Wood elf dragon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood elf dragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood elf dragon

well now I am going to convert the new high elf dragon to a wood elf dragon but while I was checking out the army list on this forum and noticed that no one uses it.

what is your experience with it and why do so few use it ?

Your avatar has been removed due to the size of it, please read the rules regarding the size of them allowed. - KU, Mod

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    well now I am going to convert the new high elf dragon to a wood elf dragon but while I was checking out the army list on this forum and noticed that no one uses it.

what is your experience with it and why do so few use it ?
    I used it once in a 3k pts game v.s. dwarves. He actually was very useful even if I have been a little unlucky at the beginning (dragon + lord all miss to hit on 3+ !!!)

I don't use him for these reasons:
    - don't have the model (I used a lego dragon!)
    - need a highborn, I take a spellweaver more often
    - makes a quite expansive model for low pts games
    - a little vulnerable because of his large target rule

However he is worth his points because of this:
    - very mobile
    - fly rule permits lots of possibilities
    - outcharges merely every units of the game
    - dragon has awesome stats
    - unit strength 7
    - terror + wraithstone = OMG!!!

I think it can be very good but your army will shrink, which is not quite standard for WE. I often play against gunlines so he doesn't tempt me very much. Nevertheless the alternative is very conceivable

Railarian55

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it seems like a sweet idea, i find that it becomes too much of a target. Any Warmachines will be targetting it, and you wont be able to hide it due to its Large Target status.

Its Also requires a lord and takes up a hero slot aswell, plus your going to want to kit out your highborn which increases the points value of it.

Also the dragon itself isnt quite as strong as some of the other dragons out there either.

That said, it is still quite strong and once you kit out your highborn they can kill alot, plus it can fly so its not that hard to get into combat, but its not strong enough to take on units by itself obviously.

If your going to take a dragon then id suggest you need to have some other fast movers which cant support, GR, WR and WHR are good support for a dragon.

Also, for some reason people seem to take the machine gun kit on a dragon lord, but you'll find that it will do better when geared for combat so you can make use of the dragons attacks aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

I just did a game yesterday with my wood elf dragon with a lord w/BoL and AB against a proxied dark elf army.

Yes, a HB on a dragon w/BoL and AB is close to 600pts. That is alot but the reasons you want him for a fast moving army are the following:

-Terror
    -Flying
    -Over unit strength 5 (negates ranks)
    -Large Target (so can see over close unit to charge further one back)
    -Get to the rear fast to March Block
    -I don't think flyers can be march blocked
    -Intimidation factor (yes, war marchines are targeting the dragon but that means that the toughness 6 creature with +3 scaly skin is being shot at not other things)
    -Points denial (in the game I played last night 2 treemen and HB on dragon, thats over half of a 2250 tornament list)

Here are some ideas on the dragon, with the bow and arrows and acid breath you can seriously screw with units you may not want to encounter directly, then you can put yourself in 6'' of as many units as possible and hopefully cause as many panic checks as possible. If you are smart you landed facing the rear or flank of a unit to charge into next turn.

As tooled as listed you do not want him to go against anything that is bad ass, no characters with lots of attacks, this is for use against str 3-5, toughnes 3-5 vanilla units.

Disclaimer:

Yes you can wiff with this dragon, last night on 5 dice hitting on 3's none hit, thank god lord also hit on 3's and wounded on 3's.

Yes this dragon can run away in fear, do not charge ranked up units in the front. Do not attack units with really great saves counting on them to fail so they don't kick your ass.

Good Luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best wargear for him is wraithstone, Crystal mere, and then you have 20pts to allocate into armor or weapons (HotH, is an obvious choice). I don't like giving him a magic spear as you lose +1S on the charge and the effect of the magic spear don't compensate its price when you have other better items that you cannot take then.

P.S.: if you want a shooty yet mobile highborn, the great eagle makes a good choice (or alter of course...)

Railarian55

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Railarian55 View Post
    The best wargear for him is wraithstone, Crystal mere, and then you have 20pts to allocate into armor or weapons (HotH, is an obvious choice). I don't like giving him a magic spear as you lose +1S on the charge and the effect of the magic spear don't compensate its price when you have other better items that you cannot take then.

P.S.: if you want a shooty yet mobile highborn, the great eagle makes a good choice (or alter of course...)

Railarian55
    I agree that the wraithstone is an excellent item also. The dawnspear still gives the +1S on the charge as it counts as a spear. And I also agree that for a shooty highborn alter or an eagle are the best choices.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry,

just as mobile but Not:

-a Terror causer
    -Over unit strength 5 (negates ranks and can use it as an anvil to a charging hammer)
    -Large Target (so can see over close unit to charge further one back)
    -Intimidation factor (There is no scaryness to an eagle you can shoot out from under a HB and leave stranded or lose your general in one easy turn of shooting)
    -Points denial (there is no points denial strategy by taking a 50 pt great eagle)

Oh its soooo easy to say "yeah, an eagle is just as good" but how about actually discussing the points I've brought up pros and cons, hmmmmm?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

All you points are valid. And most are what make a dragon great for a combat highborn. The issue is putting a shooty character on a dragon. You are wasting some of the best combat potential in the army by trying to stay out of combat so you can shoot.

What I am saying is why pay the points for a combat dragon that you don't want in combat. If you are paying for the bow of loren and arcane bodkins, you want to use them every turn possible. An eagle gives you the same maneuverability without the huge point sink.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok,

So have you ever taken the HB with the eagle and have it shot out from underneath you??? A dragon on your flank is a huge distraction on turn 2 or 3. Who the hell is charging forward without slowing down another unit to counter charge or just flat out turning around in fear. I say that even if I take the HB combat loaded anyone who isn't an idiot is going to direct the attacks against the HB on the dragons back and we do not have the saves for that.

Yes, a small amount of combat value is lost when taking the bow combo but I still charge in in the scenarios I already mentioned, plus I get the flexibility of flying all around the board to cause as many terror checks as possible.

You're thinking that a dragon is for charging in and kicking ass but again I reiterate.

-Points denial
    -Causing terror checks on possibly low leadership troops (as many as tactically sound)
    -no armor saves on +1 save knights is so awesome,Hit on 2, kill on 4, who needs to charge them?
    -Acid breath Only str 2 but -3 save? thats cool.
    -Plus I can still charge in kick butt from the rear, Hopefully at the same time another unit charging from the front, unless it was a treeman I can't remember the last time I charged the front of an enemy unit without someone in the rear or flank.

So 600 points is alot but how much is it worth to possibly make the opponents line completely crumble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to jump back a sec, but lets discuss of what Sirk said earlier

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    The dawnspear still gives the +1S on the charge as it counts as a spear.
    The rulebook states that magic weapons ignore all bonus given by equivalent mundane weapon unless explicitely stated (ex.: the dwarven master rune of kragg the grim allows the magic great weapon to retain its mundane bonus)

Doesn't the WE armybook states that the dawnspear and spear of twilight are spears only because of the wildrider kindred specification? That's how I understand it.

please tell me if I am totally wrong, it's not my first time i'm messed up by things like that!

Railarian55

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 6th, 2008, 01:50