Battle Against Dark Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Battle Against Dark Elves

Today I played a game against the new DEs, my fourth against the new book with the same opponent each time. The guy is my Doppleganger, a teacher named Dave though about 10 years my junior.

I had brazenly good shooting dice in the first 2 turns, and he had equally abysmal armor save dice. In one turn, I destroyed a unit of 10 warriors with crossbows. The level 1 sorceress that had joined the unit was left standing alone on the hill with 1 wound left, so I popped my Hail of Doom Arrow on her before she could duck behind the hill or into the unit of spear elves. Meanwhile, the Highborn eliminated the six Cold One Knights in the first 2 turns.

The Dark Riders were easily dealt with, though the sole remaining member of a Wardancer troupe did go down on a charge against a Dark Rider. That took about 4 turns, though, as did the bolt throwers.

I liked the inclusion of the Warhawk Riders. They really opened up some opportunities. I'd take them again against DEs.

The Wild Riders got pinned at the end of the game and were rolling ward saves against hydra breath but they managed to keep one guy alive and stay at half value.

I did charge an assassin head on. If it had been the tournament, I would not have charged the unit, but I wanted to see just how badass the assassin was. He popped it and pumped out a bunch of attacks. I had four saves to make and made two of them. I put all of my attacks on the unit but killed only one model. Still, I had unit size, a banner, and the war banner, along with the one wound. Fear broke the unit and they were run down. The lesson learned was this: when you're facing an assassin, tell him to kiss his skinny Dark Elf ass just before you trample him into the mud.

His magic wasn't all that impressive. I knew to try and stop the Power of Darkness spell but failed every turn. I'd roll two dice to his one and lose again and again. I never rolled above a 4. Still, after I killed his one magic user early on, he was limited. I was able to dispel his fire lore long enough to deal with the unit.

The Hydra was a real problem. He just avoided my Treeman and chewed up other units. That breat weapon is a killer.

He also had a highborn on a manticore. I avoided it, though I did fling a doomed unit of Dryads against it, unsuccessfully, hoping to wound the beast.

His chariot also got me. I misjudged its charge range, as usual, and paid the price with dead dancers and alters. It was a dreadful 2 turns where he wiped 240 points in archers and 450 points in characters. The manticores and hydra joined the fun.

I won only by 81 points, and if not for the phenomenal shooting dice in turns 1 and 2, could have been a very different game.

I have to say, I have toughness envy when it comes to dark elves. They can put some real beasts on the table, and some have armor and others regenerate.

Last edited by DavidWC09; September 1st, 2008 at 07:21.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I belive that yse, if your first two rounds werent lucky u would have trouble, but warhammer is a dice game so...

I play dark elves and i have to say one thing, what i hate most is the enemy killing my Hydra, chariot and Dark Riders, my warriors are always at the frontline to just die. The Cold Riders are there just to make you fear and attack them, if you charge em first your are happy if not, just dead.

What I have to say in general the Dark Elves, they way i play them, are powerfull in the beggining and the end of the game. In the main battle there is not much to be feared from them, so... try to give em casualties at their main units in the begging of the game, even if a hydra survies with few wounds still the player will think again before attacking nearby units, finnaly its not that hard to kill.

The charactes are not that hard as they might seem to be.

My thoughs my style of play

-CyDoN
    Black Legion
    Tau 5/0/1 World Eaters 0/1/0 Eldar 4/0/0 Death Guard 1/0/0 Space Marines 2/0/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I find elven characters easy to kill. T3 is a lot of fun to face.

I haven't faced the new DEs yet, I saw them in action last week against Lizzies. I couldn't find out enough to draw an accurate conclusion of meaning though.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

That hydra's a tough nut to crack. Getting that breath weapon's strength down makes a huge difference, but sliding the wounds through ain't easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya,

My brother and I play against each other alot, he usually plays empire but proxied DE's the other day to see what they are like. I'm totally sure it was his troop choice but I was totally unimpressed.

He had 1 caster,1 hag, 1 assassin, and 1 other hero that had an item that made me miscast if I rolled doubles within 12'' of him. besides that he had 2 units of shades, 2 units of corsairs, 2 units of crossbowmen, 3 rbt's, a unit of something with 8'' handguns, and a unit of fast cav with crossbows in 2250.

My 2250 is as follows. 2 units 11 dryads, 2 units 10 GG, 2 units wild riders (1 unit of 5, 1 0f 6 full command on both), 2 treemen, 1 lvl 2 spellsinger w/2 DS, 1 lvl 1 caster branchwraith(cluster of radiants), and my lord on dragon w/BoL/AB.

I played by 2250 tournament list I will run down the phases in general.

