Waywatcher Deployment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Waywatcher Deployment

I played my first game in over 2 months last week and I ran into something about WW deployment. I went to deploy my WW unit in a forest in the enemy's deployment zone and he proceeded to tell me that I couldn't do that. So we consulted the the WE army book and it still seemed to me that I was in the right. He however thought that it proved he was. I went with his call because I am nice but I'm pretty sure I see tactics here that support my idea (and I believe this discussion has come up before somewhere). His argument came from the phrase "exactly like scouts, but with no min distance," and since scouts can't deploy in the enemies deployment zone, neither can WW. Can some of y'all expound on this topic. Thanks!

Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Where in the rules does it say that scouts can't be deployed in the enemies deployment zone. Not in the section on the scout rule.

So as long as you can find a spot in his deployment zone that has cover and is more than 10" away from any of his units, you can deploy in his zone. Waywatchers have no minimum but for most situations you will need to be 2" inside woods to stay out of sight.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I have not found a spot where it says you can't deploy scouts in the enemy's deployment zone, that is what he was claiming. I tend to believe that others are right over me because they have been playing longer, so I thought that maybe there was just something I was missing. So Then I was completely right?
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

No, he's wrong. Besides that being the whole point of scouts (I mean, who tells their scouts, "See those woods next to the Eternal Guard? Go there and scout for enemies.). Besides that, there's the fact SirKentley points out. As long as you are 10" away and out of LoS, then you can deploy there. WWs can deploy right out in the open if you want, at 12". Heck, in the middle of the board if it so suits you.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

You were completely right. The scout rule says anywhere on the board. His deployment zone is somewhere on the board so it is a legal spot for scouts and in turn, waywatchers.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always deploy WW in my opponents deployment zone, and as close as possible if theres a wood around there they can hide it.

I had an opponent last sunday who placed a wood in the middle of his deployment zone, since im so nice I asked if hes sure he wanted it there. He said yes, so I deployed my WW there and they march blocked half his army. At one point he moved into the wood to charge next turn to try remove the WW so i just used the dmg part of tree singing to put an end to that.

If the terrain on the board allows you to take this kind of option i would highly recommend it with WW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ethsar46 View Post
    I always deploy WW in my opponents deployment zone, and as close as possible if theres a wood around there they can hide it.

I had an opponent last sunday who placed a wood in the middle of his deployment zone, since im so nice I asked if hes sure he wanted it there. He said yes, so I deployed my WW there and they march blocked half his army. At one point he moved into the wood to charge next turn to try remove the WW so i just used the dmg part of tree singing to put an end to that.

If the terrain on the board allows you to take this kind of option i would highly recommend it with WW.
    This is part of why I like WE - training your opponents not to be dumb. WE are like the shock collars of fantasy. Go into the woods and you shall be punished. Expose a flank and you shall be beaten. Get headstrong and put all your points into a god-unit - it shall be ignored. I'm pretty sure Pavlov would be a WE player.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

sirkently and DavidVC04 are spot on. I played with WW this past Sunday. I think that they would have done better if I had moved them the first 2 rounds. I for gotten but they did kill a troll.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Times like those are when you really need to have a rulebook on your hands. In case of debate, it's always best to have a point of reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by arishnakoger View Post
    Times like those are when you really need to have a rulebook on your hands. In case of debate, it's always best to have a point of reference.
    Yeah he had the full rule book and glanced at it; I guess he read the part he wanted and ignored half of the rule! I figured he could read... Oh well, it is in the past, "live and let live." However, next time I wont let someone pull that on me.
    San Antonio Alamo GT

+ Reply to Thread