Magic Items changes due to High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Magic Items changes due to High Elves

Hi all,

I was pondering some of the ramifications of the ASF rule for the High Elves and some of the changes it would make for the selection of magic items.

For example, the Dawnspear is now a fairly useless item against High Elves. The ASF first rule negates the ability of the spear to protect the rest of the unit from the hits back as the HE units get to fight before the spear wielder.

This also means that in "Take all comer" lists or "Tournament Lists" this item will pretty much vanish as HE's will be the Flavour of the 2008 season.

The Amber Pendant is an item that may see a lot more use. Especially on high initiative Alter characters who have very little armour to protect them. So the "Standard Alter" may change to incorporate the Pendant or maybe two Alters will be run side by side. One as "Standard" and the other as "Pendant".

Are there any other items out there that you think will be see their useage change in light of the HE army book?

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to be the general consensus that tha Amber Pendant cancels out the ASF rule, but wouldn't they negate each other, and be decided by initiative? And if both sides have great weapons wouldn't they roll off to decide who takes precedence?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

The wording of the Amber Pendant is that models in base-to-base contact strike last, even if given an ability or item that lets them always strike first. So the item is not countered at all by Speed of Asuryan.

As for the Amber Pendant, if you're playing so that you declare magic items from the beginning, giving a character this item seems like an easy way to make him a target. Otherwise, you have to be very careful how you use the equipped character - if the end result is causing a few spears to strike last, it might not be worth it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyric the Mad View Post
    As for the Amber Pendant, if you're playing so that you declare magic items from the beginning, giving a character this item seems like an easy way to make him a target.
    Do you play this way Cyric? I have not played this way before as it negates any reason to take items like the Crystal Ball that give you insight into enemy magic items.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

A lot of the tourney's I've been to are open lists, so it's known what the other player is using.

How about Merciw's Locus? Taking away some of the bonuses to halberds and great swords could mean a lot.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    A lot of the tourney's I've been to are open lists, so it's known what the other player is using.

How about Merciw's Locus? Taking away some of the bonuses to halberds and great swords could mean a lot.
    That's a good point. A lot of people have defended Speed of Asuryan by saying "they're only S3 elves", but it's only actually the core units and shadow warriors that are strinking at S3 when they charge. Every other unit has some sort of strength boosting weapon.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

If I had a HE opponent the need for an AP wouldn't do too much, as I take one anyway, with the Briarsheath and a GW. Bring on that shooting!

Otherwise, I'd say Dispel Scrolls become more necessary than ever., as will any other forms of Magic defense (since the HEs now have too much magic, and they're just so ridiculously good at it), so watch for the Luminescents (I think that's it) to arrive.

Also, offensive shooting would be advisable (I think), so a variety of magic arrows would come in useful. And the Hunters Talon would come into it's own here, being able to snipe out wizards bravely hiding in their units.

Combat-wise, the Reaper should be efficient, with the Elves relying on high WS, and having low toughness and sad armour.

Not much else I cab think of, but if I can, I'll let you know.

-AFG

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I may be the only one, but I still think the HE magic took a hit. Their spells are better, but they can't fit out their mages very well anymore, since they took away the honors system. Plus their mages(characters) are so expensive, that it makes it difficult to justify 4 characters in some lists.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

From what I hear the HE level 1 mage is 10pts more expensive than a spellsinger. Is that right?
    Mirage Arcana Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    From what I hear the HE level 1 mage is 10pts more expensive than a spellsinger. Is that right?
    yup
    mage is XXXpts
    Last edited by Skarsgard; November 20th, 2007 at 01:12.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast