Special Characters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Special Characters?

I was looking on the GW site and came across these two characters: Ariel and Skaw. Are they special characters as in you need the other players permission to use them? Or can you field them at any time so long as you follow the rules for them?

Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

The new army books are being designed so that players can freely include special characters, so yes, you can. You couldn't if an event specifically said no special characters, like most of them do.

Skaw is great. I don't know why I don't run him but he's a solid character and not overpriced.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thank you DavidVC04. Another question or two. Where they(the two characters) in the other editions of the codices? Why are they not in the new codex?
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantianWarrior View Post
    Thank you DavidVC04. Another question or two. Where they(the two characters) in the other editions of the codices? Why are they not in the new codex?
    You mean army book. "Codex" is dirty talk 'round here.

They were both published on the GW website shortly after the book came out. Why they weren't in the book, I don't know, but it was the last book made in 6th ed. All the new army book releases include a plethora of special characters.

There wasn't an old army book--there were published rules that were considered a "test" rule set. It was there for a long time, evidently.

I didn't start playing WH in 6th ed., so there may be some people out there who have info I don't.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think they were but didn't play the game back then.But if i would give a suggestion on which character to get and play do skaw like the peeps before me said "he is good and not overpriced".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Actually I believe it mentions on their site twice that you need your opponents permission. Which really sucks. It was fun using Skaw to attack that building, making Chameleons Skinks hit on a 7+ with single shot....

Tankmaster got a bit worried about the prospect of me using Valten and Skaw, so he went lookies on the GW site and found this:This
    and the other piece of evidence was on the Empire section.

But if you can argue against it that would be much appreciated8Y.

-AFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Oddly enough, I have noticed a general trend lately towards making special characters really cheap.
    Observe the new Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Eldar, High Elf, Chaos Space Marine, etc releases.

All of them have special characters that are astoundingly cheap.
    The Blood Angels are foolish to leave without LeMartes.
    Abbadon has Nightbringer-esque stats at half the cost of the Star God.
    How many High Elf lists being written now have Caradryan or Teclis leading them?

I liked it better when special characters required special permission to use.

...That said, I can't say I appreciate bartering with my opponent to allow me to field Grombrindal the White Dwarf. (US WD#300. He's evil.)

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    There wasn't an old army book--there were published rules that were considered a "test" rule set. It was there for a long time, evidently.

I didn't start playing WH in 6th ed., so there may be some people out there who have info I don't.
    They were a Chapter Approved army. They appeared as a White Dwarf article and this is the first time they got an armybook, since 5th Ed anyway.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Nice find ArchonFarseerGuy. The thing or better yet the issue I have with GW is that all thee web sites are not the same. When looking at the U.S. site it did not mention you had to ask permission to use Ariel and Skaw. I could have missed it.

@Quick I agree with what you are saying. They are making 40K more streamlined. By getting rid of the"special characters" they are opening up the game so you do not have to ask to use them.

Is there a model for Skaw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Not anymore. In a previous Edition, he made an appearance, but GW axed him. So now he's on the site, requiring your opponents permission .

They recommend you convert one, but I use my standard Alter Noble.

-AFG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast