Starting wood elf army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting wood elf army

Hey im startin a WE army pretty soon and i was wondering whats a standard amount of points for a warhammer army. I play 40k and started checkin out some of the fantasy models and am impressed. Im wondering what a good way to divide up points between characters, core, special and rare. I made up a 2000pt list and it feels like i dont have enough core units (2 10x glade guard, small squad of glade riders, and 2 small squads of dryads) and way to many in characters (Treeman ancient, 2 spell singers and a noble at 895pts) like are character worth that many points.

I'm obviously going to have to try out some sample games, but i was jsut wonder what peoples opinions were

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much like you said mate, your gonna hve to try out some games and see what happens.

Dont worry too much about your characters points costs, as the treeman ancient is gonna be a big thing against that. in my 2000point list my characters, add up to roughly 700 points. WE arent exaclty the cheapest army point wise.

But when you get into the swing of things, you could probably destroy anything.
    Sunday 20th July Wood Elves vs. Brettonians
    Mission: Flank Attack (Brettonians attacking)
    Score: Wood Elves - 4181
    Brettonians - 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

The most common 'full size' game is 2250 PTS. It sounds you have quite a few core units, so not to worry. I would say that having almost half your points in characters is a ton. However, as mentioned above, treemen are expensive. I've never used one, just don't want to. I take a highborn, lvl 1 spellsinger, lvl 1 branchwraith, and an alter noble. As far as core goes, I take EG, 2x GG, Dryads, GR. Many people take 2-3 unit of dryads though. Hope this gives you some ideas and insight!
    Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll find that most WE generals will spend a fair decent amount of points on their Lords/Heros.

My current 2250pt army spends just over 700pts on heros and core.

800+ for 2000pts is excessive imo however. It would seem to me that your overloading on gear at that point range.
    Id suggest only 2 spites at most on your ancient to keep him under 400pts (Radiants and Annoyance). If your just using the singers as magic defence keep them at lvl 1 and take at least 2 scrolls. And your noble should stay under 200pts, preferrably around 150pts (standard alter kit).

Also depending on what you take in your special and rare slots you might want to change your core choices.
    Ie, if you take 2 or more WR units you wont need many GR units, same goes for warhawk riders.
    If you taking wardancers then you'll be lacking fast moving units and will probly want 2+ units of GR to remove rank bonuses from enemy units.

Ive also been speaking to the current top ranked WE playing in Oz (Ranked #5 overall) and he said he always writes up a battle report after each game so he can go over what mistakes we're made and where he might need to improve, this seems like very good advice to me and ill be doing this in a tourny in 1.5 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a 2000 pt list I try to put at least 3 units of 10 GG(360), 1-2 of 5 WR w/banner (148 or 296), Lord on great eagle w/arcane bodkins and bow of loren (250-300 or so), one tree man(285), 2 units of dryads (size depending on philosophy 8-12 per unit) and depending on pts left over with random banners/magic items/spites and such I will take a lvl 2 spellsinger w2 DS and lvl 1 caster Branchwraith.

But Lots and lots of people will say "WHERES THE WARDANCERS?" or some such, and I say "You play your way I play mine".

You can borrow a store army, or a buddies army, or proxy units with pieces of cardboard or 40k units to figure out what units you like so you don't have to have one of every unit like me(most of which never makes it out of my case), unless you have loads of cash or have an employee friend like I do that gets me my stuff dor 50% off.

Good Luck, Wood Elves rule!!!

+ Reply to Thread