Dryads: Units Size - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Dryads: Units Size

I know most people stick by 8 being the best number. It is obviously the cheapest as well as the most efficient in combat. However, when figuring victory points being at 50% gives the enemy half their points so you can only lose 3 models (you can lose 4 with a unit of nine). Likewise, unit strength 5 is important for claiming quarters and getting flanking bonuses. Having nine seems to be make the unit more useful in game terms yet is still decently cheap.

What are your thoughts?

"...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I tend to take them in units of 12 anyway. Your idea has merit.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I like your idea for Dryad points-efficiency.

I'm with Skars though, I take mine in 12s (rather, 12), maybe one day I'll give 9 a go.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I usually take mine in units of 8.

Here are my reasons:

1) They are cheapest
    2) They are easy to maneuver with a small footprint for getting by other units
    3) You have to be down to your last dryad before you can't rally them.

Number 3 is the most important. With 8 a unit of 2 can still rally, whereas with 9 to 12 you need a minimum of 3 left. Can't count the number of games where I had 2 left, rallied them and hid them to save VP's.

That is my reasoning.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    I usually take mine in units of 8.

Here are my reasons:

1) They are cheapest
    2) They are easy to maneuver with a small footprint for getting by other units
    3) You have to be down to your last dryad before you can't rally them.

Number 3 is the most important. With 8 a unit of 2 can still rally, whereas with 9 to 12 you need a minimum of 3 left. Can't count the number of games where I had 2 left, rallied them and hid them to save VP's.

That is my reasoning.
    That's pretty good reasoning.

I guess unit size for dryads depends heavily on style. Do you want to outnumber? Do you want to grab corners? Do you want to survive to the bitter end?
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thank you sirkently for pointing out that all you need is 2 dryads to rally if you have 8. I was stuck in 40k where you need 50% in order to rally. I to have been playing around with unit size of dryads . I love8 but have been looking at 10 or 12 to a unit.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first 1 used 2 x 12 units of dryads, but taking other players advice i changed it to 3 x 8. Ive now recently gone up to 3 x 10.

My reason is that I found missle fire to be annoying against the dryads as once you lose a few their nothing more then a tarpit unit and will almost always lose combat on a large modifier unless supported by fast cav in the flank/rear or a killy unit like WD.

Dryads tend to be more of a missle screen, and so far ive never roled the spell to negate non-magical missle fire :*( which in some games would of been really helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I keep my dryads at the minimum unit size of 8. They already have enough trouble with their big bases getting all of their number into contact.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Another reason for larger units is to take greater advantage of fear, especially in conjunction with wild riders, treekin, or a treeman.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally ive always liked 8 with a branchnymph, even if i lose a few to shooting i can always match up to most enemys front to get the most attacks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. July 4th, 2008, 23:27