Extra bits: Who uses them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Extra bits: Who uses them?

So, based on comments in the other thread, I was just curious:

How many of the extra bits do people use. I'm talking about things like the daggers, extra basing bits, etc...

Personally, in the past, I've not used very many of them. I'm a slow painter and, when combined with an urge to paint all the bits in great detail, it's just a bad idea for me to be creating more work for myself. A little bit of a waste, perhaps, but a bit of a necessity too.

So what do other people do? Do you use heaps of bits? None? Somewhere in between?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

depends on the model. With the dryads, I used most of them to either make more dryads or add some extra branches reaching out of th ground. On the GR and GG, mainly used some of the extra branches. The daggers are unnecessary and all the imps look stupid to me. I'll even make my own banners if need be, the ones on the sprue, I don't like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I use a few of the bits. The spites look great on my great eagle base, I've used some of the big leafy bits here and there. The daggers I don't bother with because I like keeping the painting simple.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I haven't bothered with the daggers. One day I will.

I keep my pieces. You never know when they may come in useful. We've begun trading pieces with each other. It's my Empire pieces that they want more, but it's because I keep my extras that I can use them.

As for assembly, I use what makes it look cooler, but I try not to overload it (with expections8Y). Fir some sprues, I didn't even use the Command group, I prefer ti save most of mine, as mentioned earlier.

-AFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

ASG, sounds like you're a bit like me with regards to keeping everything. I don't think "anal" would be an exaggeration. All the bits come off the sprues and get divided up into different things, like base scenery, things that get stuck on this type of unit, things for that type of unit, etc. When I first started I even kept empty sprues because I thought I'd use them for something. (No, I don't keep sprues any more).

Because of my desire for all-round completion, I'm tossing up whether to take my 8 Glade Rider model from the battalion box and make:
    7 normal + musician
    OR
    5 normal + FC

The latter has the advantage in that I'll be able to make 3 units of 5 GR with musicians, which is the common way to use them. But then there's the nagging feeling that one day I might want to use a champ or SB.

Although I think sense and thrift may have to prevail, and a champ/SB will just have to be a "counts as".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I'd make 6 normal guys, a musician, and a champion. The champion doesn't have to be exquisite, just slightly special, maybe with a sword instead of a spear. I only ever use one 1/2 of the time.

Don't bother with a SB. If you really want one, make a cheap totem that resembles a slightly oversized spear.

-AFG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

For game play, only a musician adds anything to a unit of Glade Riders. I never use my standard bearer. A champion doesn't have to be that distinct. My Wild Rider champ is sometimes used as just a plain old wild rider.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

That's why I wouldn't do anything lavish with conversions from those 2. Chances are that I'll want them as normal troops later.

BTW, champions are useful. The amount of times I've left an opponent annoyed at issuing a challenge at some powerful character is worth it.

-AFG

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I convert my unit champions a bit. I don't always use the model as the champion though. I figure, every unit will have a leader but they wont necessarily be any better than the rest of the guys.

Unit champions have their place but some units should avoid them like the plague.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread