guard, Musician (126)
    10 Eternal Guard, Musician (126)
    5 Glade Riders, Musician (129)
    25 Eternal Guard, Full Command, Warbanner (355)

Special

7 Wardancers, Musician (133)
    7 Wardancers, Musician (133)
    3 Warhawk Riders
    5 Wildriders, Standard Bearer (14

Rare

5 Waywatchers
    Great Eagle

His List:

Mage Lvl 2
    Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll

Mage Lvl 2
    Jewel Of the Dusk

Battle Standard Bearer
    Armour Of Caledor
    Amulet Of Light
    Great Weapon

Commander
    Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour, Shield, Star Lance
    Gem Of Courage

Core

21 Spear Elves, Musician + Standard
    10 Archers

Special

5 Dragon Princes , Full Command , Banner Of Ellyrion

Lion Chariot

19 Phoenix Guard, Full Command

10 White Lions, Musician

10 White Lions, Musician

Rare

2 Repeater Bolt Thrower
    2 Great Eagles

As fate would have it my opponent was gearing his list to take on Forest Spirits and Treemen/Kin, hence the inclusion of the Amulet of Light and the Starlance. I took my Eternal Guard list because apart from one go with it before I had not had the opportunity to really play with it.

Onto the game.

The Waywatchers deployed near the RBT (Repeater Bolt Throwers) and he spent a turn shooting them before they charged in and killed both RBT's.

The Eagles where shot down as a priority target by the glade guard and glade riders. His mages didn't really trouble me at all and I didn't get to see the HE magic in action. An early miscast killed one of the mages and the other was shut down fairly easily. My opponent kept trying to get a 5+ ward save for his spear elves.

The Highborn took on the dragon princes and killed all but one before they struck. The Commander and the last Dragon Prince tore through my unit of glade guard and were taken down by the wardancers (after several rounds of hit and miss from both sides).

I kept diverting the Spearmen with my glade riders and they never saw combat for the game. My big problem was the Phoenix Guard unit and the White Lions. The latter seemed almost impossible to take out with shooting. They just kept making their saves. So I charged in my Highborn and he took care of one unit (lost two wounds in the process).

The other unit was being marchblocked by the warhawk riders and a charge from the Wildriders finished them with one wildrider dead.

My small unit of eternal guard died horribly to his archers but the eagle and waywatchers managed to multicharge them. The waywatchers lost one member to the ASF rule but the archers couldn't win the fight.

The Lion Chariot, don't get me started on this bad boy. Charged into my Main eternal guard unit and killed 10 elves! My nobles managed to take 2 wounds off it but thank god for stubborn!!!

My other wardancer unit countercharged and managed to do one wound (after losing a wardancer). The static combat res of the Eternal guard meant that the Lion chariot lost and ran, pursured by the wardancers (straight into the Phoenix Guard). Two seconds later the Phoenix Guard had chopped them to peices. I charged my Eternal Guard into the Phoenix Guard and the true test began. I love Amber pendant and Merciw's Locus! These two items literally saved me. The BSB and the PG didn't get their strength bonus and I got to attack first with 8 strength 4 attacks.

His front rank disappeared and his BSB managed to kill one of the EG. EG won the combat and the PG held. My next turn the Wildriders charged in. I lost one to ASF but the PG suffered horrific casualties and fled. Wildriders ran them down. The rallied Lion Chariot charged the Wildriders and wiped them out, overrunning into my EG. I hate the Lion Chariot.

Another 5 EG dead to the Lion Chariot but the two nobles managed to kill it.

So you can see that the EG really did it for me. I am looking forward to using my "Standard" list against them but my opponent was very annoyed that there was no treemen for his Star Lance. Next time I will take more archers. Just seemed like I didn't have anywhere near enough shooting.

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Way to go. Sounds like ASF wasnt as bad as we all thought it was going to be. Im glad to hear you accomplished so much against an army that everyone is saying will tear through anything.

-BigPappa.
    Current Wood Elf Tourney List: 3/1/3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

The ASF will kill wardancers if you don't select the right dances. I really wished I had some dryads to battle the whitelions.

I think if he had taken another unit of archers I would have been in trouble.

I was really worried about charging my Alter in, the high strength attacks are a pain, especially since we can't get good saves.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    The Highborn took on the dragon princes and killed all but one before they struck.
    Um, huh? How does the Highborn (without Amber Pendant) kill Dragon Princes before they strike? What happened to their ASF?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentTempest View Post
    Um, huh? How does the Highborn (without Amber Pendant) kill Dragon Princes before they strike? What happened to their ASF?
    Easy, they fluffed their rolls

I was waxing lyrical.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Well his list was illegal, at least the BSB anyway.

Well done on this victory, and proving that ASF is not the be all and end all. I will be a happy ninja if this trend continues.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Just as I said. All armies have weaknesses. It's just that with new Codexi coming out, it will take a while to adjust to them.

-AFG

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Interesting report, Skars. Thanks for posting it.

After reading up on a few battles, playing one game, and talking to a lot of people about this new book, I have to say that I think this new HE is not nearly as powerful as the doomsayers were letting on. What amuses me to no end is that fully half of the army books are met with this kind of talk when they're released, yet each army is still uniquely defeatable.

This isn't to say that the new HE are not a good list - a lot of their stuff just looks plain mean, and I'm sure once the powergamers have a good sit down with it, we'll start seeing some fantastic lists. However, this new HE list may surpass us as a finesse list. I think maybe more so than the Wood Elves, each fallen High Elf just hurts. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fat in that list.

Solid win, sir. I'm curious to see how this new HE army plays out in the long run.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

actullly ginger, the bsb can take a great weapon according to the HE posts next door (it doesn't give the restrictions that some other books have where the bsb can't take a two handed weapon)

I still wonder how much of your win was based on your obviously better generalmanship versus the HE players newness to the rules and/or lack of tactics. I think there will be a lot of early slaughters because newbs are going to grab the HE army quicker than they used to grab the HoC army now. Also it will take some time for the more veteran players to figure out the strengths of the book. Personally, I'm suprised that the lion chariot made it into combat, and doubly suprised that there were no swordmasters, since these are easily the most dangerous combat unit the HE have.

Amber pendant should be money, for every WE player now (especially EG players) but think if your opponent had 11 str 3 (SM) attacks vs your EG before they got to strike, there would still be some carnage there.

Also, remember that his magic was defunct (and probably not as effective as a veteran player would play it)

I'm not trying to dog on you Skars, but I think the He book, while not overpowered, is going to be a real challenge for WE and several other armies to beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

GREAT WIN Skars I'm happy to see that the hunt went well for you to!!!

I'm going to have to disagree with you buck...this new army book isn't going to be that much of a pain IMO. Obviously, some HE units will walk through some of our units while others are going to struggle. White Lions and Swordmasters are going to walk through a lot of our army but they are easily countered with a Treeman. SM are vulnerable to shooting. White Lions will be a little harder to kill at long range but when the GG get that S4 at short range then White Lions are going to start falling. HE magic is just plain wrong and has great potential but it's just magic. Those are just some of my random thoughts.
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast