Army Battle Standard Bearer : Worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use the BSB?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always : he is a must and is always present in every battle

3 10.34%
  • Often : he is very usefull but I can't always afford him

7 24.14%
  • Rarely : he is good but his slot is too expansive

7 24.14%
  • Never : I rather take his slot for an alter, spellsinger, ...

12 41.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Battle Standard Bearer : Worth it?

The BSB seems to be forgotten in many wood elf army. Some people always take it others never. What do you think of it? What wargear do you give him? How do you use it? What unit do you join him to? etc...

Overall is he worth it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I'm going to refrain from voting due to the fact that BSB's in a wood elf army are entirely situational. In an EG based list, they are almost essential for that extra point of combat res and re-roll break tests. Toss on a magic banner and you've got an anvil that won't budge, come hell or high water.

In a "normal" hit and runny list though, I'd say no. The standard wood elf list relies too much on breaking enemies on the charge for the BSB to be very useful, and even then most of our army is too spread out to take advantage of it's effects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I voted 'never' because i personally never use him.

However, he still deserves a mention. The Eternal Guard of doom armies have to get their mileage out of him. As for purchasing toys for him, it's down to preference. Many take the Oaken Armor to make him survivable. Other options I know of include giving him a Spite (usually annoyance of nettlings) and something else (I've heard of Starfire Arrows, but usually Magic Banners, as they don't go towards his allowance)

Outside of that, the most common use of a BSB is in a double-Treeman list. A fellow WE player in my area runs this style, and uses him bare-bones, no equipment for less than 100pts. Run him on a flank using the two Treeman to shield him, or stick him with a unit of Wardancers and keep them close.
    Wardancers + Two Stubborn monsters that can re-roll break tests on one flank is nearly unbeatable.
    Sometimes people give him Asyendi's Bane so that he can fire the Hail of Doom Arrow.

Other than that, it comes down to preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Well, Wood Elves are unbeatable don't you know. Of course, now and then we throw a few games so that others don't get too discouraged.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Yeah, I agree with the others. Only take them in an army with eternal guard myself. If I ran a two treeman list I would also take him.

He goes in the EG unit when I use him. With a treeman list he would probably go in a unit or wardancers as has been stated.

Equipment is usually for survivability. Oaken armour and annoyance of netlings are the most popular.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

A BSB can join and benefit any unit, but the cost can be high. I generally play a list with only one banner, minimizing how many I can lose to being pursued in flight. A BSB can hurt the cause if he's run down.

If I did take one with the list I use, I'd give him Asyendi's Bane and the HoDA and stick him with some War Dancers. That would surprise the crap out of anybody.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

i really like having a BSB, i stick him in my wardancers with Stone of Crystal Mere (3+ward, until it fails) and Sword of Might (+1 Str) so he has 3 strength 5 attacks!

you have a nice combat character who is protected in wardancers, giving your unit +1 Combat Resolution for standard, as well as any wounds he inflicts and he also allows rerolls to nearby units, brilliant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maraschino View Post
    i really like having a BSB, i stick him in my wardancers with Stone of Crystal Mere (3+ward, until it fails) and Sword of Might (+1 Str) so he has 3 strength 5 attacks!

you have a nice combat character who is protected in wardancers, giving your unit +1 Combat Resolution for standard, as well as any wounds he inflicts and he also allows rerolls to nearby units, brilliant!
    I often use this combo too. sword of might is made for him. S5 attacks in an EG unit is most appreciated.

The tactica proposes a flying BSB (great eagle). I think it's a good idea but a little expansive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always have one. I run only elves so it is a must in my eternal guard unit. The one banner i personally like is the banner of Ariel. I know it is point heavy but it does give me some extra magic defense. Also, having a unit that is ld 9 stubborn, and causes fear is really nice. So i never worry about being outnumbered by a fear causing enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I have only used a BSB once but have thought about it often. He adds a lot to the dancers and there are some good combos for him like the one above.

Another combo I like is HotH, locus talisman, and biting blade. This might not be as good as the other kit but it offers some potential.

Overall, however, BSBs really don't fit into the general feel of WE. I think that something should be done to mesh the idea of a BSB into the army list better. Perhaps instead of actually having a 'banner'. there could be a character that acts like a BSB without the flag (similar to Slann priest). An inspiring warrior like the general. It could be interesting because removing the burden actually holding the standard would allow for more freedom with the character's equipment. The character still wouldnt be allowed to the general or have a kindred. This would make a 'BSB' more of a choice.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

When I take a BSB I use the Asyendi's Bane and the HoDA trick and stick him with a wardancer bodyguard. Having a BSB who is also ITP is great.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 19th, 2008, 03:43