Vs.empire shooting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Vs.empire shooting

Recently, I've been having a bit of empire troubles. I'm not talking about cheesy gunlines, I'm talking about a solid all around list.

Pretty much, It consists of 1 or two blocks of infantry (along with detachments)in the middle with range weapons on the hills skirting the flanks. As simple as it is, it is devastatingly effective. The range units on the sides put out 10 shots, which can cripple our (well, at least my) small combat units and any prospective flee bait, such as glade riders.

So far, the best strategy I've been able to pull off is to set up every prospective charge on a single turn so as to minimize the enemy shooting phase, but even then the damage my units sustain outweighs the points they kill/overrun cheap empire infantry, including heroes.

So, what to do? It may just be my rolling, but even when chances of survival are relatively good (long range, skirmishing), I always end up with a pile of dead elves and dryads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Just remember that unless you're facing Archers, all Empire ranged units have the generic 90 view. If your GRs can flick around their flank, you can be guaranteed at least 2 free shots at them as they flip around to see you.

If you're up against Handgunners, be happy. Our longbows do exceedingly well against them. Crossbowmen are more of a headache, this is where the first turn comes in handy. Shooting them first is generally a good idea.

One character configuration that I really enjoy is an Alter with the Briarsheath, Amber Pendant and GW. You can have Turn 2 combats, and you'll be hit on, like, 8s if you can position your free forest well.

This works VERY well if you can hide a WW with the HoDA behind their lines. Empire shooting units tend to be little bigger than 10, so one shot does very well, and he can easily take them in combat. That should be able to sort out 2 flanks with any luck.

What do you face in the way of Artillery?

-AFG//

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I usually ignore the big blocks and go for all the small units: detachments, gunners, war machines, knights. I go for things that are small enough or light enough that I can pounce them and win combat. Control table quarters, deny the opponent points, and win by a narrow margin.

I use screening units like Dryads and Glade Riders to absorb the worst of the shooting. Or deploy 20 or 30 archers and advance 5" at a time, shooting as you go, and keeping your combat units behind the archers, who serve as screens.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Against crossbows it is always a good idea to start only 5" in your deployment zone as you can move and shoot with no penalty.

I agree that you should wipe out the "soft" targets first and then concentrate on the blocks. For the heavy cav, an Alter noble does wonders.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

I play WE and my brother plays empire. I can play it nearly weekly and it can go either way.

But best results I got the other day was this:

High Lord on Dragon with Arcan bodkins and bow of loren

First to handle a gun line you need one of your own. I usually field 3 units of 10 GG each thats only 360 pts. You don't need banners you can pay for the musician if your dying to but I don't.

My brother hates my treeman, just totally does not want anything to do with it so if you can take at least one and put it in some trees and treesing it to him. For them to take a terror check they only have to be 6'' they don't need to be in LOS.

a Unit of 3 treekin, no champion. I don't take champions they are just fodder to lose them in challenges anyway.

After that take a mage and some dryads. Give the mage the stave that allows that mage to cast treesinging as much as they can.

I then rounded out with a noble in a block of EG and 2 units of 6 WR w/banner each.

this was ridiculous, my dragon didn't do anything except get my lord around but 4 str 3 shots that hit on 2 and kill on 4 or 5 that allow no saves whatsover are awesome. Then 30 shots a turn I wittled down his damn cavalry. After they were weakened I charged in and broken them easily.

only problem is that he dicked around with the dragon a while and if he had just gone for it I would have had no chance at all.

Hope it helped, good luck

+ Reply to Thread