Charge:
    The whole game he only charged me once and this was because that unit of troops were frenzied with a hag in it, I mixed in one of my treeman level with 1 unit of dryads. First turn, He killed 4 dryads I killed 2 De's (don't ask, horrible rolls) lost but didn't run way in fear. Second turn I charged in the flank with a unit of my WR's, he broke and that was all she wrote.

I charged his crossbowmen, he ran, then failed rally and went off the board, yay!

2nd turn I used my dragon to charge a unit of his crossbowmen, panic-ed them, overran into an rbt for next turn, next turn, wiped that out.

Movement:
    As an elf army w/5-10 movement he was closing on me fast since he had first turn. He didn't really get to use it all that well though since I stayed behind as much cover as possible with his RBTs.

Shooting: His first turn of shooting ended up with 1 whole unit of 10 GG wiped out, the other unit thankfully only took 1 wound. Like 3rd turn shot up my WR unit that I forgot to move away, 18'' movement with 24'' shooting, not used to that. My best shooting came at the end of turn 5, shop was closing up, so it was last turn, after overruning that frenzied unit from charging section I got my dragon, 2 treemen, and 6 left over GG in range and opened up. Flame template, 2 artillery dice of str 4 hits (14 total) and 6 bow shots!!! Holy crap did he go down like a circus seal.

Magic:

He had 1 caster, He rolled piss poor and got nothing off, but besides I had 5 dispell dice and 2 dispell scrolls ( never had to roll and DD or use a scroll killed caster 2nd turn.) However, I had 2 bound lvl 3 treesinging, plus 5 casting dice. Just treesung the trees around to get my cover closer up the field. Used my invul to shooting spell to safeguard treeman when in the open.

At the end he had 2 rbts left, (poor placement way off to his right when I placed all my stuff to his left) the Assassin and his entourage, 1 unit of shades, and 1/3 of the unit I shot to hell with dragon and 2 treemen., probably total of 1000 pts, I had lost 1 unit of GG, 1/2 unit of WR's, had 2000 points left, plus his 2 banners from hag unit I ran down, he had no table corners, I might have had 1.

He had no hydras, first time playing that army, was trying to do a themed list, and was against my tournament list. So no actual massacre here it was just mitigating circumstances.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I'd be interested to see your lists or witness a game. Yes elves are easy to kill, but it doesn't sound like DE player knew what he was doing really. DE can have good magic, but they have to emphasize and protect those magic users just like any other army. I'm not saying the WE army is weak, because it's not. I think you may have had the advantage because you've played your army and know exactly what to do with each unit.

Your shooting could have easily been shut down with several of the DE spells which affect shooting and WS/BS. One of the most challenging aspects of playing DE is now their magic is very tactical. It can really make or break a game but you have to cast the right spells at the right time and have just the right amount of dice management to make it work.

The assassin is one of the more overrated new units and frankly not worth taking in my opinion. DE can be super shooty, but the power of their shooting comes from (like our HE friends) Repeater Bolt Throwers and character shooting, not from the core troops.

I love playing every faction of elves because each one presents a challenge to play and play againsts.

@ Miango, your army list is hardly fair compared to your brothers. You have 3 terror causers and he has a bunch of T3 core troops. If you didn't win that match then I would expect you to lose against an army of newborn kittens as well. Someone needs to help both of you with your army lists. That's all I'll say before I lose control and type something I shouldn't.
    Last edited by buckero0; September 11th, 2008 at 22:12.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

No, he's a very capable player. This was a different list for him, just to try something new.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Now ive never played against Wood elves, but you'd think sicking a Hydra on some treemen or treekin would be intersting, those things are flammable right? And the flaming breath of a hydra with all its wounds should be easy to wound those things right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

The hydra is a tough one to wound, but once you do, that breat weapon is much less of a concern.

Treekin are more vulnerable since he can fire a blast down their line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Ive played DE 6 times with 5 different armies and won every single time, but honestly i have mainly only been facing gimmicky armies (4 units of BG, Dragon+ 2 hydras) but the most balanced one i have played against was also the closest to drawing, however I think WE are at an excellent advantage over DE. The only thing to fear are the Hydras and dragons but that's most monsters. The number of bow shots/ multitude of attacks that WE can put out is just tough for unarmoured T3 troops can overcome. Moreover, we can choose our own fights so imo patience is key to fighting them and take points where you can. If you are greedy too early it will most likely end badly.

With that being said, I love the new DE book and think its the best book GW has put out in 7th/6th. I can't wait for someone to win a big tourny with them using a balanced army.
    Last edited by Orkimedes41792; September 13th, 2008 at 03:39.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast