Alter Kindred - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alter Kindred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alter Kindred

I dont get why every1 uses alters

dont they just die once they charge in dont kill enuff and lose to the amount of ranks standard and damage back?

can some1 tell me how to use my alter!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it all depends on whta u wabt ur alter to do, also depends if he's a hero or lord.

i use my lord for shooting and he causes a load of damage and i mkae sure to keep him out of combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres a thought if u give an alter highborn does he have 5 shots with the bow of loren or just 4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5, because boe of loren takes attacks from his basic profile, seeing as he gets an additional attack added to his profile. i use it all the time with my alter looks at my army list and thats a nasty combination

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

well, I'm probably the last person who should be giving advice about alternobles, because mine always die ~ but not from ranked combat res but poor die rolling (4 1's to hit anyone?)

The alter is good for a lot of things, His movement is almost like flight. He has more attacks than 2 heroes put together (if given the helm of the hunt). Once again, he's one of the few sources of str.6 attacks you can get in the army (w/grt wpn of course) He is very versatile. he's good in combination attacks, because, instead of just dryads attacking something, or glade riders flanking, you have 4-5 str 6 attacks coming which will boost your chances at success. He can also be sent on suicide missions to take out mages, where you know he'll lose, but still has a good chance of escaping. He's good at taking out warmachine crews, baiting units, killing fastcav, march blocking, etc. This is some of the reason for taking him. If you use him right, he shouldn't die (unless you roll dice like I do) and you can give him protection. My usual setup is

Helm of the Hunt, Stone ofthe Crystal Mere, lt armor, grt wpn, shield

I play a more combat-oriented list, and don't like the bow of loren because of the str 3 shots (which rarely kill anything) If you're playing a lot of knights(HoC, Brets), then I could see it's value, but would probably still prefer my setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

First of all Nhoj, it was kind of hard to read your post. Please type in english.

Using an Alter to charge a ranked up unit by himself is a big mistake. They probably will lose combat due to ranks and standards. Sure, they will probably escape pursuit, but it still is a bad idea.

The only exception is to hunt down high priority targets like mages.

Other than that, he should be used as a support unit or an assasin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Not to get off subject but I was reading about great weapons and shields.

Helm of the Hunt, Stone of the Crystal Mere, lt armor, grt wpn, shield
    Now how can the Alter benefit from a shield when he has a great weapon. It says in the rule book if you are wielding a great weapon you can not use a shield. So why give the Alter a shield?
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

You can't use a shield and a greta weapon AT THE SAME TIME. The shield is there to provide more protection against ranged attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can also be used instead of the great weapon in combat for 2 more points of save if you need it. This has allowed me to survive a character in a chariot charging me long enough to killl the Orc on top.
    Of course he was still chased down when he ran off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thanks for the information. Now back on topic.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast