Wood Elf vs. High Elf - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood Elf vs. High Elf

I frequently play a High elf player and can't seem to find ways to counter ASF and the Dragon Princes High Armor Saves any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

ASF: Shooting, amber pendant, flank charges. Against spear men in particular, you can drastically reduce incoming attacks by simply hitting them on the side. Always shoot when you can though, as high elves are about as squishy as we are.

Armor: Shoot in the rare case that you have the resources to. otherwise, flank them with wild riders. You should only be getting 1 (2 if they are dragon princes) ws5, s3 attacks before your riders strike. In the rare chance they take a rider down, you still have 4 s5 attacks as well as the horses to tip tha balance in your favor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

High +Saves? 2 words for you: Arcane Bodkins. You'll never find a unit bigger than 10 (and that should be a points sink rarity). Even one wound per turn will cripple the small unit. It will also help in the future when he decides to use White Lions.

As for their ASF, IMO it's all about surviving their attacks. Take Forest Spirits, their resilience will help a lot and they dish out a lot of pain (plus, Fear will always help).

For Wardancers, don't use their own ASF dance, I'd prefer to use the 4++ personally so you can hit back and dish out much more pain.

Another investment to consider is the Amber Pendant. I run it all the time and it works like a charm, and I don't face HEs. A GW-equipped Alter will do well, especially against small units.

-AFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the arcane bodkins that is what I'm using now but the problem I run into is that with only six shots altogether for the whole game I focus those shots on his mages, or occasionally on his dragon when he brings it. So I have to make the choice between getting blasted by his magic or dealing with those dragon princes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If possible, I recommend investing in some waywatchers, always good at causing a hinderance to High Elves. Dont invest in big units, to hard to find hidding places. for them all.

I got 3 Lethat Shots in first turn out of 5, and wounded the with other two.

Great use for taking away ranks, and causing panic checks. Plus caused him a big problem, of choosing whether or not to turn and charge waywatchers for next turn or get shot for a few more turns.

Alter Lord is always useful against high elves, as many dont have a ward save to back themselves up, so goodbye, and see you in the chaos relm. (no idea why i choose that as a reference, maybe because ive been playing path of glory to much lately. LOL) :party:
    Sunday 20th July Wood Elves vs. Brettonians
    Mission: Flank Attack (Brettonians attacking)
    Score: Wood Elves - 4181
    Brettonians - 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alter Highborn + arcane bodkins + bow of loren + briarsheath in a wood. works wonders on cavalry and everything else

waywatchers + another wood. great for general annoyance

1 noble with hail of doom great for sword masters.

His army should be small enough to slip a small CC unit behind his lines to take out their archers and bolt throwers
    http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk4_8583 - A good browser war game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Not much else to add to whats been said above, but if you're tailoring yer list just for him, the alter highborn is the way to go. He was soo useful against so many armies i got sick of him. As long as he's not magic heavy and thus blasting your woodies into their composite atoms, deployment is the way to win. hold back to unit(s) designed to beat the problems in his army (dragon princes by the looks of it) and just fade from them, making them cop armor-eating arrows all day. When he realises that his uber knights are'nt hitting anything, he'll think twice about using them. oh and shoot the chainmail outta swordmasters!

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

How many points do you play? If you're at 2K or more, then that item allowing you +1DD per spell that uses 3 or more PD may be a sneaky investment. Considered using it for next VW, but then I decided not to use WEs. Very sneaky against a magic-heavy opponent.

-AFG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well since i play both armies the biggest annoyance for me is flyers.Try this setup for mages:

Noble 181 pts.
    Spear
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Great Eagle
    A Pegeant of Shrikes
    The Hunter's Talon

This setup takes care of the need for a flyer and the shootyness to take out those pesky mages.

Yak
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An eagle can work wonders for redirecting charges and the like. It also hunts down thosae annoying reapeater bolt throwers - but you'll not be short of things to do that. Use eagles and glade riders to bait charges, expose a flank and charge in with wild riders or wardancers. Another main worry, is magic, as magic missiles can ruin your day, so make sure you have some solid magic defense.

Bow of loren + arcane bodkins is an option, but only if you haven't got anything better to do with your lord slot.