Treemen and Combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Treemen and Combat

A guy I know used to play an unorthodox Wood Elves army with 50 archers and two Treemen. True to form, Mark played it unorthodox, too, in that he rarely took the Treemen into combat. Instead, he'd wander around the table with them and Stranglerooted enemies to death.

His massive amount of shooting was incredibly difficult to overcome, and he never risked giving up the VPs of his Treemen.

Do you think this cockeyed strategy will hold against most armies? I remember it as a strong list, though it was a relatively small gaming group. 10 guys on busy days. 14 for a tourney.

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

surprisingly enough i think it would work brilliantly. I have run an all GG list and that worked very well, i don't know why i didn't think of 2 treemen archer style, i think thats brilliant idea

hmmm, this friday i am gonna give that a go
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Tossy, it was a difficult list to beat. You could expend a lot of effort and only eliminate 3 out of his 5 archer units.

His heroes were also very pared down, hardly any points spent. He'd fill out the list with Dryads, Treekin, or scouts. But he mainly shot you to pieces.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

The problem I have with this is that you spend xxx points just to get an artillary dice worth of shots (my average is 4 hits of which only 1-2 wound). That's an extreme wast of points in my opinion. The treeman is specifically built to support combat in my opinion.

My feeling is that this army would be decent against T3 infantry based armies. Armies with really good magic would eventually beat the army (WE never seem to get enough dispel dice and just a few decent magic missiles can really hurt a WE army)
    Armies with T4 and some decent armour, might shrug a lot of the shooting off, especially if the terrain was set so that it would be hard to fire all the shots at 1-2 targets.
    Armies with decent screens would also give this army fits. The main army I can think of is a skink/salamander heavy lizardman army. Skinks are harder to hit, move faster, shoot more (with poison), can use terrain well, and are usually backed up by Kroxigors (not a treeman's favorite). Salamanders have really good range, can also sit in trees, and don't have to even roll to hit. They'll burn up GG in a hurry.

Skaven might be able to deal with these, if they maxed out on slaves. You can have decent leadership with them and they move fast, have great shooting, scouts and tunnellers and will make it to your line before you can kill them all.

Playing against an army like this would be the pits though. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing 40k. I just can't stand moving around while my opponent sits there and spits dice at me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Skaven would hurt a lot, and so would magic and war machines.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Surely he can't get LOS with all 50 archers, I can struggle with 30.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    Surely he can't get LOS with all 50 archers, I can struggle with 30.
    Sometimes he wouldn't, but they would get to shoot at something before the game was over. Sometimes, he'd spend 2 or 3 turns just moving them to where they could shoot. By the end of the game, there'd still be 20 or 30 of the buggers shooting at you.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Ive seen a similar list cause havoc against many opponents. Strangleroot and/or Terror can really hurt many if not all opponents in one way or another. And to be honest, they cause more damage then the Treeman in combat, with far less risk to the tree itself. ANd with 2 Treemen.. well it just gets mean.

For Ex, i watched one game where the 2 treemen stood in a forest each. Bret Knights moved forward. Turn 2, the Bret Knights took terror tests. They only have Average Ld, and it hurt. 2 Knight units fleeing, one straight off the board.

Thats with Ld8. Just imagine the chaos you can cause when facing Ld5 Skaven or Gobbos for example. The inital terror, with strangleroot killing smaller units like wolf riders fast, all combined with Panic checks etc. Its why 2 Treemen (+BSB incase they reach combat) is such an evil list. Ive seen it beat a Thorek gunline...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Ive seen a similar list cause havoc against many opponents. Strangleroot and/or Terror can really hurt many if not all opponents in one way or another. And to be honest, they cause more damage then the Treeman in combat, with far less risk to the tree itself. ANd with 2 Treemen.. well it just gets mean.

For Ex, i watched one game where the 2 treemen stood in a forest each. Bret Knights moved forward. Turn 2, the Bret Knights took terror tests. They only have Average Ld, and it hurt. 2 Knight units fleeing, one straight off the board.

Thats with Ld8. Just imagine the chaos you can cause when facing Ld5 Skaven or Gobbos for example. The inital terror, with strangleroot killing smaller units like wolf riders fast, all combined with Panic checks etc. Its why 2 Treemen (+BSB incase they reach combat) is such an evil list. Ive seen it beat a Thorek gunline...
    That was his argument. The treemen killed more that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I have been itching to use a lot of GG and treemen. I will have enough guys soon to pull it off. From the sounds of your comments, my opponents are not going to like this. I'm thinking about using 2 GG units, 2 scout units (just to be more mobile), a group of WW plus dryads and 2 treemen.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast